1978 Sea Nymph SS160 resto

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 1978 Sea Nymph SS160 resto

If possible would like to see pic of same area on outside. Wondering how bad the keel has deteriorated. Might help everyone.

For kicks did an advanced search on "cracked aluminum keel" and quite a few hits, suggestions, repairs.

Obvously can drill and stop the crack but from there it will be very interesting to see what suggestions come out.

You could shape a piece of 5052H32 alum. to fit into the area. Some combo of gluvit, gflex, 5200 would come into play between the patch and keel. Fastening it might be straight forward if you hit the flanges of the keel on outside ??? May want to make that piece a bit on loose side along edges....not sure on that part. The epoxy / 5200 would seal the gap.

I'll be following with interest.

Have you had your surgery and still doing all this stuff, let alone working outside ?

Yeah I was considering all of the above with the exception of when I do the flip, I will grind off all of the old JB on the outside and replace it with a nice smattering of marine tex. I plan on then sanding it down to a nice smooth shape that doesn't make it look like a humpback. I will also drill out the crack ends and fill the holes and pits with more marine tex. I have gluvit to top it all off on the inside keel repairs, seams and rivets. If any of those rivets keel are loose, I will use the Gflex on the outside as well.

I would love to be doing more but I get out and putter around cleaning and fixing for a couple hours, just to be on my feet every day and moving. I can't lift anything over 15 Lbs so my drill with a wire wheel fits the bill there. Having some very nice stable weather right now that's melting away all the ice and snow so being outside isn't so bad.

Watermann

A little progress over today with some more supports riveted in the hull to support the floor ply. The transom was cut and glued up nicely with the Titebond poly.

y4mYFUTO__4YU8FNGbUa7Fo2BLXotQZEl3Tkwq0cjkKX-0JYX8ZYa2jI6c1ye_8yDgdDLLwCxSwOO0EcuLMmOP_RZL5AdSVHbyipWyF56Ru4pKJVt9qTOc_4WsMJM--Ln744AQHbv2a0IQxB4Ump0fvf_Uo-aCiHQHS3DZ5cWXJ13YcX9-f2V2tEcKsyk40uObyz7OI_sgqQ1MSzO8qoRVJCw

y4m_HLjj48pL_ytIZn--9GFUuLJq0aH2CboRsaxhAzFaeShgft8YVip2xyb499IUrX6N1zVVF0A21UgbQe36KHCEvErAKvShNPPUdNDY5YQksR0fgMKrVdO7UxD64HZSdVQQTUVkexDO-YqOv17A3iV_tHUrZMyYYrP9uwoCPqrhjCAW8mtwAH12Qg0Ieo6sU7qQOHwmv2nOscaKVyeeYEKvA

I should be able to get the new transom cut to fit this weekend and some rivet repairs done, I found a place nearby that had a good supply of large flange SS rivets that almost break you to get them to pop. Not as purist as making a hammer and anvil setup to mush in solids but with a bead of 5200 in them, I bet these SS blind rivets are stronger and won't weep or leak. Besides they're on the bottom as well as under the deck so who will see them anyway. Oh yeah, still recovering from surgery but my friend was over to lift the heavy stuff for me.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral

Nice progress for someone with a 5lb limit. Floor support looks stout.

Watermann

What's your floatation foam plan?

I was thinking the best way for me would be to go the...

p_1000432910.jpg

Foam insulation boards, even though they seem to be expensive at about $27 a sheet for 4x8 in 2". I'm looking at about $150 - 200 but it's cheep insurance I guess.

The floor supports are 1.5" angle aluminum and I put them in centered on 4 feet so that the ply matches up to the next sheet over the top of the support. I have a couple shipments coming in next week to finish up the hull repairs, marine tex and gluvit should do the trick.

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's about right pricewise for flotation.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

That's about right pricewise for flotation.
Unless you're in Canada, where it's $27.84 at HD for 2' x 8' x 2" (double your price). It must be the exchange rate. - Grandad

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Unless you're in Canada, where it's $27.84 at HD for 2' x 8' x 2" (double your price). It must be the exchange rate. - Grandad

There isn't an exchange rate anymore GD, 1 CAD = .99 USD... and has been about even Steven for several years.

Y'all just use lots more of that stuff trying to stay warm up there in the great white north and the businesses capitalize on it.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice work H2O,

Pretty impressive considering still recovering.

Curious if you have a plan for re-enforcement for your seat bases? I assume your deck is 1/2" and will you keep that dimension ? Then what will you do under deck where seat bases sit? Mine was a piece of 1/8" alum. from factory where lag screws were used thru set base, thru deck and into alum. I see some use a piece of 3/4" ply under deck.

I see you have side by side Captn / Naviagtor seats, then one forward but is there another on rear deck ?

Congrats on moving forward !

Watermann

Nice work H2O,

Pretty impressive considering still recovering.

Curious if you have a plan for re-enforcement for your seat bases? I assume your deck is 1/2" and will you keep that dimension ? Then what will you do under deck where seat bases sit? Mine was a piece of 1/8" alum. from factory where lag screws were used thru set base, thru deck and into alum. I see some use a piece of 3/4" ply under deck.

I see you have side by side Captn / Naviagtor seats, then one forward but is there another on rear deck ?

Congrats on moving forward !

The upper decks are going to be 3/4" as they are weakened by cut outs for livewell and hatches. If that still isn't enough and they flex then I will brace them with some more angle aluminum or a beam underneath. I'm still trying to decide between 1/2 and 5/8 for the bottom decking. To secure my decks to the supports, I ordered 200 stainless "Sharx" screws in flat and pan heads. I will sacrifice some weight and expense for the strength in the upper decks where most of time will be spent while fishing.

I'm removing the monster rod locker from the floor plans since it took up so much space and became a big mess where everything got tangled up. The nav seat will go adjacent to the capt seat with enough room on the hull side to mount a rod holder to the hull.

Yes the back deck has a pin base and before I had only 3 seats so the nav seat also had a pin base and was removable to be used in the back when fishing.

I'm taking it very easy and my friend is doing a ton of work for me. Besides being a good friend, he has a 16 ft Smoker craft that's 25 years old and in dire need of a resto too.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

I'm taking it very easy and my friend is doing a ton of work for me. Besides being a good friend, he has a 16 ft Smoker craft that's 25 years old and in dire need of a resto too.

I had the same exact surgery several years ago. Mine was so bad they sewed a surgical mesh around the hernia, basically an indestructible patch. I waited way too long to take care of it. Definitely take it easy and let that wound heal before you go lifting anything!

Cool boat and plan, I'm tagging along here. Nice work so far!

Watermann

I had the same exact surgery several years ago. Mine was so bad they sewed a surgical mesh around the hernia, basically an indestructible patch. I waited way too long to take care of it. Definitely take it easy and let that wound heal before you go lifting anything!

Cool boat and plan, I'm tagging along here. Nice work so far!

Same here, open surgery with the mesh. I waited too long but the good news is the other side has already been done long ago so I hope it all stays good, this is miserable.

Thanks and I'll see you around!

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yikes,

What comes first, a Sea Nymph restore, a Sea Nymph forum or the twinge in the herniated area (for lack of a better description).

Very cool tagging along on your restos but lately getting some twinges in lower abdominal area reading thru your posts. I am on other side of 65 and going thru the roof with this cold and snow, but cant wait to catch up to you boys.

Nice work, good place to hang out. What a good feeling is in store for u all when you sit on a good resto hull, open that throttle, feel the mesh keep it all in place and enjoy the day.

Kudos to the Nymphers !

Watermann

Sunday finds me well with a drilled and freshly primed transom. I also cut and primed the side bunk boards for the trailer.

y4mHIcp7NMrbzFZ-h_Eh1CcPJZTXgdfjXeler5f5VHsvkuCGWm_sr88pFU8dhG4A-y4gcMAjrIMIAREJuV_heCk78Nd7kHGw-g0ewKsKNWOeXKbqNa9ieEihwvUpV3jAM3lLhWd8mPySYrgOXqTsO5dHtD1ZTbDmeVQcWPTymrBE7Pf6ubff8b8TUBRcLKjmFvHFatVl66ZKCTOHlca-hmNGw

The garage fridge.... well here's what's inside.

y4mW0iUboGo08Wa6N3oER9ZfZ3Q7VzF9U4Ozd2Bf2WJOLeRYJeQqPocPKVlHJfkHmJjan8fgVrFiGm6i_ghFVHSO5-Czr__r1IlQcdvDbqOo_xFtN0bvhegBUOtilItVohRCyhgKrDlVXMrcTx58uaqrXgy9aCie8PSJsO1J5UExJuXvXsgXaW2kEKJwKoOWmP6yNve3Mf4GtCcmbLf72BHiw

I keep my resto buddy happy and never thirsty as you can see. Frosty mugs above and 34 degree on tap that's fresh with plenty of CO2.

Last edited:

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beauty,

I would like to invest in this little boat company I see forming in the Great Northwest. First the Sea Nymph, then the Smokercraft and then knows where you will go. With all those wonderful big rivers must be a lot of potential customers.

What better way than to enjoy the days work / results than with a cold German Lager. Alpinelooks to be a neat little brewery.

:very_drunk:

Watermann

Weather was coming, the Buick kicked to the curb. Ok, it's awesome being inside under florescent lights and 240v heating.

y4mC3FxwByJHzFXZ6hOdyWUEzFK3rQYTADcq6VHbrjJeLXNv9ZSRz3FlesEdWP5h8Yjhzp3dl9UPG_1KRRtTLoMA6K7tGINN8lUmgndjJm4zIW_7Mik47IIEUHj74GhoHC7RRtghYqnn4sb9kirlb5D6gOKnOpIwjPVFLjsmNhf6W0ptOHXon1-EWejEIGILTRHexYk1nWQZHw3UOqzcz1WpA

Keel repaired on the inside with ... Marine Tex basting in the glow of a heat lamp. The small dabs are filling some pits.

y4mGY9-fGFje79s3z1gWGfHni7KPKuGWb2mRBwczqZDqh3yj1nCtFiBBQpWSWK6UnipJtx6F60o9ndLLnn_NgORInVxUvwbjuQggTwDjupRCAT0UpYETwF3TqJ2EEOG7oSW8glHTe9bZOk8YQZyHF6aHuK-SCs9wKomv6pWcBjGgU1dAzLXorGM1RH7gMOebdB5L48wq2SPFLydsKNxGR-8Kw

Last edited:

Watermann

Hull work done, after filling in transom pits with marine tex and gluvit over the keel repair, seams and rivets that were suspect. Now I'm thinking about primer and paint. I started stripping the old paint off. Oh lord what a major pain. First off this is a fishing boat that I will use and not a show piece restored to showroom floor condition. Her 35 years of use shows in battle scars and dents. I'm planning on using Blue Water Marine paint in 2 colors, a tan and dark brown that will match my seats and interior colors. The Blue Water is under $13 a quart, less than half Pettit and is still a poly enamel. 2 tones on the sides and leave the bottom just that, the bottom stripped of paint and just be aluminum. I found some Rustoleum self etching primer for a good price and have put some on a test piece of bar aluminum to see how well it does.

y4mkmDn2ek0kKm755X0lgsjS3Gui6ipguc6Q-s3x4yGZwl_kjNx3YuarMY-_RBcKTdKp9g_6AbUWNjbzDpXzOTq786jcHMkfDFgNaU4hOE0LXSRInqnWQSA_09Tk4wPgLH0vYM28X-Mg0eeBe-KeGGIIGW113G9AfeXHB41w4rvyPvaW6zqHehHMzs7sjzO8LSpqcjkkrU_qjJ4VrpglL_AZw

Last edited:

train

Seaman Apprentice

Looks good! I just used marinetex for the first time to fill some pretty serious pitting. I am impressed with it. seems like good stuff.