LOWRANCE HDS-5 Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Do anybody have any experience with this equipment the model I looking to buy is the 140-21, thanks.

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: LOWRANCE HDS-5 Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter

Just picked one up on monday. Haven't had a chance to put it through the paces yet cause the water is still a bit hard in Wisconsin. I did a LOT of shopping around and this looks to me to be just what I wanted. They say "you get what you pay for" and at $650.00, it better perform as advertised or I may have to donate it to Davey Jones. LOL It has a lot of features and is very easy to operate. Don't know if this helps but good luck with whatever you decide on.

bruce40

Seaman Apprentice

Hangeye,
Did you get the base model, or the one with lake insight? I was looking at the
one with lake insight but im not sure its worth the extra 100 bucks. Whats the diff if im gonna use the lakemaster card in it anyway??

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine says "Enhanced U.S. Basemap". It has some of my area waters maps in it already (Winnebago, Buttes Des Morts) and some in other states that I fish like Minnesota. I just figured that with the price of some of the cards needed to get this info, this was the way to go for me. Like I said in my previous post, I haven't had a chance to take it out for a REAL test run yet, so I may have gone in the wrong direction. Only time will tell. Wish I could give you more input to help in your decision but I'm just getting started with this piece of equipment myself. Be patient, there are a lot of folks in this forum with a lot of knowledge about pretty much any subject. Someone will read your post and give you some good sound advice and it will help us both.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Do anybody have any experience with this equipment the model I looking to buy is the 140-21, thanks.
I don't think you'll be vey happy with the 83kHz transducer if your running off the beach down there. I would opt for the 50kHz