1977 Starcraft Restoration project

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Watermann I will definitely be paying special attention to the edges and also planned on painting the finished product. Since you mentioned paint, what kind of paint should I be looking for? I have a little ways to go obviously but I've never painted a boat so havent even looked into that yet. And btw your chieftain is amazing! Very nice job!

I use pretty much the same type paint as WOG has detailed in his paint your boat post. with the only difference being brand as the local farm store here carries VanSickle industrial enamel, SE primer, regular primer and catalyst hardener. I really like being able to use the same brand coatings from bare AL to top coat.

Thanks for looking at my Chief build, I love that boat like a brother.

Tnstratofam

Commander
tnstratofam just started reading on your transom repair you did. Yours looks very nice and very well documented. Im very jealous of your garage though.. Im working in a one stall :blue:. But its easy to heat up with the temps down in the 20s or lower every day with my space heater. I live in Michigan now but I grew up close to Memphis, TN. Wishing I had the warmer temps up here now it sure would make things a lot easier!

Thanks for checking out our transom rebuild. Our SS is the only boat in our small fleet sea worthy at the moment, and has to pull triple duty in fishing, cruising, and water sports. Being a 16 footer it limits us to 4 people on most outings where the 20 foot Stratos allows for 7. The SS is a great do all boat. Oh and having the hanger we do certainly makes working on our projects year round much nicer. It is heated and air conditioned as well ( Perks of owning my own HVAC company ).

Your progressing well. Keep up the good work.

Memphis by the way is on the opposite side of the State from me. 8 hours away to be exact. We live in the very North East corner. Up in the mountains.

pntbtrjllytme

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the transom cut and its all together now waiting for all the glue to dry up. Just in time before the freezing rain came down.. I think I spent more time driving all over getting supplies and getting a belt sander. While the transom is drying up for the next couple of days Ill be working on the floor layout. After the transom is in Ill flip her over and get some fresh paint on =) The blocks on top may be a little overkill..

IMAG0315_zpsy5nht59v.jpg IMAG0316_zpsex1lh2xf.jpg IMAG0317_zpsvb4wyro4.jpg IMAG0318_zpsy5jt2qva.jpg IMAG0319_zpsmw8mcwyj.jpg IMAG0320_zpsem3rc5jk.jpg

pntbtrjllytme

Petty Officer 1st Class
So the transom came out great. Got it all sanded down and it fits nicely. Just waiting on my epoxy to arrive in the mail before I can finish that off. I can post some pictures later. But, I would like to replace my splashwell. It cracked before I purchased it and it was welded.. but it cracked again. I found out the transom brace?? not sure what you call it.. but it was cracked so that was fixed a while back. Anywho, any tips on how to replace the splashwell? And also, I would like to have it not so big if possible. Would I have to make my own or what would you guys suggest? Thanks ahead of time for any help!

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Nice work so far. I'm following along. I'm on my second SS going to do my full restore next fall.

Watermann

The reason the old SW sress cracked was the boat being used with rotten transom, decking and side panels. A new SW would take some special tools to form the AL and it would need to be attached everywhere the old one was to maintain integrity. Easy way is to repair the old SW and with everything wood new it shouldn't fail.

pntbtrjllytme

Petty Officer 1st Class
Watermann how would you go about fixing the current SW? Now that I have the transom replaced (or will very shortly) I should be good to go. As I mentioned, it was rewelded but you can see the weld =( If thats the only way to fix it then Ill have to live with that. I would just prefer to have her nice and pretty if I can help it =) Trying to find a boat yard or parts on craigslist, ebay, wherever I can to see if I can find a replacement. Really, at this point anyways, the SW is the only part that Im struggling with to figure out how to fix without it being obvious that it was repaired

Watermann

The bead can be ground down and sanded smooth on the inside and leave a bead on the inside out of sight.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks nrf414 do you have a post with your first SS? Would like to see your project if you have a post =)

I have pics of the first one finished but no thread. It is the same exact color as MRbroughtons and is in my avatar. I didn't have to do much to it. That's why I'm really looking forward to this build and all the experience and info here in iboats. The Starmada is very welcoming. Just don't forget the pics. We love our pics.

pntbtrjllytme

Petty Officer 1st Class
Finally getting the epoxy in the mail tomorrow. Been waiting on that and my livewell and gauges. Everything has kind of been on hold til I get all of that. Should have a bit of progress on the boat this weekend though =) All this waiting for my orders has been killing me!

pntbtrjllytme

Petty Officer 1st Class
I forgot to ask... but is there any way to hook up a speedometer up to my motor? It currently does not have one.. Not sure if I really want to add one but it would be kind of cool if it was something somewhat easy to do. I cant find any info online on how to do it if its even possible

Watermann

To add a speedo to your boat of course you need the speedo and a pitot kit. The pitot is added to the transom of the boat and a 1/4" line is ran from the pitot to the speedo in the dash. Then all you have to do is wire in power for the light and a ground.

Here is a pic of my pitot set up.

IMAG2679.jpg

pntbtrjllytme

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey thanks Watermann ! Ill def have to check that out. Not sure why Id really need a speedo.. but for some reason Id like to see that on my dash =D Im having someone weld my splashwell up nice this weekend for me. I can weld but never done aluminum and would rather pay someone 30$ than to mess it up.. Ive heard if you dont do it right then it can warp. Once I get that done and my epoxy Ill really be able to get going on her.

Alumarine

Captain
If you're planning on installing a Fish Finder / GPS it will have a speedo function as a rule.

pntbtrjllytme

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you're planning on installing a Fish Finder / GPS it will have a speedo function as a rule.

Yes I will have one but I dunno what it is but i just feel pretty much anything with a motor and moves should have a speedometer lol. I know my fish finder has one but its just not the same. Maybe Im crazy I dunno..

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

for what its worth , on my project plan is tach / volts / fuel gauges and a switch board for other things. I got an ss and dash space is pretty limited so going with gps on depth sounder as speedo. if you want one in dash waterman is spot on, nothing to hook to motor for speedo I believe

Attachments

• photo216333.JPG
    photo216333.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 1

pntbtrjllytme

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wont be getting a tach. The speedo Im looking at has fuel and voltage on it already, and the only other one id like is a tilt gauge. All the other space will be filled with switches