1977 Starcraft Restoration project

pntbtrjllytme

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey thanks WM! I did call a marine parts store today. They didnt have it but found someone who did. Still 70$ for a sensor seems a little steep. Have found them on ebay for 40$ but stil something seems a little off about this part. Online it says they dont make these anymore.. Almost everything Ive ordered has a new part number compared to my 1977 parts list book.. This part does not. Either way, could you tell me where I look for the SN? Id be happy to get that for you :) Again, thanks for the help! I almost wonder if theres some aftermarket park that would allow me to wire up a temp gauge to it. Would like to do that if I could. Have found the stock part you can not do that.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I doubt that the over heat sensor will give a temp reading and the new parts are aftermarket since they are NLA by the manufacturer. Does your motor have a tell tale? My Merc 140 doesn't have a temp sensor or T stat and it's been running since 1979. As long as you have a steady stream from the tell tale then your golden.

pntbtrjllytme

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok well maybe I dont need it then =) By the looks of the thing it hasnt worked in QUITE some time. It was completely rusted and I had to bang it out with a punch to get it out. Would save me 70$ as thats the only one I could find new. The tell tale is actually not even visible when its lowered into the water so theres no way for me to see it unless I put muffs on.

You mentioned you dont have a T stat.. I just ordered one. Should I even put that in there or just leave it out? Not sure if it would even have any benefit but Im not a marine mechanic =) Thanks again WM really appreciate the help! I also just looked and Ill have my parts (at least some of them) as soon as tomorrow! Cant wait to get back out on the water!

Edit: Actually just watched a couple of vids online on how to move the tell tale up higher on these motors. That would make me feel a lot better about not having the temp sensor. So.. Ill just do that!

Edit..again: I actually found a link in these forums with a step by step guide on how to do it in case anyone else would like to check it out. https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...aq/228380-johnson-evinrude-adding-a-tell-tale

Last edited:

Watermann

I would keep the t stat if it was equipped with one, my Merc is not. I've not seen a tell tale anywhere except on the lower cowling. I used that how to for my 55 Johnny, it didn't have a tell tale so that was a nice addition.

pntbtrjllytme

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok thanks for that WM. Ill be sure to install mine then. I havent had a chance to put the motor back together yet but hoping to get to that today. Planning on bringing her out for a test run this weekend. I ordered all the parts to install the tell tale but the elbow was plastic and the hose I ordered was only about 4 inches long for 16$... so ended up just buying my own parts at the hardware store.

Next question though.. theres a sale on bimini tops for July 4. I have 0 knowledge on how to install one. As far as I can tell there is no hardware on my boat for one either.. Could anyone help me out with ordering one on what to look for? Thank you!

And Ill post some before and after pics of the motor when Im done. Dieing to get back out on the water. Probably just run out to a local lake for some bass/pike with my boy and see how she runs.

Watermann

The bimini is just by measurements, width of the boat and height that you'll need/want and then it's just to choose the length. Choices are straps for the back or pole supports, nylon or SS hardware and of course color.