1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Ok, I remember but only saw about half the transom wood routed out, so my mind didn't make the connection there.

Decker83

Commander
Yeah, I don't get home until 6:00 pm and only have about 2 hours of daylight to work. That was all I did last night. I have all the routing done tonight..
Will sand it down and start filling in any low spots and then the glue up..
Need to make a trip to the big box store and get the glue and filler..

Decker83

Commander
Finished cutting and gluing the transom together today.. Used the TiteBond III glue. Had a good amount of squeeze out all the way around.. Used a chisel to cut the
dried glue off..
Screwed the transom down to 4 2x4x8' that I planed down on the 2" edge to hold the transom flat..
Have a few low spots that the router cut to much out that I need to fill in.
Still need to cut the last ring board to get the 2" thickness and glue that on.
Should be able to use the old timer recipe some time this week.. Then seal with spar..
Hope everyone had a great weekend..
100_3871 (Large).JPG

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just dropping in to see whats up with the SC Decker ! Wow what a deal on the plywood ! The transom looks like it will be good and strong with that extra plate added ..

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's a heavy chunk of wood right there, you're gonna need some help putting that bad boy in and out.

Decker83

Commander
Just dropping in to see whats up with the SC Decker ! Wow what a deal on the plywood ! The transom looks like it will be good and strong with that extra plate added ..

Sam. Good to hear from you! I hope all is well with you and the family after the hurricane.
I kinda fell into the plywood.
Slowed way down on the SC for the last 2 summers.. Life just keeps me busy. Worked on a old 69 Skeeter Hawk and the 70hp Evinrude for my youngest daughter this summer.
Back at the SC now.
Have a great week..

Decker83

Commander
That's a heavy chunk of wood right there, you're gonna need some help putting that bad boy in and out.

Yeah it is.. Had my son in law over today for his daughters Bday. He helped me flip the layers together.. Not sure how I will fit it without help.
If your not to busy you might drop by and help.. lol :pound:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
All in all we fared ok with the storm . 2 downed oaks and no power for 6 days ... Further south got hit the worst ...

Decker83

Commander
All in all we fared ok with the storm . 2 downed oaks and no power for 6 days ... Further south got hit the worst ...

Glad to hear that. A lot of people were not so lucky.. 6 days is a long time without power. Hope you had a generator..

Decker83

Commander
I have been making some progress on the transom.. I have all the holes drilled and the keyway cut. I used 2 coats of the WOG old timers sealer on each side and 4 on the edges. Then 2 more coats of the Helmsman spar urethane each side and 4 on the edges.. Just put a coat of Rustoleum gloss white tonight. Trying to get it put in the boat this weekend..
Here is a couple of pix's..
100_3872 (Large).JPG

100_3875 (Large).JPG

Decker83

Commander
Thanks Watermann.

Put the transom in today. Used my chain fall to lift it and lower it into place. Have all but 3 bolts put in. I will need the Admirals help on the last 3..
Here is a couple of pics.

100_3876 (Large).JPG

100_3879 (Large).JPG

Decker83

Commander
Does anyone have the measurements from the transom to the front motor mount for the merc 140 hp 4 cylinder engine? Also the measurement from the hull to the top of the motor mount?

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
That rebuild is coming along real well. I can't wait to see it come together with the engine and outdrive in it.

Decker83

Commander
That rebuild is coming along real well. I can't wait to see it come together with the engine and outdrive in it.

Thanks M2HB and welcome aboard.. It is taken me some time but I am trying to get her done..:D

Decker83

Commander
Looking really good Decker! :eagerness:

Thanks BWR.. Its been awhile for me to get back at it on this one..

Did some measurements for the front motor mount wood.. I figured from the transom to the front mount is 34". If I remember right I read the height is 5 1/4" from the bottom of the hull to the top of the wood mount.. I hope I am close enough on this..

Put in the gas tank I got out of the donor boat and it fits like it was made for the SS..
Will try and put up some more pics..
Hope everyone has a great Halloween..:scared:

Decker83

Commander
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day..
Been doing some figuring making some marks and that kind of stuff..
Cut out some of the original motor mount to make room for the new mount. Made some angles out of some spare aluminum I had laying around to support the gas tank. Glued on some 1/4" neoprene rubber to the tank in line with the supports..

100_3882 (Large).JPG

100_3884 (Large).JPG

100_3881 (Large).JPG