1977 searay sedancrusier

mattsmall1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 searay sedancrusier

I'm completely impressed and jealous that you didn't have to remove the outdrive before lifting the engine. That engine looks as rusty as mine were.

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't let looks fool ya. It was/is solid as a rock. Sorry to here about the hole. Make sure you install a really good bilge pump.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

CLAYAROBINSON,
I must say that was is a interesting set up you have for pulling the engine.
You say your in Cali, but I see the south written all over that thing. :p
glad you got the engine out without any issues. :D:cool:
Glad no one got injured in the car crash either.
mattsmall1972,
You didn't notice that skag missing on your outdrive when you pulled it?
Glad you survived too.
Take care all
Bob

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Clay, are you going to pull the cap?

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Should have access to everything I need with-out removing top. If anyone knows why I should or should not remove top please let me know.

Thank you,

Clay

mattsmall1972

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't think of any reasoln you would want to pull the cap unless you wanted to pour seacast into the transom. Otherwise it's all accessible.

Bob - I did notice the broken skeg but didn't realize it was stuck in the hull. I just thought it broke off during the fall.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

CLAYAROBINSON,
If you can get to everything, then I wouldn't pull the cap. We all have a lot of work to do without causing extra work.
Take care
Bob

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

More oil in bilge under engine then under Texas. 30 year old boat. If I degreese, how do I now if its clean enough for fiberglassing. Can the oil saturate polyresin?

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will be pulling outdrive this weekend. That is all I will have time for this weekend. Freind needs help with building a wall in his house. Wife states if I can help a friend and work on the boat, I can do something for her. Can't wait for the Huney Do List, NOT. Anyway, does anyone know how much a Volvo Penta 280 wieghs? Can I do it by hand alone are with one other person. How easy is it to break the fin on the bottum facing down? Help with these questions before I start would be great.

Thank you,

Clay

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After removing engine and flywheel housing. What do I have to do to remove outdrive?:confused:. Have removed the six nuts from transum.

I thought every thing would pull straight out from the outside, but it appears the exhaust pipes (if that's what you call them) seam to be non-removable. Does it all get pulled from one side or does part get removed from the inside and part from the outside? What steps do I take to remove this whole assy?

Have a nice day:):):)

Clay

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Clay I like your inthusiasim thats why I follwing this thread but if you wnat my advise for the magnitude of this project I would highly sugest you invest in the service manuals for your engine and outdrive (thier priceless) and wort every dime you pay for them unless someone here can sent you copies of there downloads. I believe in the near future your gonna need them instead of waiting on answers from here which you will get but it's always nice to have your own reference material @ your disposal. Good luck nd keep on keepin on andby the way the honey do stuff will let you keep working on that rig so suck it up like I do it's worth it

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hello Clay,
Sounds like you are really moving along.
If you have the 6 nuts off and the trim cylinders off the leg, then it should come off. You may have to pic it up and drop it a couple time to break it loose.
As for the exhaust, you will need 12 point sockets to remove the bolts and they are all on the inside of the boat.
Manuals would be a god investment.:p
Take care.
Bob

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good to here from you Bob. Thanks for the advice on the manuels Fat Fanny. Had been thinking that I really need to get around to that. It's that time, I removed a plate off the top of outdrive and bend a rod. It looked like an adjustment rod of some kind. Don't need to be %&^$ing something up do to egnrance. Hope I already have not done that.

Thanks again for the input

No progresse this week. Only found out how much I don't know. Like I didn't already know I don't know.

Clay

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not working on boat untill this weekend. 105 deg yesterday, 107 deg today. Call me not a true iboater if you like, but it's still not happening untill it dips below 100 deg. I'm not 20 any more and it shows in the heat.

Enjoy and see ya this weekend,

Clay

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yahoo,cooled down 30 deg to around mid 70's in one day!
Still trying to get outdrive out so I can start grinding on fiberglass.

Have removed upper gearbox and hemit. Had to cut fork holding hemit. Easyer then removing bolts, it was cracked anyway. Now can get to pivet pins holding outdrive on. Outdrive tilts outdrive out of way with upper gear box removed to get at exhaust pipe bolts. They were on the outside hidden by outdrive. Stupid place for them, should have been on inside of boat.

Have a few things left I'm still stuck on to get outdrive out
1) exhaust pipes stuck (glued in with corrosion)
2) tilt unit stuck (don't know why)
3) streering arm retaining bolt corroted (No wrench known to man will fit it)
4) pivet pin retaining bolt stuck on outdrive

Will try to easy-out pivet pin retaining bolt today. Looking at having to chisel out exhaust pipes, cut off tilt, and grind down streering arm bolt. Don't like the idea

If anyone has any thoughts on what to do or not to do. Please let me know

Thanks,

Clay

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 0
  • bolt2.jpg
    bolt2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 0
  • exhuast.jpg
    exhuast.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
  • cut.jpg
    cut.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 0
  • stuck.jpg
    stuck.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Outdrive out. :)

Thank god for grinders, chisels, prybars, and realy big hammers. :D

Next step
Build temp minished to store engine, outdrive and all the pcs I shoved into the bow (from gutting the cabin). then next week I can start on replacing stingers, bulkhead, deck, etc...

Wow, that much work and effort in two short sentances.
Couldn't take that long, could it.;)

Clay

Attachments

• chiseled.jpg
    chiseled.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
  • cut up.jpg
    cut up.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 0
  • outdrive.jpg
    outdrive.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 0
  • out.jpg
    out.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0

mattsmall1972

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad to see you got it out. I just got off a really big boat today - the Royal Carribean Grandeur of the Seas. In some ways I am glad I just cut the whole outdrive off...

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Someone told me that on wooden boats that instead of replacing a stringer they would just add one next to it. This made me think that one option that might be worth looking into for me is making a wooden channel and bonding it to old stringer and haul. Then incapsolating it with fiberglass and epoxy. I have enough room to raise the deck to do this.

Doing this would save me a lot of fiberglass cutting/grinding and I would not have to brace the haul on the outside to maintane its shape. Do to the size of the boat I don't think the additional weight would be an issue, but would have to look at it closely.

Has anyone ever heard of this, anything like this, or have any comments about this? Good idea or bad? Don't want to do anything that would compremise that structual integrity of the boat.

I'm not at this point yet, but thought I would put it out there for comments.

Attachments

• stringer.jpg
    stringer.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

As much effort as you are putting into this project, there is no way I would leave rotten wood in it. If you are going to take short cuts take them on non structural trim that is easily replaced not in the structural core of the boat. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in as well.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

You won't find a thread here where someone has done that and if they did you will not find a pic of it (well you might, but I don't think many would approve). Nobody who takes the time and effort to bring an old hull back to life is going to risk a half-day job of removing existing rotten wood. Well at least any one with pride in their work. You have taken to many steps in your restoration already to take a shortcut. You have a good restoration thread going where people new to boats can learn a lot, especially from the magnitude of this project. I know how bad you want to take this restoration in the other direction, such as putting it back together; but the more prep you do know the easier assembly will be.