1977 Lund S-18 Big Resorter Project boat

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Got my first project boat. looking for ideas and recommendations.

+1. I've also read several posts/threads from members who have had good success using Gluvit to seal his wooden components recently. It's also and epoxy product that you can/should apply to the interior, riveted seams of the boat to prevent any possible leaks. It should also be a bit more readily available at places like Lowes/HD, than other 2-part epoxies like West System. In fact, you can virtually everything to do your whole project at any Lowes/HD except the f'glass and/or epoxy supplies, unless of course you can get Gluvit there.
+1 on the NON-Pressure Treated lumber too. The preservatives will have an electrolytic reaction with your aluminum hull which will lead to pitting. Be sure you use aluminum replacement rivets and/or stainless steel hardware (preferably dipped in 3M 5200 marine sealant) throughout too.
As far as lay out goes, that boat is screaming center console, flats boat to me, but I'm down in FL where we have lots of ankle deep water, and I'm not sure if that's what would work best for MN. Either way, be sure you also add floatation below decks for increased buoyancy as well. Pool noodles and/or pink(or blue) closed-cell, insulation foam boards sold at Lowes/HD work great and will never get waterlogged.
That's really about it; Non-PT wood sealed in any of the methods mentioned, aluminum rivets and Stainless Steel hardware, the rest is only limited by time, money and imagination. Per the previous post, Tinboats.net is also a great site to see other aluminum boat projects. Good luck. Keep us posted. We love pics ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

+1. I've also read several posts/threads from members who have had good success using Gluvit to seal his wooden components recently. It's also and epoxy product that you can/should apply to the interior, riveted seams of the boat to prevent any possible leaks. It should also be a bit more readily available at places like Lowes/HD, than other 2-part epoxies like West System. In fact, you can virtually everything to do your whole project at any Lowes/HD except the f'glass and/or epoxy supplies, unless of course you can get Gluvit there.

That would not even SORTA be cost effective. It would probably work fine but it's very expensive and made with special etching specifically for metal.

lfreng

Seaman

Here is a pic of the installed gunwhale braces and the front decking and battery/charger rack. Foam is in as well...
IMG_20120310_161617.jpgIMG_20120324_135232 - Copy.jpgIMG_20120319_222627 - Copy.jpgIMG_20120324_001306 - Copy.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

That would not even SORTA be cost effective. It would probably work fine but it's very expensive and made with special etching specifically for metal.

Well, it's probably sorta cost effective when you factor in the time, expense and effort of tracking down and trying to learn to use f'glass for the first time. It looks like a gal of Gluvit is about $130 a gal at Boaters world w/ free shipping and no tax [ http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP80820295.htm?utm_medium=cpa&utm_source=Shopping ] vs. a gal of 105 resin ($99) alone [with a 1/3 gal. of 207 hardener ($80) or ($45) per qt. of 205 B hardener], not that much difference really especially when you add pumps and possible shipping, etc... The Gluvit should be easier to get a hold of than the various other epoxy/f'glass supplies. I believe several different hardware/autoparts/online stores, large and small, carry it. The OP also said budget wasn't a major issue either, and it would seem that the Gluvit would have more varied uses in an aluminum boat than other epoxies, perhaps not so if it were a glasser. If you're going to seal the seams with Gluvit, or another product, now is the time. You'd hate to realize you had a leak after you got the floor installed and buttoned down.
Either way, as long as the wood is well sealed, you'll be fine. The rest is really just a matter of convenience. The less expensive sealing methods generally require more time/elbow grease, whereas the mores expensive alternatives are generally quicker and easier to learn to do for yourself. Of course you could go to the total other end of the spectrum, and forget all the high tech epoxy stuff and go old school and use several (3-4) coats of good 'ol Spar Urethane on all of your wooden surfaces. It's dead cheap, very readily available, and doesn't require any special tools or training. Granted, it won't make it perfectly waterproof for all eternity per se, but it will seal the wood surprisingly well for years and years to come, if done correctly.
The bracing looks great so far. Keep us posted.

lfreng

Seaman

I already got the gluvit and will be applying prior to putting floor framing back in. More pics will follow as steps get completed.

kfa4303

Banned

Dang, that is a sweet deal for 2 gal. How much is shipping, or is that included in the list price also?

TyeeMcGee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's a pretty sweet hull. All the hard work was already done for you! I have a Lund Tyee project boat that I've been demo-ing for 2 weeks and still not done yet.

One big thing that has always sucked on any production boat is rod and tackle storage. So plan to customize it based on your needs.

Also think about writing down everything you need in a boat, and design a place for everything. That will make it a total fishing machine.

Here's a boat rebuild that is a lot like your hull that the guy did an awesome job of designing.
http://www.correllconcepts.com/boat_conversion.htm

Are you going to make it a tiller or side console? If I had my choice it would be a tiller because of all the room you get and boat control.

lfreng

Seaman

That's a pretty sweet hull. All the hard work was already done for you! I have a Lund Tyee project boat that I've been demo-ing for 2 weeks and still not done yet.

One big thing that has always sucked on any production boat is rod and tackle storage. So plan to customize it based on your needs.

Also think about writing down everything you need in a boat, and design a place for everything. That will make it a total fishing machine.

Here's a boat rebuild that is a lot like your hull that the guy did an awesome job of designing.
http://www.correllconcepts.com/boat_conversion.htm

Are you going to make it a tiller or side console? If I had my choice it would be a tiller because of all the room you get and boat control.

It will be a side console. I got a 91 Evinrude/controls with a trailer for $400 bucks from a cousin so couldnt pass up that deal. I had a thought about fishing pole storage. I think i am going to try industrial strength velcro. I will mount two brackets on the passenger side gunwhale toward the rear. Basically have a 1x1" spacer to have the bracket stand out a bit from the side (to accomodate the reel) with the hook side of the velcro on the bracket maybe 10" long for multiple rods. Then I will afix a 1" wide strip of the loop side at the base of my cork grip that I can slap against the bracket. For the front part of the rods I will lay in the bracket for support. This is completey theoretical in design but having a rod holder that doesnt have straps/foam grips/etc to use would be great. just set your front in and push it against the extended velcro rail. The soft side of the velcro wouldnt bother you at all on the bottom of the rod. I'll report how it works when i get that far...

TyeeMcGee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lfreng,
We're right by each other! I'm in Le Sueur. If you get done with your boat first, come over and help me out :)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I knew I heard someone say tiller!!!!!

lfreng

Seaman

Lfreng,
We're right by each other! I'm in Le Sueur. If you get done with your boat first, come over and help me out :)

Yep, probably not more than a half hour away... Trying to get it done by the week after opener to head to Lake Vermillion.

TyeeMcGee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

BTW, I bet you could pick up a tiller conversion kit for that Evinrude. Just looks like an awesome tiller boat...something to ponder.
Vermillion....beautiful lake. Did better on smallies than walleyes when I went there. But you can't beat the structure. Best of luck to you!

lfreng

Seaman

I got to work on the steering console. Found it on craigslist I guess it came of a Lund "Guide". I googled that but didnt come up with that model but maybe it is out there somewhere. I went to a boat salvage yard and picked up all my instruments and busted out the plasma cutter to get the holes cut. Its a little tight on the dash but doable. I will have RPM, speedo, gas gauge, trim, voltage and temp + misc. switches. I found a full panel off some boat for $100. Square bezels and in good condition. I probably could of hunted around the internet for a better deal but after shipping and my time this seemed like the way to go. Here is a pic of the cutouts.
P3270752.JPG

I am off to Lowes tomorrow to get some decking, I am going to try and get the Arauco Ply and encapsulate it in Epoxy. Until I get the upper half of the interior painted I am kind of dead in the water. I cant build the rear deck until the floor is in so I am going to paint the interior, fit the deck. After that I will pull the decking back out and flip it over for exterior paint. Cant wait to get that done so I can get rolling on outfitting the interior.

lfreng

Seaman

Got the painting started. Using Pettit products. Here is a pick of the interior underway. IMG_20120408_190330.jpgIMG_20120410_211610.jpg

Bottom of the boat and motor taped off and ready for paint. IMG_20120416_232657.jpgIMG_20120416_232733.jpg

lfreng

Seaman

I have to sand some of the wire brush marks on the bottom to make them consistant with the orbital sander still, not sure if they would show or not but kind of hard to go back after to correct it if they show. Decided to leave the runners (or what ever you call them on the bottom) aluminum as they would probably just get scratched up and it should break up the black hull nicely.

lfreng

Seaman

Got the etch coat on and followed that up with the tie coat primer. Paint just arrived today. Went with the Vivid Black Anti-fouling. Should look sharp once I get that on.

IMG_20120418_101736.jpgIMG_20120418_101812.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

why anti fouling?

lfreng

Seaman

apparently a more durable paint and better paint if boat sits in water for extended periods of time.

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat, looks like a great project and great progress already.