1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
ahh its good to have the honey do's done it shows her ya still have your priority's strait ... even when ya don't :0

Problem is, I never seem to get all the to do list ever caught up. I actually have tons of yard and house work to do. And I try to work in the boat when I can.

Today I have a more important issue to be concerned with. My younger brother is presently undergoing heart bypass and I will be there at the hospital for most of the day. So boat is on hold again.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well the good news is my brother came through the surgery well and is now in CVICU unit for the night. He wasn't awake when we were there and he probably won't be for a while more. The CVICU nurse there watching 24/7 stated that he woke up for a little and she asked him if he was in pain, his responce was yes. So they gave him some morphine (the nurse's words), and off to sleep he went again. And that is a good thing. But all his vital signs were very good and they said he seems to be doing very well. So tomorrow is another day. Thanks for the concerns and prayers. I appreciate it more then you know.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Happy to hear all went well. thoughts and prayers from my little corner of the world. wish him well from the iboats bunch when he is up to taking visitors.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys. I think he will be awake today to see family visitors. He is a couple years younger then I, but close to twice my weight. I hope this is a wakening for him to cut back now. We will see.

So obviously absolutely nothing was done on my boat. Maybe later today or tomorrow I can do some more sanding. IDK.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I just got home from visiting my brother. He is of course still in CVICU and probably will be there for a few more days. But he was awake and complaining about the PAIN. I told him that pain lets you know you're alive. He said he didn't need to know that he was alive that bad. So he is comings along as can be expected.

Obviously no sanding on the boat. But I may get some sanding in tomorrow.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good to hear he is on the mend. wish him well, thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. the boat will wait.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys. He will have to endure some pain for a while as his chest heals. But the long outlook seems way better now. Arch, as far as "normal" goes, that is hard to tell with our family. :happy: Not really sure any of us has ever been called normal. Maybe Abby Normal is more like it. I'll pass on the well wishes to him.

I have been doing some yard work the last couple days as well as visting. And boy are my arms and leg and back talking to me now. Pruning shrubbery is very demanding when you have so many and using an Echo gas-powered long bladed double-sided trimmer. I guess it is the constant leaning over with the trimmer weight that gets the muscles talking. And there certainly are today.

Maybe if things goes good, I can sand out that last layer of poly mix putty. Who knows presently with so many things going on? Still pretty warm today yet, but they are talking about low 70's for the next few days after this new cold front comes in. YEAH! :noidea:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
tewll em get used to it ! pain is waking up and limpin to bathroom every morning like the rest of us old timers hahaha if something aint achin it wouldn't seem right :0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
mickyryan, I honestly thought everybody has some sort of pain. So I just accept it and carry on. :eek:

Yesterday I did get some more sanding done on the hull. And I have to say, that polyester mixture "magic formula" really does a great job. I have a little more to finish sanding and then a few smaller spot fills and I think I can shoot another coat of 2K high build primer and see how that works out. I'l try to post some pictures today as well.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A little update. I did get all the last "magic putty" sanded now and I like what I am seeing. No, all the pin holes are not filled, but most of them are and so I think I will go over the entire hull with some 220 grit and then clean off all the dust, wipe it down and shoot another 2K high build primer and see how that looks. I am sure there will be some more spot filling, but not a lot. We will see and I will post some pictures as well.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I got some pictures but they are not much to see. Once you seen a hull sanded, it looks basically the same until something visually changes. I didn't shoot the primer coat today because as I was sanding with some 220 grit, I found a little void in the fiberglass and as I opened it up, it turn into a large pocket. So out came the air grinder file and I ground that pocket open until I got to some solid fiberglass material. Then I mixed up some poly and Cabosil and filled it in. So now I have to let that cure and sand it out. Here are a few shots of that.
001.JPG
A shot from the front. That isn't the pocket area I filled, but you can see the sanded hull ready for another coat of primer.
002.JPG
Here is that pocket I opened up. Yes it is in the same area as another one I had to fill previously. It won't take long to feather that in once cured. I did forget to use some Surfacing Wax in the poly putty mix, so it is going to be sticky at first.
003.JPG
That pocket is on the very right hand side in this transom shot. Can't really see it too good. he transom is now sanded as wel and ready for the second primer coat.
005.JPG
I know it looks rough. But believe me, it is silky smooth now. Of course the darker areas were the highs and the gray areas were the low areas. But since all of them have been sanded, they all are basically the same level now...I hope. :facepalm:

And you can see how bad this hull was with so many different shades of colors. Trying to make it level and smooth is a daunting task. I know it is better then original. but not really a showboat by any stretch.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't look rough...Looks Great GM! You go boy!

Thanks kcassells, I know it looks pretty strange seeing so many different colors. But that is how body work is done. The next coat of primer hopefully will make things look at ton better. Of course I still have to sand that coat as well, but there shouldn't be such differences with high and low areas as there was. I do expect some, but not as many.

I have done auto type body work on cars before, but when you have such highs and lows on vehicles, you can work those areas with a dolly and subtle flat tapping via body hammers. You can't do that with fiberglass. Well I guess you literally can, but then you have real problems to repair. So you have to fill in the lows and sand down the highs. But you can't sand the high too much or you go through and then have a real mess on your hands. JMHO