1976 Johnson 35HP installing tell tale

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Johnson 35HP installing tell tale

For one thing they say that an outboard at full throttle will suffer damage in about 10 seconds if there is a sudden loss of cooling water.-That could be from say a plastic bag wrapped around the water intake.----So perhaps an audible warning buzzer might be a better idea than a telltale.----------I have worked on motors for many years. Observed owners for many years too.--------The advice I give folks is " replace the impeller every 3 years " and enjoy your boat.

dtrojcak

Cadet

I also used clear tubing from the brass fitting to the outlet on the lower cowling case. That way if the pee tube isn't peeing, I can quickly see if that tube is plugged. Dirt Dodders love little opening like that... Hope this helps you some.

:D
Good advice on the clear tubing.

For one thing they say that an outboard at full throttle will suffer damage in about 10 seconds if there is a sudden loss of cooling water.-That could be from say a plastic bag wrapped around the water intake.----So perhaps an audible warning buzzer might be a better idea than a telltale.----------I have worked on motors for many years. Observed owners for many years too.--------The advice I give folks is " replace the impeller every 3 years " and enjoy your boat.
I never thought about a buzzer.
That will probably be another future upgrade.

dtrojcak

Cadet

What would be the best option for installing a warning buzzer on a pull-start engine?

iwombat

Captain

Sorry about the late reply. Been off the board for awhile. My pref would be to go into the block where you indicated at the top of cyl #1. Second preference would be high up on the exhaust cover. Stay away from the brass/bronze fittings, especially if you intend salt-water use. You'll get electrolysis around the fitting. That's why the factory used the plastic ones.

dtrojcak

Cadet

Sorry about the late reply. Been off the board for awhile. My pref would be to go into the block where you indicated at the top of cyl #1. Second preference would be high up on the exhaust cover. Stay away from the brass/bronze fittings, especially if you intend salt-water use. You'll get electrolysis around the fitting. That's why the factory used the plastic ones.

No worries, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm a little hesitant about drilling into the block. I think I'm going to install it high on the exhaust cover. My thinking is if I screw up or it causes problems, I can replace the cover easier than repairing/replacing the block.
I ordered a plastic factory fitting. I just need to take the time to install it.
I've replaced the water pump impeller a few days ago. It finally warmed up above 50F here yesterday, so I was able to start the motor last night. All appears to be working correctly. I get a very small spray of water out the exhaust relief holes when the thermostat is closed and a very large spray when it is open. I'm able to hold my hand on the block for a good 5-7 count, which is expected since the water in the barrel is probably about 40-50F.

Now I just need to purchase the correct size tap for the elbow.
The instructions I've found on this site say to use a 1/8" tap, but there's no way that's big enough.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

What you would have to do is go to your local hardware store and ask to see a 1/8 threaded pipe fitting .-Then you will be able to decide on this.

dtrojcak

Cadet

I haven't measured it yet, but the fitting is way bigger than 1/8.
It's probably 3/8 or maybe even 1/2.
Tractor Supply was out of 1/8 taps last week. I'm glad because I would've bought it got nothing.
I want to "test out" the boat/motor next week during spring break with the boy to make sure everything works properly before I start adding stuff to the motor.
If everything checks out, I plan to install the tell tale after that.
Thanks again for all the advice.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps you are not aware of how pipe threads are labelled / sized.

dtrojcak

Cadet

That's a possibility.
I'm thinking that if I have a 1/4" bolt then I would need to tap a hole with a 1/4" tap. The hole would probably need to be drilled with a 3/16" bit.
Is that not correct?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

That's a possibility.
I'm thinking that if I have a 1/4" bolt then I would need to tap a hole with a 1/4" tap. The hole would probably need to be drilled with a 3/16" bit.
Is that not correct?

STOP! :attention:

Before you buy or drill any holes, go to Lowes or HD or most any quality hardware store and ask to see both a 1/8" NPT threaded part and a 1/4" NPT threaded part. Look at those threaded parts. NPT stands for National Pipe Thread and not to be confused with normal taps and die threads. After you see how big those two sizes are, choice the one you want and go from there. If you drill anything before, it will be too late afterwards. Have the parts in hand and the size NPT tap as well before drilling anything. Most NPT taps list the correct drill bit size to use. And one other thing, when drilling in the block or whatever, use some type of grease or Vaseline to catch the metal shavings from around the drill bit. Then clean up the grease and tap. It seriously isn't rocket surgery as you will see. :watermelon:

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is 1/8". But it's 1/8" pipe thread. Pipe thread is measured differently, it's not "actually" 1/8". you will need a 1/8" pipe thread tap (they have tapered threads so the fitting tightens as it goes in) make sure you use teflon tape on threads, and you will need an 11/32 drill bit for that size tap. I just did mine so it's fresh in my mind.

dtrojcak

Cadet

I haven't drilled any holes yet, so no worries there.
That makes sense. Evidently the taps I was looking at in tractor supply were not pipe thread taps.
The 11/32 drill and 1/8 tap are what the article stated, so I guess it was right after all. I was the one that was wrong, lol.

Thanks again for everyone's help/advice.

iwombat

Captain

I haven't drilled any holes yet, so no worries there.
That makes sense. Evidently the taps I was looking at in tractor supply were not pipe thread taps.
The 11/32 drill and 1/8 tap are what the article stated, so I guess it was right after all. I was the one that was wrong, lol.

Thanks again for everyone's help/advice.

Yes, the article is correct. I wrote it. :)