Where is your fire extinguisher?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Where is your fire extinguisher?

Ours is horizontal under the dash of the the helm. We have a second one under the bow seat cushion as well. Keeps them within close reach and far enough away from the most likely source of the fire (engine/fuel tank).

SteveRoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cap'n...
Sounds like the issue of where to put them has been pretty well answered.

As for mounting them on an aluminum boat, I have a solution for ya.
I went to Home DePot (Lowes probably has it too.) and got a length of composite decking. Its about 5-1/4 wide by 7/8 inch thick. Comes in various lengths. I was lucky to find a 10 foot piece which was broken about in half. Since it was damaged, I got it for 50 cents !! Anyhow, its made of mostly recycled plastic and looks like there may be a little sawdust mixed in. But it's definitely waterproof. You can cut whatever length you need and glue it to your boat with 3M 5200 adhesive. Then you can screw the fire extinguisher mounting bracket to the decking. If you later decide it's not in a convenient location, the decking can be removed; I've used a fillet knife. Then the residue peels off your aluminum boat leaving no trace.

I have used this method to mount my fishfinder transducer to the transom of my aluminum Jon, so I know it works well.

Good luck with it.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just below my left elbow.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but I hope you get another boat

Attachments

• Teaching Katie to pilot the boat.jpg
    Teaching Katie to pilot the boat.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0

sasto

Captain

I never keep mine in the most likely place for a fire to break out, console, engine compartment, or on top of my fuel tank.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Under glove box - port side kick panel.

Attachments

• photoFE2.jpg
    photoFE2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like to keep two onboard, one near the helm, usually either attached to a kick panel or to the back of a seat base, and a second one near the motor or splashwell. I like the idea of having a spare, and the need arises to use one on another boat, I'm not left with none on board for that day.

I also gave up on those plastic mounts they come with, I made up PVC sleeves that hold mine, that way all I need to do is grab the thing and go if needed.

Any possibility I could get you to take a pic of this? I kinda like the sound of it.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cap'n...
Sounds like the issue of where to put them has been pretty well answered.

As for mounting them on an aluminum boat, I have a solution for ya.
I went to Home DePot (Lowes probably has it too.) and got a length of composite decking. Its about 5-1/4 wide by 7/8 inch thick. Comes in various lengths. I was lucky to find a 10 foot piece which was broken about in half. Since it was damaged, I got it for 50 cents !! Anyhow, its made of mostly recycled plastic and looks like there may be a little sawdust mixed in. But it's definitely waterproof. You can cut whatever length you need and glue it to your boat with 3M 5200 adhesive. Then you can screw the fire extinguisher mounting bracket to the decking. If you later decide it's not in a convenient location, the decking can be removed; I've used a fillet knife. Then the residue peels off your aluminum boat leaving no trace.

I have used this method to mount my fishfinder transducer to the transom of my aluminum Jon, so I know it works well.

Good luck with it.

That is a great idea, thanks for the suggestion.

reelfishin

Captain

Any possibility I could get you to take a pic of this? I kinda like the sound of it.

Just picture an over sized rod holder mounted to the side of the foot well or gunwale.
In my case I took a 6' length of 4" PVC Schedule 40 pipe, through drilled it, with two holes, the inner holes are countersunk so they don't dig into the extinguisher. I have on mounted on a 45 degree angle to the left down support on the foot well on my one boat, and one mounted the same way but down below the gunwale, attached to the seat box on my aluminum Starchief. I also like to have one at the rear, near the motor and fuel tanks, usually near the point where you enter or exit the boat. On my Starchief, I have a small bording ladder that stows away within the starboard gunwale or storage bin, the fire ext. is just under the splashwell on that side. That way if I had to get to another boat on the water with it, or had to deal with battery fire, it's right there.

I keep one in both locations also because there's always the chance that you can't reach or get to the other in an emergency.