1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Ja if I heard that 4.3 right it said don't put me in that reborn beer can.:eek: I miss my bondo body. :facepalm: I could be wrong though. :p I can not wait to see that boat on the water. Do you have anyone to film it from a separate boat? A ride from the inside and from the outside would be cool.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Ja if I heard that 4.3 right it said don't put me in that reborn beer can.:eek: I miss my bondo body. :facepalm: I could be wrong though. :p I can not wait to see that boat on the water. Do you have anyone to film it from a separate boat? A ride from the inside and from the outside would be cool.

I agree pst, and if possible I would love to be the chase boat filming the legendary launch.

I say "chase" boat because I think Jason is gonna have me beat on top speed, depending on which outboard I end up buying.:D

Are you leaning towards Saginaw Bay for the launch? Or is it too early to discuss such things?

If that plan is gonna work I'd better go finish my boat too.:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ja if I heard that 4.3 right it said don't put me in that reborn beer can. I miss my bondo body. :facepalm: I could be wrong though. I can not wait to see that boat on the water. Do you have anyone to film it from a separate boat? A ride from the inside and from the outside would be cool.

Yyyyyaaaaaaahhhhhh, I'm pretty sure ya heard wrong pst:rolleyes:

Well, I've been thinking I'd have Sea Tow come meet me at the dock. They could run a quick video than tow me back as it will be obvious that I have absolutely no business wrenching on my own marine engine:facepalm:

I agree pst, and if possible I would love to be the chase boat filming the legendary launch.

I say "chase" boat because I think Jason is gonna have me beat on top speed, depending on which outboard I end up buying.

Are you leaning towards Saginaw Bay for the launch? Or is it too early to discuss such things?

If that plan is gonna work I'd better go finish my boat too.

I was kinda thinking I'd run some "sea trials" out at Sanford as long as the water level is reasonable, they fixed the dam so I should be good there. That way I could just wash up on shore vs. floating off to Canada if all goes to pot:D Maiden voyage will be at one of the big lakes, someday;):)

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Dude that merc sounds way to good to leave you sitting. Lord knows the thing will float even if you get hit by a rocket launcher. Never fails to get a grin when I read this thread.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dude that merc sounds way to good to leave you sitting. Lord knows the thing will float even if you get hit by a rocket launcher. Never fails to get a grin when I read this thread.

Yah bro, I'm just hanging out having fun. If the Islander runs that would be super cool too:D

Thanks for swinging through;)

OK, I better get otta here:eek: Wife has me on kitchen rebuild duty today.

Deadwood

Chief Petty Officer

I think I just walked into an unscheduled IO vs. OB trash talking session!

Jas, they're just jealous cause they won't have a bait cutting, fish cleaning, swimming-diving platform like you!;):D
Use your imagination and blur the edges of this pic and make it wavy and this is you (albeit a shorter/fatter you:facepalm:) sometime in the near future.:p
Transfers from work 131.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Wow that's a healthy looking Chinook there DW, nice fish:D

That fish-cleaning platform looks nice too:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That salmon shot is great motivation for me DW!!:D:D

I think I may sneak away from kitchen rebuild duty and move to Islander rebuild duty, ninja style, incognito;):D

dozerII

Admiral

Great job Jason, I think the two greys look good together, and boy are they shiney.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great job Jason, I think the two greys look good together, and boy are they shiney.
Glen

Thanks Glen, though we only have one gray now buddy:)

OK, so even though I went ninja I stil got busted working on the boat. She sent me right back into the kitchen. Man she is good.:facepalm:

Ah well, I still managed to lay the final coat of Light Machine Gray on the underside of the gunwales, transom and bilge before I got sent out...

P1050898.jpg

P1050899.jpg

I do think the all one color will look a little better, like it:)

By the way....

Don't know if you can tell but I left all the glue on the underside of the gunwales and just painted away. Knda gave it that "textured" look and I didn't have to grunt through stripping glue off. Works for me!

Cheers guys!

Triton II

Commander

Wow, you have been an active bunny Jason, great work. I agree with HA that the one lighter grey is the go. Hope the kitchen rebuilding is getting along as well as the boat. I promised the Admirable I'd redo her kitchen... however I didn't say when! :D. Waiting for the third reminder! :facepalm:

TII

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Jason, going to have to get the eyes checked, I looked back at the photos and one with the side panel in place and one looking back at the transom the shadows made it look like two kinds of grey, that looked good. DUH

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Waiting for the third reminder! :facepalm:

Kitchen rebuilds are killer man, hold out till she starts lobbing heavy kitchen utensils towards your head.

Hey Jason, going to have to get the eyes checked, I looked back at the photos and one with the side panel in place and one looking back at the transom the shadows made it look like two kinds of grey, that looked good. DUH

Nah Glen, I think you had it right there. I just changed it up on ya quick. Sorry man, I know following my thread is a rough ride:facepalm:

Before...
P1050888.jpg

After...
P1050898.jpg

Either way looks fine through the camera but in person the one color, lighter gray is a nicer setup.

Cheers!:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Allrighty, I kinda wanted to get something done before I went any further on the side panels.

I decided to make some pad deals for my shelves. I grabbed a couple of rolls of carpet from Menards, just a few bux...
P1050900.jpg

Cut out some 1/4" Arauco plywood to fit...
P1050901.jpg

Wrapped em up and laid them in...
P1050904.jpg

P1050903.jpg

I'll just mount them with a couple of stainless screws so they are easy to get out if I need to.

Couple of things I was thinking with those. I really didn't want gear rattling and rolling around on that aluminum shelf. Also, don't know if ya noticed but my aluminum shelf stopped short of the transom buy about a foot and a half - just asking for stuff to roll back and fall into the bilge. Now, nowhere for stuff to fall as the shelf goes all the way back.

One less thing to do.:)

maddiedog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a great place to put your birds, dipseys, spin doctors, probes, pliers....oh wait you don't want gear rattling around:D:D Wait until the heat of the battle!!! Those things will be loaded with stuff...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks fellas! Yah maddie, those shelves are fully 12 feet long and I am glad as I'll be using the whole lot of em I am sure:)

Well, this morning I put back all my pink foam board flotation. You'd think I could have just stuck it back in there, nope. Had to piece it all back in pretty much:facepalm:

Ah well.

Hey here are a close ups of the old vinyl glue turned "texture" on the underside of my gunwales...
P1050907.jpg

P1050906.jpg

Totally content with how that turned out.

Later doods:)

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Default texturing...Love it. I have carpet in the sides of the SS and it goes all the way up to the gunwal. Nothing rattles.