1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Being very aware of what the angry mob is capable of as well as the fact they enjoy turning on their own, I'm a little nervous right now:eek:

Ok, so where in the world did I put that camera? Any of you guys see it lately?:confused:

Triton II

Commander

The mobsters are gathering! :facepalm:

TII

windshield_time

Seaman Apprentice

Ok look if I'm up all night waiting for these pictures you are gonna pay !!!!!:mad:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Camera is MIA, bummer. Maybe just as well though, see:

I just spent the last couple of hours working on those cushions. Check it out....

I went over to the upholstery guy last week and he gave me an estimate, me supplying all the material and them doing the labor. Quote at $225. I said, "Hey, what if you do all the sewing and such and leave the stapling to the backer board to me?" He said "Sure, how about $175?" "Alllrighty."

Well guys, he definitely did his part. It looks great, really excellent work. Very happy about that!

Me? Well my part was marginal. Most of the pieces turned out ok but that big U shaped one has some wrinkles from those stinkin inside corners:facepalm::facepalm: Carp. Rats.

Little embarrassed. I should have probably just left the whole deal to the pros. I was sure with them handling the real difficult stuff I could just wrap and staple the rest easy enough. Well, I was wrong again. :facepalm:

When I find that camera I'll post up so you guys can mock me, I deserve it:rolleyes:

Triton II

Commander

Camera MIA and wrinkly upholstery. Wow, those are the best excuses I've ever heard. Mobsters, let's leave him to his misery... this time. :facepalm:

TII

Seriously Jas, I hope the camera turns up and the wrinkles shrink as the vinyl settles. :)

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a little behind on your thread Jason, but Rustoleum makes boat paint... ( I didn't know that) Home Depot sells it.. Check out their website... $30 for 2qts. My boat has seen the water lately, not too many fish and still has A LONG way to go before "DONE"... lol.. moving into a bigger place in a few weeks with much more "BOAT" room... It's over 100 here now until freakin November, so it'll be fun!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK guys, camera is still MIA so I snapped a few cell shots on my way out the door this morning.

Here is that nose piece that I had on the video a little wile back, muuuuuch better...
IMAG0249.jpg

This is one of the removable center pieces that drop in when it's nap time...
IMAG0247.jpg

That piping they actually built out of my Nautolex vinyl, so perfect match. Man they did a nice job! There is no way in the world that I would have been able to pull off that kind of quality had I tried to learn to sew this winter. Those seams are beauties!

Here is that great big U shaped piece...
IMAG0248.jpg

You can see the wrinkles in the corners there, bummer. After stewing on it for a while, the issue may have been my own design flaw. See, I used plywood backers for this foam. Original was just vinyl all around. So, I think just by the nature of stretching the vinyl over and stapling, those wrinkles work their way in.

But, to take those plywood backers out of the mix would have resulted in just about double the vinyl material, double the piping, zippers installed all the way around and at least double (probably triple) the labor costs. That would have been biiiiiiiiiiigggg money had I gone that route. I simply could not have found that much $$$ in the budget.

I can live with the wrinkles.:)

By the way, this air stapler is totally awesome! About a million times better than any manual/electric stapler! And bottom feeder friendly at 10 bux...
IMAG0250.jpg

Man, how I wish I would have grabbed that before I did all that other vinyl work!

Cheers fellas:D

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yep...You just can't beat someone at their own trade. Looks good and the price is right. Just about what I paid for pads in the SS and those are all on 1/2" ply backers too. I had the guy tack them on the boards so I didn't have to stretch them myself. This time I'll try to get my sister in laws help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think it would very difficult to get that U shaped deal to look perfect. Probably should have been in 2 pieces or something. I think it all looks fine and when put in the cabin will look great. You're not that much of a doofus :p

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

yep...You just can't beat someone at their own trade

Totally agree Michael. I am kinda thick headed and feel like I can pull off most stuff, but ya know what, this sort of work, has to be left to the pros if I want it to look pro.

You're not that much of a doofus :p

Disagree ez. I am probably a bigger doofis than ya think:facepalm:

Either way, I am quite content with the results.:)

but Rustoleum makes boat paint... ( I didn't know that) Home Depot sells it.

Yah, my local Menards also sells marine top and bottom side paint. I decided not to go that route as I want to quickly/easily rattle can any scratches that will come my way ya know.

Cheers doods!

dozerII

Admiral

Looks great Jason, will be first class up there in the cabin.
Glen

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Cushions lookin' real good Jason...... I know how it is. My motto has always been if I can do it myself I will. Usually with results that are just as good or better than someone else doing it. But other times it just looks better to have a pro do it :p. :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks great Jason, will be first class up there in the cabin.
Glen

I am looking forward to that first afternoon nap I get to take up there.;)

Cushions lookin' real good Jason...... I know how it is. My motto has always been if I can do it myself I will. Usually with results that are just as good or better than someone else doing it. But other times it just looks better to have a pro do it :p. :D

Yah, I've been rebuilding old houses for a while now. I can swing just about everything but every once in a while a call will go out to the plumber/electrician when the job is clearly over my head. Then I stand and watch and learn. Often times I'll see them swear/struggle/curse at that same job, then I don't feel quite so incompetent.

OK guys, I'll be off the boat for just about 2 weeks. We are loading up for a extended family getaway over to the big lake on the west side of the mitt. Man am I ever a sad kid that I can't take this Islander along.:( Whudda been awesome, ah well. I'm way looking forward to hanging with my bro/sis and their kiddos, mom/dad, should be a great time.:)

That will be followed up with a summer class I have. So, the slow forward progress is on hold for a bit.

I'll be packing clean socks and the Mercruiser Installation Manual. I'm thinking I'll need one day to install the side panels and then a couple/few days to do a bunch of paint prep type work. After that, I should be on to propulsion:D I've got the fancy phone to keep track of you guys talking trash.

Cheers!

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Jason, Have yourself a great time, it is always real nice to get together with family for a summer time break.
Glen

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have a great vacation man nice progress with the cushions you could always bring the islander along and use it as a camper and make it a working vacation:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

I experienced the same thing about a year ago when we stayed in Manistee for a week.

I was told that we would not be able to store a boat at the rented condo there according to some goofy rules...so I left the SS at home, to my great dismay.:(

When I found out that we could've kept the rig in the attached 2-car garage and been out on Lake Michigan or the river all week I almost cried.:facepalm:

I have no advice that could help you out when you see all the boats out and about, and tasty salmon being caught(other than to charter a boat one morning, what's Bcast doing I wonder?), but good luck to ya and have fun! :D

Triton II

Commander

Have a great family holiday Jas... I'm sure that Mercruiser manual will be imprinted by the time you return boat restoration duties. :)

TII

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the well wishes guys!

My morning run took me through the harbor marina - giant glassers as far as the eye can see:facepalm::facepalm:

I am a bottom feeder in a foreign land:rolleyes::redface: