1975 Super Sport 16' boat requesting admission to the Starmada! (2nd Splash complete)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1975 Super Sport 16' boat requesting admission to the Starmada!

Jas, the reason for NOT pulling the transom are twofold. First, it's plenty solid enough to last me for awhile. And second, I want need to use every penny I can toward making some progress on cutting and dry-fitting the floor and subsequently waterproofing it.

My budget is very limited, so throwing a ton of money on this resto...is not going to be an option.

Here's the basic plan for this weekend.

- Replace a handful of missing rivets in the stringers
- Cut and dry fit the entire floor
- Remove rotted panels on the consoles and replace them with new ply.

When it comes to waterproofing the plywood, I'm def going to need some help and advice. I've read so many threads on the epoxy vs poly debate that my head hurts...

Bottom line: What's the cost of waterproofing with epoxy vs poly? Is laying fiberglass cloth needed for both methods? Or is it only used if I go the poly route.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Transom is a freebee. Just use scrap left over from your deck. What ever you use to seal your deck, use that to seal your transom also. So, basically the transom doesn't cost you anything extra but about an hour of your time. Plus, at 37 years of age, it's about time. Plus, you are in full rebuild mode right now. Doing it now saves time and money a few years down the road. Just a suggestion is all.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

If cash is that tight I'd go with porch and floor paint or spar varnish that can be picked up locally.

BonairII

Commander

If cash is that tight I'd go with porch and floor paint or spar varnish that can be picked up locally.

My budget IS tight, but I don't want to use something that's going to fail on me quickly.

Epoxy seems to be overkill for my situation because the interior of the boat will rarely get wet(aside from water from landing fish and also from pulling the anchor in). I always cover the boat when it's not in use.

From what I've read, poly is much cheaper than epoxy....but requires laying fiberglass and I've never worked with fiberglass. Is glassing the floor panels something a noob can reasonably handle?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Price out the poly and glass and compare it to just epoxy. To know what kind of glassen stuff you need you'll need to read glass boat threads. Hardly any metal boat guys go that route.

From memory...

Two fellas went with glass (NB, AndyNY) one went well and the other was a failure.

BonairII

Commander

If I go the epoxy route...is it simply mixing the epoxy and rolling/brushing it on the plywood?

I've read a bunch of threads on epoxy and where to get it (US composites, Raka Inc etc). How much epoxy will I need?

BonairII

Commander

Ok....I've made a decision:

I'm going to simply going to paint the decking with some kind of epoxy paint(maybe garage floor paint?) and call it a day. That should be plenty of protection for the plywood since my boat floor rarely ever gets wet. I'll be covering the floor with carpet or vinyl, so no UV protection won't be necessary.

All I need now is for someone to recommend a good epoxy floor paint that I can buy locally (Home Depot or Lowe's).

barato2

Commander

as to your first Q, yes. you will want to make sure you spend some time getting the end grain well saturated, as that's where the ply will want to absorb water first. on how much, not sure. maybe 3/4 gallon (2 qts resin, 1 hardener)?

two more reasons to do your transom now: 1) it's much easier to get up under the splashwell with the floor out and you have better access to the nuts on inside of transom bolts, which are often not just a bear but a large angry rabid mother grizzly bear with cubs to get off. if you do put off the transom job, i'd recommend installing rearmost floor panel with removable fasteners.

2) if every other bit of wood on your boat is rotted enough to need replacement, i wouldn't assume there's no rot in the transom just because there's no obvious soft wood.

dozerII

Admiral

BII, go with the spar varnish I put three coats on both sides, get the edges each time then another coat over the top after the install to seal all the screws and rivets. Starcraft never sealed the floor with anything and look how long it lasted. The only problem with spar varnish is the left over goes bad in the can quick so we started using quarts.
just my 2 cents
Glen

BonairII

Commander

2) if every other bit of wood on your boat is rotted enough to need replacement, i wouldn't assume there's no rot in the transom just because there's no obvious soft wood.

The transom is def something I'm going to replace....and knowing me, I'll just end up pulling this weekend.

Just sold the seats from Starcraft a few minutes ago....another $40 toward my materials budget. :D

I'm going to pick up some plywood today...what is this Arauco plywood that was mentioned earlier? I went to HD yesterday and couldn't find any ply labeled with that name. Is it listed under some other designation?
I did see this:
3f132d57.jpg

Is this the stuff? Or do I need to be looking for exterior hardwood(not pine) ply?

Dozer,
It's just called "spar varnish"? Is there a certain brand I should be looking for?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Do you have a Lowes? The exterior plywood I got at Home Depot for my deck was GARBAGE. Voids everywhere. Lowes should have the Arauco. Also, someone mentioned Home Depot having it but it wasn't labeled as such but was labeled "made in Chile" which is where Arauco comes from.

BonairII

Commander

I'll head out to Lowe's and check it out. Thx

barato2

Commander

i think Minwax calls their exterior spar varnish "Helmsman". not the only brand but this is readily available and i've been reasonably happy with it. don't get the water base stuff that goes on milky....it gives a great finish but not sure about it standing up to UV for long.

BonairII

Commander

Picked up 4 sheets of 23/32"(3/4") of the Arauco ply at Lowe's. $42 bucks a sheet. :(

I did get lucky though cause the first Lowe's I went to only had 2 sheets, so I had to go to another Lowe's...which undercharged me by $20 for the 2 sheets of ply I got there. :D

I went with the thicker ply just to be on the safe side, plus it's likely to hold the pedestal bases more securely.

Checked out the spar varnish also. They carry Cabot and Helmsman. $46 bucks a gallon for the Helmsman.

Made more progress on the boat

Drilled out the bad rivets out of the stringers and re-riveted. Stringers are rock solid now. Removed side panels and vertical supports under the splashwell.

Cut the first piece of the floor this afternoon and trial fitted it. Still need to decide how large to make the bilge cutout.

dozerII

Admiral

Minwax Helmsman is the brand we have been using, real nice to work with and relatively quick dry time.
Glen

BonairII

Commander

Getting a lot done today.

Floor pretty much done and dry fitted. Bilge area cut.

Sun is hot today....going to work on the consoles now(inside the garage)
6ad62b50.jpg

a9986870.jpg

BonairII

Commander

Removed the rotten console panels(back and dash panels).
8431d10a.jpg

Making new dash panels...one is done.
5ae5c500.jpg

Dry fitted the consoles back on the boat
ae59e285.jpg

Time for pizza!

Hopefully, I'll get a second wind....and get more work done tonight.

BonairII

Commander

Banged out some more of the resto tonight.

I finished the dash pieces and dry fitted the consoles(get the windshields level was a pain. The pic was taken before the consoles were correctly set
a8fbd9fd.jpg

77f9a156.jpg

I started mocking up the bow using the original pieces that came with the boat.
e9fd62f3.jpg

My son and I have decided to make the entire bow, a casting deck. Now I need to figure out how to design the framework under the deck to maximize support and still have accessible storage under there(including access to the trolling motor battery I'll have installed at the front of the bow.

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Coming along nicely. Work is looking great. Is it the thicker floor(3/4" Ply) that is causing it more difficult to line up the windshield?