1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

[thrillhouse700 Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
we have 3 marine batteries (wont use them all but we have some to choose from), We have a capacitor. No work today on the boat, I woke up in excruciating pain from a kidney stone /QUOTE]
I hope that all comes out OK. No puns intended.
Sorry you are not up to par. I hope you have some good chemicals.
Bob

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Man, that is one massive coil on that sub! I'm beyond my days of thumping along, but I can't fault you if you've never done it before. It was fun, even if foolish (headaches, permanent hearing loss).

I still can't get over how fast you are getting this thing together. I check here almost every day for an update, and am normally not disappointed. Keep on trucking!

I can't wait to see the engine return. I've had nuts and bolts rattling around the garage for so many months I wonder if I still have them all and if I'll remember hwo to put them all back in. I hope you were more organized than i was (which prob wouldn't be hard ;)).

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was laid off a while back and don't have health insurance..... So I will have to just tough it out.

redfury

Commander

A big sunpad up front with the boomer below is a great idea...porting the pulses into the cabin from what I can see. I don't have a deep enough front deck to do something like that, so I'd have to get creative with 6 inch sub(s) if I went that route. Not sure if I am going to go nuts with a sound system or not. I may just take the idea of the sunpad up front idea and run with it though. I wanted to make the front convertible from seating to casting deck, but I could just go to a straight casting deck and use a removable sun pad for when I'm out cruising with the family....I'm going to look into that this summer.

thrillhouse700

Update, stoopid horrible pain has subsided quite a bit but still hurting.

That is a great price on the alternator!!! Can anyone comment on the quality? I know nothing about marine alternators and as a mechanic I have only used OEM stuff :)

Redfury, if you put the woofer where we did try and waterproof it best you can. We figured wet people will be on the sunpad and water always finds the lowest point. What we did was fiberglass the entire outside of the box for strength and waterproofing. Lost cause started painting it yesterday while I was agonizing in pain.

We made the ports out of 1.5" abs and a 45 degree elbow so the ports look straight then they angle up inside the box to not allow water to get in. Then, on the top where the woofer goes we recessed it and are putting a piece of plexiglass over it. sealing the plexi glass with with what we used to use to seal sunroof trays at mercedes. We call it dumdum or butyl cord, its a black putty that comes in the form of a cord. waterproof and removeable if we ever need to get to the sub.

Lastly because of the plexi covering the woofer, when the woofer is at full power we were scared that the woofer would push and pull enough air up into the space between the woofer and plexi so we put an "air drain" so to speak in, it looks ghetto as hell but we were out of money. Its a 1/2'' pvc going through to the rear with a 90 degree elbow facing down so water won't drop into it.

Anyways hope that helps. Im hoping to get rid of this stone soon so I can get back to the boat!

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds as tho you have the sub already in. Did you design the box etc to specific size or just hope for the best? Did you see my post above?

The alternator should be fine. Like I say there is nothing really special about them, they just have flash back arrestors around them from what I can see. There should be no sparks in an alt anyway (under normal service), since the commutator bushes are always in contact with the field windings, unlike a motor which will have several windings and the bushes will spark as it changes from one to another.

thrillhouse700

Yeah I read your post, sorry. The box is built to the manufacturer spec for cubic inches. It is ported towards the stern of the boat. We tried to mount the sub facing the stern but its too big and won't fit anywhere. This is the only way to get it to fit.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

madgadget. you are WRONG, there is a lot more to a USCG Approved marine alternetor. sure use a standard on your boat, but please do not recommend the to anyone else. gas fumes + standard alternator = BOOM.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

madgadget. you are WRONG, there is a lot more to a USCG Approved marine alternetor. sure use a standard on your boat, but please do not recommend the to anyone else. gas fumes + standard alternator = BOOM.[/QUOTE]

ya..not the boom ya lookin for thrill..

McGR

Thrill that will be an impressive "bass-boat" once you get that woofer hooked up and working.

Sorry, I couldn't help it...

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just checking in, great job as always. That boat is gonna pound with that sub, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt:D

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

that sub ought to make for great sound on the river! My BIL added one to his boat and it really improved the heck out of his sound system.

Wow...I bought a car starter for my Newman boat project.....guess I hafta return it eh? :mad:

sprintst

Commander

That's a nice big sub. You should be able to lay across it and get your buddy to crank the tunes. It might be enough to bust up the kidney stone :)

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

madgadget. you are WRONG, there is a lot more to a USCG Approved marine alternetor. sure use a standard on your boat, but please do not recommend the to anyone else. gas fumes + standard alternator = BOOM.

Please enlighten me then. I did ask if anyone had actually taken one apart to look. I have repaired hundreds of regular automotive alternators indeed the one I run is a custom one I built myself from parts.

So far all I can find from other sources is the difference is they have flash back arresters built in (mesh) and possibly a second fan to aid cooling, they may also have additional corrosion resistance, also some of the better ones are brush-less. So please elaborate how I am so wrong.

Thanks!

sprintst

Commander

Dude... Did you pi** out that stone yet? :)

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Looking forward to seeing the finished project..

In the words of bear_69cuda: "hurry up!"

:)

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Ditto HURRy warm weathers a coming! summer comes sooner in CA than everywhere else didnt ya know!

thrillhouse700

Hey guys!!!!! Sorry we have not posted. Took me a while to get that kidney stone situated and then my Folks came over from FL for my Bday for a week and then I have been going through a pretty brutal interview process for a job that I'm really hoping to get.

On the plus side we have gotten a few things done or at least started....
First, we built our kill room um I mean Paint booth.
DSCF1249-1.jpg

DSCF1250-1.jpg

Then we put the boat in it.
DSCF1253.jpg

All the prep work on the top is close to done, just had to put a coat of primer on to see what we may have missed and we counted maybe 6-7 spots that need filler. Masked it off and sprayed our first coat of primer.

DSCF1251.jpg

DSCF1252.jpg

DSCF1254.jpg

More than likely I will have to head back in for more of the interview process this week so maybe more updates next week.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey thrillhouse700,
The boat is really looking good. So is the booth.
Keep up the good work.
Good luck on the job too.
Bob