Drive won't go on last 1"

PJT8362

Cadet
I am trying to get my alpha drive back on after replacing gimbal and bellows. I got the shaft lined up by turning the prop, but the drive will not go in the last 1". I have taken it out 5 times and rotated the shaft, and everytime it will not go in the last inch. Has this ever happened to anyone else? If so, how did you get ti to go in?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Drive won't go on last 1"

Was the drive hard to get off when you removed it? Did you check the alignment with an alignment bar?
Did you put new orings on the shaft? Did you lube those orings?
You didn't put too much grease in the coupling and causing a hydrolock did you?

PJT8362

Cadet

The drive came right out very easily, so I think the alignment is good. I did not use an alignment tool. I think the shaft is in the splines because I can not turn the prop. I did not use a lot of grease on the spline. It feels like the shaft if hitting something. Are there two sets of splines and I am hitting the second set?

Thanks for the help

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Only one set of splines, what about the orings and the lube on them?

frayed knot

Seaman Apprentice

Make absolutely sure the controls are in forward gear, as well as the shift shaft (pointing straight forward). If not, guess what? It won't go on the last 1".

whywhyzed

Banned

You might be entering the splines, but if the front of the engine is low (or high), you'll be going in at an angle and it'll get tight. Get an alignment tool or look for something to assist - My 3/4" drive ratchet handle fits perfect...

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

You need to align the bearing to the motor. You need the alignment tool.
I had the same thing on my cobra and I ended up grabbing a piece of stainless steel bar and I made my own alignment tool
Rob

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

its the 2 shaft orings that sit in the gimbal, lube them and try again. sometimes ill give the drive a kick at that point. make very sure all the on and off hasnt damaged the large square rubber seal and its still glued in well.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Yup, check the alignment. A friend fought his Cobra for hours, only to find the bearing was twisted a bit. He borrowed my alignment tool and got it what he thought was aligned, but drive wouldn't go the last inch. I went over and checked it. Alignment was close, but the tool was stiff to install/remove. had him adjust the motor mounts a couple more turns, and voila, drive slid right on.

If Mercruiser,a s has been stated, check what gear everything is in.

PJT8362

Cadet

I got it on. I believe it was the o-rings. Just one slight kick to the drive, and it went right on. I think the drive was sliding on right up to the o-rings, and just needed a little encouragement to get into the gimbal bearing.

Thanks to all for the help!!!