1974 Ouachita Tri-hull Bass Boat Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think all you need is the shorter driveshaft and a different length water tube, then. You just remove the extension.

But again, the Merc w T&T is a great option and its 20yrs newer.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Checked out the motor . This is a 4 cylinder Merc with the oil injection 2 stroke ..

I,m pretty confident that it's a good motor . The guy looks like he really takes care of his boats . The w/p is less than a year old and had all the fluids changed and new plugs and carbs cleaned at the same time .. I have not heard it run or have done a compression check . Not sure if we can use the steering cable that Lisa has or not It has a bracket that mounts to the transom . I guess it would work with the right length arm ..
Maybe make an offer of about 600 ? Ya think it's worth that ? I have never run a Merc so I really know nothing about them . It has been used salt water but was flushed after every use from what he said ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
After doing some reading up on the oil injection . There was a problem with the plastic gear for the pump on models before 93 . From 93 they started using composite gears . So I guess its ok .Just hear many people bypassing the oil injection system and premixing the oil and gas .

jbcurt00

Staff member
Swapping to pre-mix is often done on the injected Johnny-rudes.

I dont see any reason a Merc wouldnt perform as well w pre-mix as the Johnsons do. But might ought to post the question in the Merc forum...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Checked compression 115,112,112,109 Posted on the merc forum . Cold test . you guys think those are acceptable numbers > The guy said he used it fishing on thanksgiving weekend and ran great ..

Tnstratofam

Commander
Compression seems okay, and close across the board. Is he gonna give any on the price?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have not made him an offer yet but asked if there was some wiggle room and he said yes ...

Tnstratofam

Commander
I think that if everything else looks good then go for it. What about the oil impeller you posted about earlier. Is it a problem with these engines, and if so can the oilier be bypassed and just premix gas and oil without to much hassle? One more dumb question will the stick steering be adaptable to the merc?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think the oil injection should be fine . From what I have read it was 93 and older that there was a problem .. At his last servicing they checked all that out and said it was good . Less than a year ago .. The steering may be a problem idk ...
I think this would be a nice upgrade for the girls ....

Tnstratofam

Commander
I think it's a good deal and in the long run having the tilt and trim seals the deal. Hopefully the steering won't be a big issue.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The trigger was pulled ..

Got it for 600 bucks .. I think a pretty good deal . I,m hoping Charles would have approved ...

tallcanadian

Captain
600 dollars is a great deal. Congratulations. I think it will run a bit better than that Johnny that you have. My brother-in-law had one and was a great working motor. Sweeeetttt!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Congrats! I suspect Charles is looking down wishing he'd had a bigger T&T Merc back in the day ;)

$600 is a great number :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm 99.999999999% certain Charle's is smilin down from above. I KNOW I AM!!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys . Just happened to see it listed and within walking distance to my house .. Great guy that had it ..
Got a prop for it today .. A new Q/S 15p . Had to get the hub kit also . It had a 14p prop on there before so not sure how it's gunna work . I think we need to install a tachometer so we can be sure that the prop is right for the application .. Not a lot of places to mount gauges on a consoless boat but I think I can sneak it in where the old key switch was located on the side panel .. Been pretty busy lately but me thinks I can run out there tomorrow to take the old motor off and maybe install the Merc ...Might have to do the ol grab and growl method if I cant find an extra hand . Its kinda heavy but I think I can handle it ...:joyous:
Maybe I could just hook the come along up in the garage without to much trouble ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I use a 6" Lag screw eye screwed into the garage door header and it lifted my 85 hp with NO Problems!!! I think you'll be fine.
I used this HF Hoist. Got it on sale for $34.99 Rated for #500. Handled the 85hp with NO Problems.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now don't you guys get jealous. Kelly and I Have the prettiest boat and motor ever And can't brag on Sam enough. He is so good to us. Lisa

Tnstratofam

Commander
We're only jealous that Sam is close enough to do all that awesome work, and we aren't. Of course most of us would probably still only stand there and let Sam work, but we'd still love to be there just the same. Can't wait to see pics of you all heading down the lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.