1973 Glastron V-156 Sportster Floor/Stringer Restoration

jmink

Seaman
Project Update

Hello iBoats! Here's the latest on the boat project:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good Work!!!! I was wondering what happened to you....glad you are still at it.

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
Good work Minkman. Somehow, I have managed to miss this thread up until now. I like your attention to detail. Love the boat. Keep up the good work.

jmink

Seaman
Good Work!!!! I was wondering what happened to you....glad you are still at it.

Good work Minkman. Somehow, I have managed to miss this thread up until now. I like your attention to detail. Love the boat. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Guys! I am still around and trying to get back in the swing of things. Again thanks for the words of encouragement, feel free to keep 'em coming!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Just curious why you decided to go with the PL adhesive instead of Titebond III wood glue to laminate the plywood? Any particular reason?? Transom fabrication and glass layup looks GREAT!! Only thing I like to do differently is on flat surfaces I like to roll on some resin first to wet out the substrate and then lay on the CSM to allow the resin to flow up thru the bottom and hit it with the bubble buster roller working from the middle out to the edges first to get the resin to come up from the bottom and then pour on some additional resin on top to finish it off. For me, I find I get fewer bubbles this way, but that's just me. Your transom turned out Nice!!!! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your work!;)

jmink

Seaman
Just curious why you decided to go with the PL adhesive instead of Titebond III wood glue to laminate the plywood? Any particular reason?? Transom fabrication and glass layup looks GREAT!! Only thing I like to do differently is on flat surfaces I like to roll on some resin first to wet out the substrate and then lay on the CSM to allow the resin to flow up thru the bottom and hit it with the bubble buster roller working from the middle out to the edges first to get the resin to come up from the bottom and then pour on some additional resin on top to finish it off. For me, I find I get fewer bubbles this way, but that's just me. Your transom turned out Nice!!!! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your work!;)

Went with PL mainly because it was available locally and I knew it would work. What I didn't show was some test pieces I made with PL to prove to me how strong it was. Thanks for the tips and following my progress.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
PL is plenty strong. I just don't like to have to wait 2-3 days for it to totally cure and stop outgassing. The Titebond III is so much easier to use and readily available everywhere. Has some very impressive bonding Lab test results too!!! I guess the bottom line really is that if you get it bonded together and encapsulate it properly and glassed to the hull properly, it's gunna last a LONG time no matter what you use!!!;)

Last edited:

jmink

Seaman
PL is plenty strong. I just don't like to have to wait 2-3 days for it to totally cure and stop outgassing. The Titebond III is so much easier to use and readily available everywhere. Has some very impressive bonding Lab test results too!!! I guess the bottom line really is that if you get it bonded together and encapsulate it properly and glassed to the hull properly, it's gunna last a LONG time no matter what you use!!!;)

Yeah the transom is pretty stout; way stronger than what was in there to begin with!

jmink

Seaman
Project Update
In this new video I show you how I make fiberglass putty and patch holes in the hull of the boat.

Last edited:

jmink

Seaman
I've been working tonight on a task list to get started back up on the boat project. I am pretty excited to get rolling!

jmink

Seaman
Project Update

Well I finally got the Transom glued and tabbed into place. There were several steps to getting this done, but I got through them all. Here's my video update and pictures below:

Transom sitting in boat before I drilled motor mount/drain holes

Drilling out the motor and drain holes

Transom has fresh coat of PL glue and is clamped in place to dry/bond with the hull

Reverse shot of transom with fresh coat of PL glue and is clamped in place to dry/bond with the hull

Clamps removed now a bit of clean up before drain install and tabbing can begin

Drain plug has been installed

Filled in the voids on the outskirts of the transom with fiberglass putty (put in lots of chopped strand fibers to add support)

Pre-tabbing shot

2 layers of .1708 tabbing

Then skinned with a layer of .1708 and a layer of CSM

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Glad to see ya back, Mink!
Awesome job on the transom!
Seems rock solid, water-tight, and battle ready!
Thanks for the cool vid, really enjoyed it!
GT

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As GT said, Glad you are still poking around at the Glastron!!!! Great work and video!!

jmink

Seaman
As GT said, Glad you are still poking around at the Glastron!!!! Great work and video!!

I appreciate it Corjen, I've been following your progress as well and your project is looking awesome! I've been meaning to ask you about what kind of paint you went with on your boat. I don't remember reading it in your thread anywhere.

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been following along....Good work, good videos, lots of important information for fellow I-Boaters. Curious as to Why? you used PL instead of PB to attach the transom wood to the hull? As WOG always says...."your boat," but just curious. Keep up the good work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd say that's some My-T-Fine Glassin on your transom install!!! That'll be there when you're GrandKids inherit the Boat!!!!:D

jmink

Seaman
I have been following along....Good work, good videos, lots of important information for fellow I-Boaters. Curious as to Why? you used PL instead of PB to attach the transom wood to the hull? As WOG always says...."your boat," but just curious. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Daniel, I didn't know that using PL was such a controversial thing before I used it. But, I did it because I had seen it used by others and I knew it would save me on fiberglass materials. Also I used it properly to where I felt it would work great.