1973 Glastron V-156 Sportster Floor/Stringer Restoration

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Glastron V-156 Sportster Floor/Stringer Restoration

Yes, that is the area. I tried to seperate it without cutting into the top but I wasn't able to get it all from the bottom.

An oscillating saw is a good thing to have for cutting the tabbing around the transom. It also allows you to cut the stringers out flush without worring about cutting thorugh the hull. A flush cut means less griding. I'm sure that are other good brands, but I bought a Bosch saw after my Dremel saw died. I think Friscoboater killed a Dremel during his rebuild too. Stay away from those.

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

epoxy is the way to go. take a good look at the rubber rub rail before you pull it out .comes out in one piece and you might need a heat( easy with the heat) gun to stretch it out when trying to get it back in place. any wood needs to be DRY before epoxy / fiberglass work..careful with the original transom it will help when measuring for the new one. you have alot of cutting ahead be careful what you are cutting. when you set it back in the water all was worth it !

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome Minkman02!

You have found the best place on the internet for information on your boat and restoration and have a great looking project!

I too started a restore on an older boat last fall. I watched every video that friscoboater had on his Searay restore and found that fiber glassing a boat is much the same as with aircraft, except no stringers in aircraft.

I hung out here for 6 months before I posted mine. There are many people who have "been there, done that" and more than willing to help when you get hung up. Most of my new found friends have restored older boats our age.

I didn't consider the epoxy at all due to price. It is somewhat stronger than poly on woven fabric, but the CSM holds about 4 times as much resin as the cloth, and as Woodonglass said, the poly becomes one with the CSM, and it is this thickness of resin and glass that makes it the choice for me.

You've got a lot of photos in your bucket, that you ought to start sharing so we can follow your restoration. Just click on the image link on the photo you want to add and it will automatically copy the address and drop it into your thread so we can see them! Videos are cool, but sometimes photos are better.

Last edited:

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Advise, sure.. as you know it's not a big trihull at 15.2 ft.. best served on calmer waters... tri hulls can be punishing in wavy conditions.. if your in rivers or smaller lakes, it will suit you well.
The plus side of tri-hulls is that they are extremely stable at rest and on the go. Families with youngster appreciate that !

jmink

Seaman

The plus side of tri-hulls is that they are extremely stable at rest and on the go. Families with youngster appreciate that !

Glad to hear about the stability, I've never been out in one.

jmink

Seaman

Project Update

I was finally able to remove the motor and move the boat indoors. In this video I show you the motor stand that I built as well as how to remove the outboard redneck style. Pictures are a in my flickr account linked in my signature. Still having problems uploading pictures to the forum. Also here is a link to the thread that I downloaded the stand plans from: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...ing-o-b-motor-stand-instructional-266008.html

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Your motor is mounted on your transom so that the cavitation plate is even with or slightly above the keel of the boat. I suspect that's why it was bolted on the way it was.
Shaft-Length.gif

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great build...if you dont mind, I think I will tag a long.....

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Subscribed. The V 156 Sportster was one of the most widely copied models ever.

Check out the Classic Glastron site, or CGOAMN.com. Some 156 restos over there.

jmink

Seaman

Project Update

There has been a lot of progress since the last video/update. In this newest video I discuss/show everything from: removing the last bits of the interior and windshield, adding supports to the trailer to make it more cradle like, removing the rub rail, and finally removing the cap. Instead of separating these bits into their own videos I wanted to make one big compilation that would move forward faster. So take a look at the video and the pictures below.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

looking good so far mink! :)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hey Josh,
Just caught wind of your thread and have just finished watching all your Boat vids...
You have done a great job so far documenting and I have subscribed to your YT channel.
You got yourself a real nice project and I am stoked to see you make it better than new!
Seems like you have a great handle on everything and I would like to come aboard and watch, learn, cheer and help out...
Best of Luck and Have Fun!
Gus:D

jmink

Seaman

Hey Josh,
Just caught wind of your thread and have just finished watching all your Boat vids...
You have done a great job so far documenting and I have subscribed to your YT channel.
You got yourself a real nice project and I am stoked to see you make it better than new!
Seems like you have a great handle on everything and I would like to come aboard and watch, learn, cheer and help out...
Best of Luck and Have Fun!
Gus:D

Thanks Gus, that means a lot to me!

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good. If at all possibile, resist the urge to remove all the sringers at the same time. If you replace all the stringers except the center one, then remove and replace it after the outboard stringers are in, the chances of the hull being deformed are greatly decreased.

When I redid my stringers, I didnt put "notches" in them for the 1"x4" that was used to bridge the seams in the plywood floor. I just taped the edges of the plywood from the top with several layers of 6" fiberglass tape and it worked well. If you want to use gellcoat instead of carpet for the floor, it would mean that you would have more work with the fairing the deck, but it might still be worth it.

SAT_Bob

Seaman

Nice work so far. I'd like to follow along.

jmink

Seaman

Looking good. If at all possibile, resist the urge to remove all the sringers at the same time. If you replace all the stringers except the center one, then remove and replace it after the outboard stringers are in, the chances of the hull being deformed are greatly decreased.

When I redid my stringers, I didnt put "notches" in them for the 1"x4" that was used to bridge the seams in the plywood floor. I just taped the edges of the plywood from the top with several layers of 6" fiberglass tape and it worked well. If you want to use gellcoat instead of carpet for the floor, it would mean that you would have more work with the fairing the deck, but it might still be worth it.

I remember you telling me previously not to remove them all at the same time. I wasn't sure if I needed to remove/replace the center first and work my way out or vice versa. But, now that I know your way it makes a lot of since.

jmink

Seaman

Nice work so far. I'd like to follow along.

Thanks, please jump on the Mink restoration train. Maybe if enough people do, it can keep it from becoming derailed!

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully you've taken a lot of measurements of the inside at the deck level and the gunwales level so you know what the dimensions were in it's original form. This will allow you to make sure she's back in her original configuration when the deck is ready to be installed. Making a Mark with a Magic Marker at the deck level on the hull sides can be a big help when it comes time to place stringers and deck at the correct height. The way you have the trailer reinforced should allow you to remove the stringers totally without any issues. Tri-Hulls due to the hulls configuration tend to hold their shape much better than a v-hull.

jmink

Seaman

Hopefully you've taken a lot of measurements of the inside at the deck level and the gunwales level so you know what the dimensions were in it's original form. This will allow you to make sure she's back in her original configuration when the deck is ready to be installed. Making a Mark with a Magic Marker at the deck level on the hull sides can be a big help when it comes time to place stringers and deck at the correct height. The way you have the trailer reinforced should allow you to remove the stringers totally without any issues. Tri-Hulls due to the hulls configuration tend to hold their shape much better than a v-hull.

I do have a yellow note pad of measurements, that process didn't make it into the video. Thanks for the tip about the marker/stringer heights. Will put that on to my to do list.