1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

island mike

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

I guess I forgot to mention the main reason I'm going with poly is I want to use gelcoat. I know that poly won't stick to epoxy so that's the reason I want to just use poly.
I see.......I think..:eek:

the part about poly and gel I do not understand..Please enlight me...are you saying that you cant gel over epoxy???
Also you mentioned having 5 gallons of epoxy..My idea any good??
Why not use that epoxy( stronger,You already have it)for the structual repairs?epoxy on poly-good poly on epoxy-no good catch my drift?:cool:

Well whatever you decide you my friend be assured that you will have one incredible boat when done,I can just feel it.No rush.
Soon come.
Regards Island mike

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

To start off I'm no expert, well actually I don't know much at all but from what I have read gelcoat is poly based. I agree with you on using the epoxy for some of the structural stuff but from what I understand it takes alot longer to set up thus taking alot longer to do layups ect. I still have some time to decide so I'm in no rush.

I think I will try to build a cradle that will be part of the trailer. There's no way I'm going to try to get this thing off the trailer. I think I can make the cradle so it supports the hull and just sits across the frame rails of the trailer.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Hi,boatnut.
I am no expert either,Just a former boatyard employee..
just wanted to say there is a misconseption about the epoxy and gelcoat..
Gelcoat is being aplied as we speak on a routine basis by boatyards on epoxy...
There are a lot of things I do not know too
I am glad google exists!(makes me look so intelligent! LOL)

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

P.s good idea about the support on the trailer,Altough it is very possible to remove your boat from trailer.
We used to take big boats (40,50 ft.)off trailers on a regular basis when the hydrolic trailer was not useable we did it by hand,meaning big jacks and of course lots of blocks..

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I'm thankful for google as well, that's how I found iboats! I will have to do a little more research on the epoxy and gelcoat. I think I will still stick with poly resin as that's what the boat is made with. I have other things I can use the epoxy for.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

iMike, I would be very interested in knowing what epoxy is being used by the boatyards that are applying gelcoat over it. I know that with some special prep you can get it to work, but...not really the recommended method. I know West Systems touts that Gelcoat will adhere to Properly prepared epoxy, but... there are just so many variables due to the amine's in the epoxy products, that the average DIY'er and even the pro's have to deal with that I just don't see why you would want to go to the trouble. Gelcoat is poly based and poly just don't like epoxy in any way, shape, or form. Anyhow that's been my experience in the past 40 yrs.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Hi woodonglass.
At the boatyard we always used epoxy for repairs.
and yes indeed you are right we used west system.Now I do not know if its the best system but we dont have a lot to choose from here on our tiny island!
After repairs we gelcoated the repair. years later its still fine....
Regards I mike

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

One detail I forgot to mention is that before gel we aplied a primer coat .
again I dont know if its the best system and I am fully aware of the pros and cons of this perticular topic but thats the way we did it..

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Well we had a good thanksgiving and a good trip to Colorado. It snowed a couple inches while we were there and it was beautiful. There were 3 big bull elk that would sit at the entrance where we were staying. I could get about 15 feet away before they would get startled. I found a donor boat with a 350 I plan on picking up Friday. He only wants 800 and it has a tandem axle trailer so I will be able to sell that and get some of my money back. I will get some pics of our trip posted later today.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Well we had a good thanksgiving and a good trip to Colorado. It snowed a couple inches while we were there and it was beautiful. There were 3 big bull elk that would sit at the entrance where we were staying. I could get about 15 feet away before they would get startled. I found a donor boat with a 350 I plan on picking up Friday. He only wants 800 and it has a tandem axle trailer so I will be able to sell that and get some of my money back. I will get some pics of our trip posted later today.
Welcome back boatnut!
congratz on the donor boat!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Here's a few pics from our vacation. The elk were really neat.

IMG_2381.jpg

Here's one with my fiance while we were sitting at the "glow" parade, all the floats were lit up with Christmas lights. It started snowing after the first float went through.

IMG_2383.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I went and picked up a donor boat Sunday. It's a '77 Ebko and has the 250hp 350 Chevy with MC1 Mercruiser drive. I didn't really get to test it out since it has been so cold but it turns over. Once I get the garage cleaned out I will see if it will fire off.

IMG_2467.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

Can anyone tell what's wrong with this picture??

IMG_2461.jpg

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Wow that thing has the full Coupe Deville interior. Shagadelic 70's!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Lets see. Auto carb and the wrong flame arrestor if that is a flame arrestor. Are the rest of the parts marine or auto, BN? That ought to move the Silverline smartly. Lots of parts on the donor too.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That donor boat is HIDEOUS!

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wonder what kind of power difference it gives? Edelbrock makes good stuff for automotive apps! As for the boat...I could just imagine how wonderful it would feel to sit on that brown seat in this HOT Florida sun on a summer afternoon!:eek: By the way the rest of the motor looks pretty good, so it might not need much but a full tune up! Way to go!!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Wow... chocolate thunder....

One of my lawyer friends was given a boat that looked just like that from a client who offered the boat to settle up on a fee. Because it was of the "smoky and bandit" vintage - he named the boat the "Burt Reynolds" which I always thought was funny...

Glad you got you a donor...

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good to see you got a donor boat . Well for one I am seeing a throttle return spring on the choke side that should not be there, and i am seeing vacuum ports, not suppose to be on marine carbs but I am probably missing the real answer :facepalm:

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Lets see. Auto carb and the wrong flame arrestor if that is a flame arrestor. Are the rest of the parts marine or auto, BN? That ought to move the Silverline smartly. Lots of parts on the donor too.

Yes, it has an automotive carb on it. I guess I didn't pay much attention to the flame arrestor. All the other parts appear to be marine. The PO said it wasn't running the greatest so they put that carb on and it made a huge difference. I will propbably put a Holley on there when the time comes.

That donor boat is HIDEOUS!

But the price was right :D

Wonder what kind of power difference it gives? Edelbrock makes good stuff for automotive apps! As for the boat...I could just imagine how wonderful it would feel to sit on that brown seat in this HOT Florida sun on a summer afternoon!:eek: By the way the rest of the motor looks pretty good, so it might not need much but a full tune up! Way to go!!

The PO said they had a full tune up done last spring so it might not even need that! The motor looks pretty clean considering it's age.

Good to see you got a donor boat . Well for one I am seeing a throttle return spring on the choke side that should not be there, and i am seeing vacuum ports, not suppose to be on marine carbs but I am probably missing the real answer :facepalm:

I'm not sure why they put that throttle return spring there. The only thing I can think of is they were having problems with the choke because they didn't have it wired up. Marine carbs have no vacuum ports and they also have a vent fitting for the fuel pump overflow that the automotive ones don't along with a totally different calibration.