1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Silverline Grand Bahama

hi boatnut.

it looks like a total gut bud.

glad you are going with a merc/alpha set up.......id suggest you look for a doaner boat. patrick just got a winner for cheap. (man vs boat)

in the mean time, i would suggest you try and get the motor started.......it can be sold for money.....and the drive is worth something...?????
you could sell it as a package in the boat. and give the buyer the option of pulling it or you doing it.....

on a side note....the trim tabs are really close together, and not the right ones for that boat....i would suggest you cut them down and move them as far to ward the outside as you can......but that is after the new transom is in.

where to start the project is usually a question answered by the amount of work to do on the boat...

first off....... i would start looking for rot, and foam water logging.........that means......start cutting up the rotten deck, and taking core samples. see how far the rot goes.
hopefully it will not go into the cabin under the lower deck, and the stringers up there.

once the amount of cancer is determined......then you can plan the demolition/ re build.

Last edited by a moderator:

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Ill probably replace the foam to. I'll just keep the old for templates.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the insight oops. I have been tinkering with the motor but it has some electrical problems. I think the starter solenoids are bad. I know I have some rot to deal with. To take the aft deck out I will probably trim up the edges where they come up under the gunnels and pull it straight up. It appears its just tabbed in underneath. I was poking about the transom today and it's rotten around the outdrive hole. Once I start gutting it i will know what I have to work with.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Glad you got her home, BN. What is the beam. She looks big and heavy.

According to original literature it has a 96" beam. Weight is 3500# but I'm not sure if that includes motor. For some reason I remember seeing a weight of 5500# somewhere for this boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

5500 lbs is probably gross or tow weight. I like the bunks. Reminds me when I was growing up sleeping in a bunk bed. ;) Or extended overnight or weekend fishing trips. A floating Motel 6. Keep the light on. :rolleyes:

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

that boat is really unique. looking forward to seeing what you do with her. I agree with oops.. the tabs are weird... move them to the chines.. but I guess that will come after the resto :rolleyes:

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Cool looking boat. Subscription to this thread is a must.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

That's one big tri-hull! In fact the whole boat looks bigger than a 22'. Nice find!

southkogs

Staff member

I would like to keep the stringer to stay original but what's the parts availability gonna be in 10 years? I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it now and have to swap it out later. The transom needs replaced anyway so I figure I'll just take care of it all at once.

Agreed - if you have to anyway, power swap now. You can probably do well with the stringer parts on ebay. Some of them fetch nice prices.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Agreed - if you have to anyway, power swap now. You can probably do well with the stringer parts on ebay. Some of them fetch nice prices.
+1 Your major expense is going to be your power train. From the time you install it it's going to be an ongoing money pit. Only kidding, a well maintained Merc will last you many years. May as well be one you can get parts for. I read a recient thread where a guy named Jas or Jay or something like that repowered a tinney OMC Stringer to a 4.3 Alpha. (please be careful because I have it from good information that even talking to a tinny owner can cause unexplained cuts to your hands and face...something to do with aluminum poisoning):confused:

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

On the gunwale starboard ,right next to the captain seat ...is that a rodholder for a (telescopic) outrigger???
A pair of riggers would look nice on her man,dress her up too!
I am sorry,Im so exited! You have not even started ripping yet! took another good look at your boat and I have to say it again ...nice.
One name came to my mind for some reason, for your boat maybe because she looks so bulky...
WHERESTHEBEEF
be glad to help whenever I can. I mike.
P.s sorry what I said about your crusty bunk matrasses man......lol

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

5500 lbs is probably gross or tow weight. I like the bunks. Reminds me when I was growing up sleeping in a bunk bed. ;) Or extended overnight or weekend fishing trips. A floating Motel 6. Keep the light on. :rolleyes:

Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

That's one big tri-hull! In fact the whole boat looks bigger than a 22'. Nice find!

She is a big boat for sure, She's pretty tall making it look longer than 22'. Sitting on the trailer i think the top of the cabin is around 11'

That's the plan anyway, seeing the price of parts on ebay I can probably sell everything and have enough for a donor boat.

+1 Your major expense is going to be your power train. From the time you install it it's going to be an ongoing money pit. Only kidding, a well maintained Merc will last you many years. May as well be one you can get parts for. I read a recient thread where a guy named Jas or Jay or something like that repowered a tinney OMC Stringer to a 4.3 Alpha. (please be careful because I have it from good information that even talking to a tinny owner can cause unexplained cuts to your hands and face...something to do with aluminum poisoning):confused:

I had a couple tinnys myself this year but fell upon bad luck. Seeing all the glass work I have to do I think I want them back :(

On the gunwale starboard ,right next to the captain seat ...is that a rodholder for a (telescopic) outrigger???
A pair of riggers would look nice on her man,dress her up too

Those are just rod holders, I do have some plans to make it a nice fishing boat though.

One name came to my mind for some reason, for your boat maybe because she looks so bulky...
WHERESTHEBEEF

That's funny, The fiance already picked out a name, AUNT JENNY, from forest gump ya know.

P.s sorry what I said about your crusty bunk matrasses man......lol

No problem bud. (you are correct :D)

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey BN,
Just wanted to pop in and say congrats. That is a huge boat (to me). I am so envious of your cabin. Take a look at my thread when you get a chance and look at how small my bathroom is ending up. It will make you appreciate your big boat even more
Good luck I will be watching you also.
Dave
I also like the bunks.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Dave, I have actually been watching your thread for quite awhile now.

Today I got the rubber boot pulled off the back, found some mulch in the transom for my flower bed! I couldn't believe how thick the transom skin is, it's about 7/16 thick. Then it has a piece of 1/2 ply, then a thinner skin, then another piece of 1/2 ply. I think to get the thickness i need I will have to laminate a piece of 1/2 and 3/4 together. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get the motor mounts unbolted and get the engine ready to pull and try to get the two 26 gallon fuel tanks out. I have alot of disassembly in my future but I don't think it will be to terrible.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

While I'm thinking about it there's something that's been bothering me. I'm pretty sure I will have to replace the stringers. My concern is the hull deforming when I take them out. Could I just replace one at a time (if I have access to do so) to help prevent this? I know I'm a long way from this step but i still think about it alot!

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

As your boat is heavy,I would certainly consider reinforcing the hull to prevent it from sagging in when you start removing stringers ..
Check out threads involving cradles ...it should give you a good idea.
Replacing them one at a time? mmmm I dunno,Youd still have to reinforce though...

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I've looked at making a cradle but am unsure due to the size of the boat. Hopefully I will be lucky and the stringers will be good but I'm not counting on it. It has roller bunks and keel rollers but I don't know if that would be enough support. I'll go out and snap some pics so you have a better idea of what I have to work with.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Here's the pics of my bunks and keel rollers. The bunks need raised up as they don't contact the boat but I'm gonna try to take care of that before we leave for Colorado next weekend.

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

$h.# Just erased my reply to you...
here we go again...
Hold it....,Thats the exact way I had my hull raised when replacing the stringers,Of coarse my boat is lighter then yours but you might get away with this set up..your bunks are not pushing in your hull and you have got your keel supported as well as the outer sides of your hull ....how about underneath transom? suported ? I believe your hull being having thick skin,Not having much flex in it.
To be absolutely safe you could consider building a simple cradle..
Transom rot you said? Be almost 100% prepared for stringer rot....Nothing that cant be fixed though...
When you gonna start ripping?
i mike