1970 kay hydroplane restoration with pictures..

i386

Captain
Re: 1970 kay hydroplane restoration with pictures..

I sanded/ground off anything that was lumpy or brittle. Lumpy causes air bubbles when you glass over it. You want to be rid of the brittle old resin blobs/puddles because you want your new glass sticking to something solid.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yuppers^^^^^^^^^^

grind off anything that doesnt look anything like boat....you want a smooth...(as you can get) surface to glass to

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

24 grit resin back pads? I started doing the rest with those and they seemed to work ok. I was just using a screw driver and going down the middle taping it along with the BFH and its actually working great at getting that wood out!

OOP'S I sent them pm's, Thanks for all the help everyone its made this WAY easer than I thought it would be!!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Thanks for fixin' the pictures,... ;)

I think, after reading,+ seein' your pictures, That somebodyelse has been down this road, on this hull before....

Alot of it doesn't exactly look "Factory",..
Like the plywood lain flat,+ thru-bolted to the bottom of the hull..
Now, maybe that hull needs some panels there for reinforcement, But I know they shouldn't be Thru-bolted...
That'll all have to be dug out,... I'd probably go back with fresh glass,+ something other than plywood...
Or maybe just Thinner wood,.. That almost looks like 5/8" or 3/4"...

When you rejoin the hull pieces, upper,+ the hull,... I'd glue it back together....
It forms a Much Stronger hull than Just the pop-rivets....

Oh,... And the String Lines,...
Mason's string can be strung wherever you need a straight line for measuring,+ reference points....
Boats,.. All boats are Neither Plumb, nor Square...
All you can do is whatever you can to get as Close to plumb,+ square as possible...
String Lines are the tool to get you there...

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

every thing was 1/2" the transom was 3 layers stapled together. The bolted on bottom pieces were only 1/2" one layer. Now that you mention it this could be the second time this has been done. under the washers on the bolts on th under side of the hull was the light blue paint. I plan to fill the holes from the bolts and get that nice and smooth, just glass down some strips of wood and stringers. Im thinking there maybe some better placement I can do for the wood to loose some weight.

Bondo

Staff member

Im thinking there maybe some better placement I can do for the wood to loose some weight.

Ayuh,.... Exactly.....;)

Alot of Strength can be created by building Structures(aka. Angles) in it,...

A piece of 1/4" plywood, or even Cardboard, stood on edge,+ Glassed into that shape will create Alot of strength in the panel it's glassed to....

Fiberglass is Wonderful stuff,...

Oops,+ Ondarvr will tell you What you need,+ How to use it....;)

While Polyester is almost Fool-proof,... Epoxy is almost Impossible to screw up,..
That's right up My alley,... I don't mind Blowing the cash for the better Glue...

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im hoping to drop 50+ lbs getting rid of rot and better wood placement and add some strangth. Im about to do some more cutting the wood out of the middle. I need a hole in the resperator for my smoke, its cold out side and I hate taking a smoke break! Maybe a small hole and a plug, I'll only be able to smoke half but it willl keep me at it. Dusting off and going out the back door takes up time I could be grinding away.. Well I still need to figure out how to get the pics to work right.. I do like things to be PERFECT like the guitar I put together took me 6 hours to adjust; I'll have to spend 4x on getting this hull trimed up perfect to lay stringers in.. But hey I got 5-6 mos, that should be enough time... maybe

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey.......hey.......hey......where are ya?

if you glued your fingers to the boat, ya'd better learn to type with your nose !

hows it goin over there hydro?

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I didn't glue my self to the boat YET.. Im going to b ordering the 1708 next week. I can get elmers fiberglass resin at lowes will that do? I want to do the transom and middle stringer then pull the last two stringers and do the grinding in the sponsons. Will that be ok, it will help keep the shape of the hull? Well here are some pics I took today.

1101081613-1.jpg

1101081612-1.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it looks really really good.......

the stuff at the dept stores is waxed resin.....and its really expencive....see if you can fing a supplier by where you live and get a five gallon bucket for $110 bucks......while you are waiting for the glass you can cut and shape the center stringer.

cheers
oops

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a quick up date. I am ready to put the transom and middle stringer in it's all ground down and the middle is all the way to the original glass. I cut the transom wood but still need to do some fine tunning to get a nice tight fit. Waiting on glass and my truck needed a new everything so Iv'e been busy with that and now I have to do a intake gasket on it:mad:

Should I add drains in the sponsons? Im thinking that it would be a good idea and easy to do, thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member

I cut the transom wood but still need to do some fine tunning to get a nice tight fit.

Ayuh,....

Tight fit is Good,... Just not Too tight....
You need some of the Voids for the Glue you'll be using....
Should I add drains in the sponsons?

Ayuh,...

Everything needs to be either Drained, or Pumpable......

Standing Water is the Enemy,..... That's what Rots boats,+ turns foam into a Sponge,...
If you're going to use foam anyways....:rolleyes:

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im going to use lots of foam, fill the sponsons in again and add some by the transom. So I will do the drain plugs on both sponsons, there is no other way for the water to drain or be pumped.

The transom wood just needs to be angled along the bottom and top and the top needs to be trimmed to fit the cap better.

mthieme

Captain

Pictures !!! (please)
I've already fallen in love with that boat.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you can use peanut butter to fill any gaps around the edgs of the transom ....

so you must be getting good with the grinder now eh hydro?

i think you are finding out how easy it really is to do this

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As requested here are some pictures.

This is where the crack is, if I push down you can see it open up.. The hull is about 1/8th inch thick now.
1116081615.jpg

Here is the rough cut transom wood, I need to trim the top to fit the cap.
1116081616a.jpg

This is the center ground down.
1116081616.jpg

The transom area grinded down. I cut 6" up on the two stringers that are left so I could get it ready for the transom.
1116081617a.jpg

Finally got the motor short shafted!! Also ended up with a 1958 35hp johnson motor -the lower unit or it can be a long shaft.
1116081618.jpg

mthieme

Captain

The second pic showing the crack...do you plan to lay some mat over that puppy...build it up a little? or do something more drastic / extensive?

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why did the pictures come out all different sizes? I resized them all to 60% before I uploaded them into photobucket? Maybe the auto setting on my phone?

mthieme

Captain

No, no...pics are fine.
I was just curious about what you are going to do with the crack.

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was going to put a layer of 1708 down first then fit the middle stringer and use one more layer of 1708 over top the stringer. Will that work? Its sitting on saw horses that are level and 2/6"s that are 5' long screwed to the saw horses with one more in the front. It keeps it real sturdy.