1970 kay hydroplane restoration with pictures..

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, just as everyone said the seam was obvious as soon as I took the rub rail off. Do I just use a screw driver or puddy knife and wedge it in the seam? And whats my plan for putting it back on?

83ProLine

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Rub rail off, how do I get the seam apart?

There should be a layer of silicon between the top edge of the hull and the underside of the cap edge - just pry it away from the hull.

Make sure you have gotten all the screws out though. . .

zach103

Commander

we used a screw driver. and the pry part of a hammer.. taking our time obviously. found a couple rivets hiding . but it came off fine using that method.. oh. we started from the middle of the transom to the corner and stuck a board inbetween so that it wouldnt drop back down

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It seams to be comming off just by pushing a screw driver and working it loose. Im taking the inside apart so I can see whats going on on the other side.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yup.....make sure all the rivets are out.........stick a kinfe between the joint......cut all the way around......and lift !

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Am I doing something wrong? I have been beating a puddy knife and screw drivers into this seam and Im really not getting very far at all! The seam by the transom is a real joke, they don't overlap and the transom wood doesn't go all the way across the back and the top of the transom wasn't sealed at all. The seam is epoxied together and there is glass covering the inside thats tearing away from the cap or i have to stick a screw driver through it and try to tear it apart. I have some time tonight to work on it because I did all my home work today and don't have class till 6p.m. tomarrow nite. Any ideas would be great! I don't want to mess up the seam and wreck the boat.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

can you post lighter pics....those are really dark on my screen....

im shocked that there is a peice of glass on the inside......thats uasually done only in a flange joint......

if you have glass behind it....you will have to cut the glass.....(no big deal)

get an area up enough that you can get a keyhole saw or other...(sawzall) in between the joint....are you sure you have all the rivets out?

i386

Captain

Yup, at the stern of my boat they peanut buttered the whole arse end of the cap to the transom skin. I ended up cutting the stern end of my cap completely off and then popping it out with a car jack. What I found out after the fact was that if I'd worked with it a little more I could have gotten it out in one piece.

The good news is there ain't much in fiberglass that can't be fixed.:) If you do have to cut something, think ahead about how you will rejoin it. If possible you want to make the bulk of your repair on the back side and on a flat piece. That way you can reinforce it as much as you want and there won't be so much grinding to do on the finished side to hide your repair.

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

peanut butter, yeah thats what it looks like and it has fiber in it. some parts i think its splitting the cap cause i can see the knife bubble in the paint. im about half way through but by the transom is a real pain! Im sure all the rivets are out, i drilled the heads off and was able to use a small screw driver and tap them through and i went around it three or more times. I will push it out side tomarrow during the day and get a carp load of pics of everything and post them in the early afternoon. the ones here now are at nite and its real hard to see any thing, sorry.. wait till you see the craftsmanship on this transom its classic!!

O and fiberglass in the eye isn't fun ;) where are my glasses???

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Progress!! Its comming off! I knew I left the mooring cleats on the back for a reason. I hooked a rope to them and the chain fall and lifted, pried and its starting to come off slowly. Maybe the daytime pics will be of it off, maybe.. the shape of the transom/back of boat is making it hard to seperate.

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok here are some day time pics. I found that the toung on the trailer is alot heaver with the motor off, so I tried to lift it higher and balance the weight but forgot that the wench was unhooked and almost slid the boat off the trailer.
this is the problem, i cant get the middle of the transom seperated.
1009081433a.jpg

this is the back corner and about half way up while i lift.
1009081429.jpg

circular saw came to mind. im just cutting the transom wood and im going to dig it out of the hull and cap when there apart. the 2 1/2 feet of glass i cut out shouldn't be too hard to fix?
1009081430.jpg

this is where the seam didn't overlap in the back.
1009081428a.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this is frustrating....i wish i was there to help.....

i cant see where it is joined....it looks like the inner splash well was glassed to the trsnaom....that is weird......

but if its glassed to the transom....cut where you can......it can all be fixed.

you will de redoing the transom any how.....

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Everything is glassed in pretty much. Im going to just cut the transom so i can get the cap off and start digging the wood out. Its not that rotted so Its not cutting very easy. the glass i cut off is thin and i only about 10" off the top its just a skin over the wood. I can take any pictures you need just tell me what angle. Iv'e been using a cordless saw so it keeps going dead but im going to have one with a cord tonight and 9/10 its comming off when i get out of class at 9:40p.m after 3.5 hours of doing math im gonna need a stress relief!

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this one is for you OOPS!! the cap is off!
1010080026.jpg

here is some more..
1009082349a.jpg

1009082348b.jpg

1009082347c.jpg

1009082347a.jpg

1009082349a.jpg

i386

Captain

Good for you!:) Now the fun starts.

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So now what? Im going to do some cleaning and get all the carp out of the boat and garage. Also going to get the cap out of the yard and put it on some saw horses in the shed. If I still have time I'll work on some of the old transom wood, but I have a great mess to take care of.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hey Hydro,
Check out my GW Invader link below, I went through the same thing with that one and used the bow cleat to pop that one off. Mine had the added PITA of having been glassed together along the inner part of the seam...
Having fun yet?
- Scott

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep Iv'e see the GW a few times and Im doing almost the same thing to this one. I have to wait for the wood to dry and Im just taking my time. Hope to have it ready for next summer. Im not sure how well the wood in the hull is going to come out or how much needs to come out, its really not rotted at all that I can tell. The wood has about 30 bolts/screws that hold it all together, I want to get rid of those and just glass everything down. My transom is going to end up just like your GW's I hope, same thing though the original was the same as yours.
well any advise is always greatly appreciated!!
~Erik~

I think the fun has just started!!!!

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The transom wood is really in there! I think im going to hook it to the chain and lift it some then stand in the back of the hull to see if it will come loose.
1010081649.jpg

This is something that needs to be fixed.
1010081539b.jpg

1010081540.jpg

All the junk removed.
1010081539a.jpg

I knew I had a spare spark plug and some pliers in there some where!!
1010081539.jpg

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1970 kay hydroplane restoration with pictures..

Ok, I got all the old transom wood out. The top actually came out real easy! I just split the three layers and pulled them out one at a time. This may be a first for you to hear, the three 1/2" layers were stapled together and thats all from what I can tell? Here are some pictures of it now.
1013081250.jpg

1013081249.jpg

1013081249a.jpg

Ok my next problem... this centrer peice of wood thats comming up.
1010081539b.jpg

I think it goes down about 2" towards the other end at the middle of the boat and its still solid at that part. I think its all filled down in this part that you can see in this bottom picture.
phone038.jpg

Should I try to cut along the edges and try to dig it out or cut to stringer at a angle as far up as I can remove and see if its rotted up there?
How do I get the transom area cleaned out and ready for the new one? the old one was only 26" in the middle and im going the full width and the glass is thicker at the edges? Mostly just the hull the cap looks pretty easy to get ready for the new one.