1965 Unknown Wooden Runabout Rebuild Advice

Hobbes_24

Cadet
Hey All..

First off let me state this is my first rebuild and I am looking for advice on restoring the dry/wet rotted wood.

i have obtained a wooden runabout that i was told was a 1965. There is no plate on the transom or any identification at all except for the license numbers on the hull I have emailed a few classic boat sites to find out what she is. but no luck.. So i have decided not to restore it, just rebuild it to the way i would like.

She has a thin ply sheeting with a shell of fiberglass on the outside. The wood is soft and has both dry and wet rot through out. The history i have on it is that it was left out with no cover in a Wisconsin winter and had over 16 inches of ice in her when trailered to Southern Ontario. Since then The previous owner who has trailered it here just for the 60hp gale outboard (which i have found a replacement) had lifted it off its tilt trailer to sell it separately (which i also replaced) with a forklift and has punctured the fiberglass on the hull. I have Pictures of her before the winter damage and i have pictures of the process of gutting her. The floors were so rotted it took no effort to remove them. The actual place where the motor mounts on is good solid wood but the transom, what seems to be a few sheets of plywood that are bolted together, Is all rotted and needs to be replaced and i was wondering what is the best way to do this..

Basically i think it is removing the entire back of the boat and making a new transom and re-fiberglassing the outside. Is this a bad idea?

As for the thin ply hull that has dry and wet rot. I have come across some CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) it is the consistency of diesel fuel and should be applied to the rotted wood untill it no longer absorbs into the wood. This is supposed to bring the strength of the wood back. I only found it at a select few places and its about 200 dollars plus shipping for 2-3 gallons. Has anyone heard of this or tried it?

I await the responses and greatly appreciate any help i can get.

The pictures i have uploaded are from before the winter damage in hopes someone can identify it. I can up load pics of the rot damage but it only let me do 5 pics.

Attachments

• before damage.jpg
    before damage.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0
  • before damage2.jpg
    before damage2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
  • before damage3.jpg
    before damage3.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 0
  • before damage4.jpg
    before damage4.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
  • before damage5.jpg
    before damage5.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0

Hobbes_24

Cadet
Re: 1965 Unknown Wooden Runabout Rebuild Advice

rot damage pics. I have more close ups but they are on a different computer.

thanks again for any and all advice.

Attachments

• IS24.jpg
    IS24.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IS25.jpg
    IS25.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
  • in shop 9.jpg
    in shop 9.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
  • recent2.jpg
    recent2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
  • recent3.jpg
    recent3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0

a70eliminator

Captain

Sorry I don't have your answer, something along the lines of homemade?
If it's an Lyman or other classic then wow what a neat project, but if homemade then unless it was made by Abe Lincoln I wouldn't waste the time.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

for the transom you want to leave the outer layer of fibreglass intact, it is very hard to make it match of again and look right if you cut it out. Do the transom from the inside, and then reattach wood to the fibreglass shell.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

It has the look of a 1950's build-it-yourself plan boat. Because no boat manufacturer (that I have come across) by 1965 was making windshields like that, or making plywood boats with fiberglass coating. That construction method is typical of a home built boat.

You might want to look at old Popular Science magazines, they often had boat plans.

I doubt the boat has much value, even if restored to a usable condition. And being that the boat is really a wood boat with a fiberglass layer for water proofing, I'm fairly sure that much of the wood is rotted, and much of the plywood has started to de-laminate, making it rather unsound.

Traditional wood boats are built with wood planking on frames. If a few planks are rotten, they are replaced, same with the frames. But this boat is built from plywood over frames, so if the plywood is bad, the entire side of the hull has to be replaced. The boat will probably fall apart. Then the new section has to be glassed in. It might be easier to build a new boat.

There are lots of free boat plans to build a boat similar to this one. Check out these old plans from the "Boat Builders Handbook": http://www.svensons.com/boat/

And here is a guy who actually built the Sea Babe and documented it on the web:

http://www.gallicantu.biz/boat/

So, if you really want to recondition or restore this boat, be aware that it is probably going to be a long, long effort. In fact, I might guess it would be better to just build a new one.

There are lots of 1960's boats out there with fiberglass hulls and wood decks that would be much easier and quicker to restore to get on the water.

Just my opinion. Keep posting!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Dude...that's one very sad case of neglect and ruin. Unless you want to spend lots of time and $$$, I'd pass. Looks like most of the structural wood is beyond repair...lots of delamination and rot seen in your photos. Now if you have time, wood skills and $$$, who's to say "don't do it." If you decide to proceed, definitely post pics to document your work. Sweet looking boat. Too bad the PO's neglected her.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Garden art.

Hobbes_24

Cadet

thanks for all the info.. I have been sittting on this boat for about 3 months now and from what you tell me i think it is better possibly a better idea to find another project or like Mark42 said possibly buiild a new one.. The fiberglass looks like it has been repaired a few times so i Have cut the outter layer of fiberglass on the transom out of curiosity and the fiberglass came off really easily and in huge chunks. so it is all probably the same.

I am not out too much money tho i only paid 100 bucks for the boat. and 275 for the trailer. A little tlc and paint on the tilt trailer and i can resell it to regain my spent money back.

BUT untill all the snow dissapears i may just pluck around on it to see what i can do.

Thanks

projecthog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with the other guys here,
You're getting good and thoughtful advice on that boat.

Mark42's thought on the Popular Mechanics thing is what popped into my mind too as soon as I saw the first pics. (Good memories there.)
Everything looks home built, not like factory type construction.

That must have been one heck of a Wisconsin winter that made it look like that in one season.
I don't think I would be far off If I said that it looks like maybe about 2 or 3 winters or more. That ply has totally given up its bond. Plywood which likely had a resin type bond holding it together. IMO it would take a while to get that bad.

It does look pretty cool in the older pics though, it has that distinct 60's look to it, it could have been a good conversation piece.
I think though, just like the others, that you would be better off to bite the bullet and get something in a little better shape to rebuild if that's what you want to experience.

That trailer is worth more than a $100 if you are going to look for another boat that size!
Trailerless boats are a dime a dozen, lousy boats with trailers rise in price pretty quick.
There is all kinds of them out and around Southern Ontario, That's where most of my boats come from.
London, St. Thomas and Chatham county roads have a lot to offer just from a Saturday afternoon drive through the country.

Take care,
PH.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

thanks for all the info.. I have been sittting on this boat for about 3 months now and from what you tell me i think it is better possibly a better idea to find another project or like Mark42 said possibly buiild a new one..

BUT untill all the snow dissapears i may just pluck around on it to see what i can do.

Thanks

Strip the boat of all hardware, hinges, chocks, transom/bow eyes, etc. Put it all in a box. Some of that stuff is very hard to find exact replacements for. Especially the Mooring Bit (I think that's what it is) on the bow.

Use the trailer to tow the remains to the land fill. KEEP THE TRAILER!!!!!

Now, during the rest of the winter, do some reading about easy to build runabouts that don't need frames. There is a method called "stitch and glue" that is used on canoes and small boats that makes building boats quick and inexpensive compared to traditional wood boat building. If you can put shelves in a closet, you can do stitch and glue. Not all the boats in the following websites are stitch and glue, but most of the runabouts are. And you can customize a plan. If the center console looks buildable to you, but you want a closed bow and windshield, well then build it that way.

Check these sites out:

C17_350.jpg

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=C17

http://www.hartley-boats.com/flare15.html

http://www.devlinboat.com/stitchandglue.htm

http://www.clarkcraft.com/index.php3?*******=163e43364d59b54d40e953174debac80

http://www.glen-l.com/

And for the advanced builder who wants a little more boat.....

http://www.pelinplans.co.nz/cabinboats.htm

Even if you decide not to build, you will at least get a good understanding of home built boat construction.

Enjoy!

Mark.

Hobbes_24

Cadet

The P/O has already stripped her of everything except a fuel guage and the streeing wheel. Cut the steering cables and removed everything of value. the Only thing i have that i was going to reuse is the steering wheel lol.

For the moment i think i will finish my aluminum boat and wait till spring to do anything with the wood..

And as for my 14' aluminum i want to put a casting deck on the back and i wanted to know if anyone has some input that'd be great. Ill start another thread for my aluminum rebuild. Once i get a chance.

I have a casting deck on the bow with 2 storage compartments built in. The interior paint is Just fresh as of last week. Jan 26th 09. I want to build a rear deck with 2 hinged doors to access my fuel tank and my trollling motor batteries. Any input? I'm thinking of using wood to frame it and plywood and indoor/outdoor carpeting for the deck. What is a good hande to use on the Doors?

-Chris