DT30 Runs Backwards !!!

ida71

Cadet
Hi All,<br /><br />I'm helping a friend get a DT30 (circa 198?, silver paint scheme) running again after a couple of years sitting idle on a transom, immersed in fresh water.<br /><br />The prop had seized to the leg & so we got a replacement leg & got it ready to run. Cleaned the carbs, checked the fuel system etc & fitted a new CDI unit. It was a pig to start & seemed to kick back hard when it did, then settled down to nice even idle.<br /><br />First thing I noticed was no cooling water, but I had tested the cooling system & cleared the blockage in the tell tail port. We fitted a new impeller when we did the leg. Water comes out OK while the engine is cranking. Tried it in gear & it appeared to run the WRONG way, i.e. reverse gave forward drive & forward did nothing !?<br /><br />Stopped it & isolated the ignition & checked it manually by turning the prop, everything turned the right way. After another long wait for it to start, I checked the fly wheel & it is running the WRONG way, it should go clockwise when looked at from above, but is running anti-clockwise. I checked the starter & it is cranking the engine clockwise.<br /><br />I used to be a car & motorcycle mechanic & so my best guess is that the timing is advanced so far that the piston is being driven in reverse. I don't have a workshop manual & it will take 2 weeks to get one here in the UK. Can anyone tell me how to set the timing on these engines & what the timing is supposed to be ?, or how it could be advanced so far ?<br /><br />I have noticed a collar under the flywheel that is attached to the throttle linkage, I assume this a is a crude ignition advancer, as it moves when the throttle is advanced. These parts have not been moved since the engine was last used. Could something have slipped inside ? I assume that it is much like a motorcycle & has a fixed ignition pickup, but I could be wrong.<br /><br />Any help would be much appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Chris W.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: DT30 Runs Backwards !!!

The DF series would be a 4-stroke starting in 2000, but I'm guessing this is a 2-stroke which would actually be a DT30 which is a 3 cylinder. A 4-stroke wouldn't crank up backwards I don't think cause of the valve timing. My guess, particularly since you had the ignition apart is that you have the spark plug wires crossed or the wiring leading into the coils crossed and the cylinders are firing at the wrong times. Get a manual and check the firing order and wiring diagram.

ida71

Cadet

JimD, you are correct, sorry it is a DT30 2- stroke, twin cylinder. I have ordered a manual, but like I said it will take 2 weeks, as no one has them in stock :(

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> Chris, why did you have to replace the CDI? I suspect the replacement CDI is defective. the collar you are refering to is a cdi trigger coil. the circuitry in the CDI is supposed to eliminate ign if the pulses are backward thus preventing ign with reverse rotation. now you know that 2 strokes run just as well one way as they do the other :) :) .but that is a whole new topic. Try to find the original back and check your wiring very close. this is the first suzuki I ever heard that did this but not the first outboard. and after you have it running ok recheck your impeller, the reverse running may have damaged or misshapen it.<br /> good luck and keep posting

ida71

Cadet

>Chris, why did you have to replace the CDI? <br />The owner (Dave) had already replaced it, because the engine would not start & he could not get a spark at the plugs. When he traced the wiring, he discovered that his father-in-law (orginal owner) had connected the battery in reverse & when he corrected this, the CDI still failed to produce a spark. He did all this before he asked me to help.<br />We do have the original owners manual with wiring diagram, but it does not cover the timing.<br /><br />>I suspect the replacement CDI is defective.<br />The replacement is second hand, but appears to function fine. It gives a nice healthy spark & I have tried crossing the spark leads over & it won't start at all that way.<br /><br />> The collar you are refering to is a cdi trigger coil. the circuitry in the CDI is supposed to eliminate ign if the pulses are backward thus <br />> preventing ign with reverse rotation.<br />I guess something here is not right, or out of place etc, is there anything under the flywheel other than the magneto & that CDI Pick up ?<br /><br />> Now you know that 2 strokes run just as well one way as they do the other.<br />Well I have heard stories in the past, but have never seen one do it.<br /><br />> Try to find the original back and check your wiring very close.<br />I have checked the wiring & the CDI & it is all correct.<br /><br />> After you have it running ok recheck your impeller, the reverse running may have damaged or misshapen it.<br />I will check it once we get it running properly.<br /><br />Thanks for the helpful reply.