1965 Duratech Comanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASub

Seaman Apprentice
Watermann, I see quite a few similarities in our projects. Should I take the cuddie top off the boat as you did? Makes life easier, or a waste of time?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I tear everything down to bare. I would remove the cabin.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I'm a little concerned that someone put some sort of non-aluminum-compatible bottom paint on that thing at one time :embarassed:

At minimum, since the paint's pretty well trashed, you're going to need to strip/sand that thing the whole way down.

Are those dark spots holes? or are they some sort of fasteners protruding through the hull?

ASub

Seaman Apprentice
The dark spots in the second photo are holes for sure. The large dark spot in the third photo - beats the hell out of me. Plan at this point is as Watermann suggested - take the top off, tear out the transom and start stripping paint. Bare aluminum. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed that this thing is salvageable.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looks like your kicking some..... Looks great. I'm not a tinney and so I know alot of guys here are and will chime in shortly. Keep asking and posting. You'll be doing the repairs yourself with all the good feedback.
KC

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would be thumping the hull with a hammer myself to make sure I have enough metal to work with.

Since he has access to both sides of the hull I don't think it's necessary to beat on the hull with a hammer to determine it's condition.

If the hull has some areas that have suffered corrosion and pitting is what's showing through on the outside then there are some effective ways to repair those areas.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm NOT a Tin Boat Guru, but I have learned a few things on this forum. As long as you have a reasonable amount of good solid aluminum in the vicinity of the holes you can Patch it with 3M 5200 sealant and a riveted patch.

aluminum-patches-2980062.jpg

ASub

Seaman Apprentice
Looks like your kicking some..... Looks great. I'm not a tinney and so I know alot of guys here are and will chime in shortly. Keep asking and posting. You'll be doing the repairs yourself with all the good feedback.
KC
Thanks. That's what I'm hoping for.

ASub

Seaman Apprentice
Watermann - transom is shot, rotted wood. I will try to get some photos.

Thanks again to all those who are following along.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not familiar enough w how your trans was done to help much.

Some models of LoneStar seem to have had the entire boat built around the transom wood. The Starcrafts (like Watermanns 2) seem to have been built around the dash wood. Its near impossible to get out too.

Post some pix, close up and general area of the transom.

May need to remove a little or a lot to get the transom wood out

harleyman1975

Ensign
Since he has access to both sides of the hull I don't think it's necessary to beat on the hull with a hammer to determine it's condition.

If the hull has some areas that have suffered corrosion and pitting is what's showing through on the outside then there are some effective ways to repair those areas.

I'm just concerned that it has the strength that it had when new. He is planning on using in the great lakes. Cannot imagine having it break up in rough water because it was no thicker than aluminum foil. not talking beating it to death but tapping and listening for consistency in the "doing"

ASub

Seaman Apprentice

Here is the general area. There is a well in front of the transom, as you can see. That well is screwed to the gunwale covers that run toward the bow.

The seam where the well meets the gunwale, the well side has a fold in the AL - that is where it is screwed together.

Lower transom. Rotted wood

Top - coming off. Glass is toast. May try sending them to UPD Plastics in Davie, FL. for replacements. Anyone ever quoted with them? I would be interesting to see what they would charge for new plexi. Who knows, they may clean up, at least they are all there!

Hopefully back at it this weekend. Anyone see anything crazy? Thanks for looking!

ASub

Seaman Apprentice
By the way, in the top photo of my previous post you can see the steel hoop that is mounted to the outside of the transom. Does anyone know what that is? I was thinking that maybe it was for water skiing because there is a loop on it. PO had a bunch of old water skiing handles and line. That or maybe I was thinking some sort of engine hoist? It extends down past the top brim of the transom quite a bit. See photos.

This is a photo from where I took it out of.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I dont know what that hoop is for but it needs to come off. It appears to be steel and rusted. There are rust stains running down the inside and outside of the transom.

Steel causes galvanic corrosion on tin boats.

Cant get that off soon enough.

A previous owner definitely added it. So who knows what it was for.....

ASub

Seaman Apprentice
jbcurt00. Thanks for the good info. Hoop is off. Hoping to get some pressure washing done tomorrow and Friday just to clean it up a bit. Snow flies this weekend I hear. I will post some pics after it gets a bath.

ASub

Seaman Apprentice
Got this thing shot with the washer early yesterday morning. A little cold, but it was definitely worth it.

I got most of the fuzz knocked off of the upper hull, the lower portion below the spray rails is going to be a joy. I was encouraged when I moved up to the plexi and started shooting that. I think it cleaned up okay. I wanted to clean the bulk of the nasty off before I start tearing it apart. Keeps the mess down in the shop. Going to try to take advantage of the weather this afternoon and do inside the hull. I suppose I will find a hill to park on so the water drains, should be fun!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Well that looks a damn sight better! I think that plexi may polish out. Such a cool boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.