1965 Crosby Sea Sled restoration (present for wife, need advice, with VIDEO)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 Crosby Sea Sled restoration (present for wife, need advice, with VIDEO)

Use wet/dry 80 grit. Gelcoat is lots tougher than the paint so it will be fine I'd use a long board for the sanding...
longBoard.jpg

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1965 Crosby Sea Sled restoration (present for wife, need advice, with VIDEO)

Glf:
Glad you got to splash the boat on a little test spin.
It is very wierd seeing and reading about landmarks I recognize on iboats...gateway tire on lakeland, etc..

Yeah, it's not a boat restore project until u have sanded yourself into an acute case of tendinitis....invest in a handheld power sander...for the price, it's a no-brainier....

Can't help u much on the crappie fishing...but, check out ms-sportsman.com and clarion ledger outdoors for RBR fishing reports...

But..first things first (let's get this fishing rig ready)!

goodluckfox

Cadet

I agree. Five minutes spent with that sanding block convinced me that Power Tools is the way to go. :) AutoZone sells six inch disks in the various ranges I need, as well as a sander/polisher for for 90 bucks. But I see Harbor Freight sells another size, Grainger has other sizes... I'm worried about not being able to get the right disks.

What specific tools and supplies have other people used with good results? Feel free to post links if it's for sale online. :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Painting over a rotten core... now there's something I've never thought of.

goodluckfox

Cadet

Who's talking about painting? Don't I have to sand to find holes and patches? :) I'll take my core samples, I promise. :)

Also, what do I use to fill the drill hole with?

goodluckfox

Cadet

Think POSITIVE! :) Every once in a while, a person gets lucky. I'll drill two 1/4 inch holes a half inch above the deck six inches to either side of the deck drain in the transom when I get home from work today. (feel free to suggest other/different locations) Will post video of the results. :)

goodluckfox

Cadet

Ok, I drilled the holes.I don't know how to interpret the findings.

P1290282.jpg

P1290283.jpg

P1290284.jpg

P1290281.jpg

11:58PM, but I still managed to get it done today after I got home like I said I would. :)

goodluckfox

Cadet

A little help, good people? Anybody got any interpretations, now that I've drilled holes in my otherwise functional boat?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

GLF,

As I said before, don't let JNG scare you.
Based on your Core sample's I'd say your Transom is FINE!!!
Looks like the PO did a good job caring for the boat. Have you done a inch by inch inspection of the Floor/Deck of the boat? If you really go over it all and find NO soft spots then, I'd say you're good to go on to the Detail Work. You MIGHT want to drill a 4" hole in the deck to see if you can determine if you have floatation foam and if it's Dry. Don't Have to but you could. If you have it and it's dry, patching the hole is an easy task. Does the underside of the hull have any serious gouges or issues? If you're going to sand with a R/O sander I'd recommend starting with 80 grit dry and see what happens. Gelcoat is thick and tough so as long as you don't get to aggressive the paint should come off pretty good.

Keep thinking positive.

goodluckfox

Cadet

GLF,

As I said before, don't let JNG scare you.
Based on your Core sample's I'd say your Transom is FINE!!!
Looks like the PO did a good job caring for the boat. Have you done a inch by inch inspection of the Floor/Deck of the boat? If you really go over it all and find NO soft spots then, I'd say you're good to go on to the Detail Work. You MIGHT want to drill a 4" hole in the deck to see if you can determine if you have floatation foam and if it's Dry. Don't Have to but you could. If you have it and it's dry, patching the hole is an easy task. Does the underside of the hull have any serious gouges or issues? If you're going to sand with a R/O sander I'd recommend starting with 80 grit dry and see what happens. Gelcoat is thick and tough so as long as you don't get to aggressive the paint should come off pretty good.

Keep thinking positive.

I scare easy when I'm out of my areas of expertise, and I know to put a lot of weight to the advice given by the old hands. Even if it conflicts sometimes. :)

Um, how soft is "soft?" There's carpet all over the place, so that muddies the waters somewhat. I suppose I could build a contraption that could measure how far down a probe goes into the floor. But I don't know what is normal flex and what is rotten. I can say that no single part of the deck feels particularly softer/flexier than any other part of the deck.

4 inch hole saw dead in the center in front of that seat amidships. That will let me inspect the bilge and the foam in the center of the three hull sections.

goodluckfox

Cadet

Lowes does not have the 3M 5200 marine adhesive. Not in stock. I'm going to try this liquid nails silicone adhesive and see if that works. They want $20 for a four-inch holesaw plus another $10 for the part you need it actually hooks the holesaw to the drill. I'm going to go to Harbor freight this weekend.

jbcurt00

Staff member

A polyurethane based adhesive caulk may be a better alternative Liquid Nails does make a version. but I personally prefer a different brand I think it has a mostly red grey packaging possibly with a blue band I think it's Loctite 4 other purposes but for marinei couldn't guess but it's really good adhesive caulk. Maybe more like 3m 4200

goodluckfox

Cadet

I've read other threads on this forum about 3M 4200 and 5200. If they had either, I'd get it.

Turns out, somehow, that when I drilled, it didn't go all the way through the transome. It doesn't look that thick. I would have sworn that the drill bit would be plenty to go through the transom and out the other side, but there was nothing on the other side. So it turned out to be a moot point. I filled the holes with silicone anyway just to be on the safe side.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I meant that the Loctite poly caulk was more like 4200(extremely durable) then 5200(permanent)....

You didn't want the drill holes to go THRU to the outside.... The holes were only supposed to be from the inside thru 75% of the total thickness. So you did it right when you drilled..... Sometimes it's better to be lucky then good ;)

Silicone probably won't stay forever, and may hamper another products adhesion, but if their sealed, their sealed...

goodluckfox

Cadet

Thread necromancy time! Bringing this thread back from the dead...

My work on the little boat has been stalled. I bought a book on fiberglass repair and watched a lot of Youtube videos, and studied i386's thread and his picture album, and got rather overwhelved.

I wound up taking the boat to a guy that works out of his house. Retired kindly old fellow. He tapped away on the hull with his multitool, and had lots of valuable insight. Yes, the pretty blue color is the gelcoat and the ugly brown is the fiberglass, and the ugly yellow in between is probably a primer to keep the pretty blue gelcoat a nice light color. He pointed to a bit of delamination, but stated that it oculd be fixed without disassembling the craft like i386 did. He pointed to a place on the hull that was either an unsufficiently sanded patch or some sort of damage. He also pointed out some other flaws that were caused by voids during the construction process that were not structurully significant, and could be faired out. He prounounced the little boat sound, but explained in detail why it didn't make economic sense to re-do the boat. He pointed out all the little cracks and crevices that needed to be sanded and smoothed and faired out, representing many MANY hours of work. The materials were no big deal, just a few hundred dollars worht of paint and supplies. But at any halfway reasonable labor rate, the number of hours would wind up costing a few thousand dollars. He pointed out that if this had been my father's fishing boat or had been in the family and had sentimental value, it might make sense. But for the cost of having another person fix it up, I could go out and BUY a complete pretty fishing boat, secondhand, already set up the way I wanted it. And this was a 400 dollar hull and trailer that I only just bought.

He was so kind and patient and really laid it out there and was able to explain things in a way that the book and Youtube videos can't. I offered to pay him for the 45 minutes he spent with me, but he refused.

I cam back to the house, defeated. My wife swears that she likes the boat just fine the way it is, and that it doesn't have to be pretty.

I've already got a sander and plenty of sandpaper, so she shouldn't mind me attempting to sand off the ugly paint that's on top of the gelcoat then. It will only improve the looks of the boat, I think.

goodluckfox

Cadet

When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping.

Yesterday I acquiired a Dewalt Random Orbital sander and with some 80 grit velcro sanding discs it worked a treat at taking the old paint off the gelcoat. I got almost an entire half the boat sanded off that way.

Either what I'm calling gelcoat is ridiculously thin, or maybe 80 grit is too much, because sometimes there was almost none of the blue stuff between the ugly green paint and the ugly yellowish primer. I did NOT go all the way through to the fiberglass, however.

I found a nice video on youtube that give me hope for getting the carpet up.

My wife wants the sides to be BLUE. As in RGB#0,0,255.She wants the inside to be white. I'm thinking white Plasti-dip for the inside, and marine paint on the sides and bottom. Either a white bottom or red bottom, with red accents (lettering, seats, racing stripes, etc). Red white and blue, you know?

Video later. :)

goodluckfox

Cadet

Well, feathers.

I got tired of sanding, and moved onto the carpet. As I was pulling the carpet up, a piece came with it. The piece was a chunk of fiberglass that the carpet was glued to. I kept pulling, and a hug piece of fiberglass gave way, revealing the decking below the fiberglass. The wood was wet and rotten. I was able to dig though it with my bare hands to the foam, which was soaked.

At this point, my wife says "abandon ship" and to just buy a known good aluminum boat. It's for her, anyway.

I fear I may be in over my head. To fix this, I need to know how to take the riveted in rub rail off and take the two halves of the boat apart, and then get the deck out... then somehow replace the foam (with any necessary fiberglass repairs), replace the deck, and put the whole shebang back together.

IN other words, I need to recreate i386's work. Without the space, tools, or knowledge.

I"m starting to worry that discretion may be the better part of valor. Does anybody want to make a case for trying to save the boat, and tell me how to disasemble it and put it back together again?

1965 Crosby Sled restoration Part 06 - YouTube

jbcurt00

Staff member

At this point, my wife says "abandon ship" and to just buy a known good aluminum boat. It's for her, anyway.

There's a reason we call them the Admiral ;) Smart thinking when the going gets rough.......

An aluminum 14ftr w/ 3 bench seats should be easy to find. Start looking for a CL motor too. You have a trailer, a real deal might be a trailer-less boat & motor. Not everybody has an empty trailer....

Start here:
http://hattiesburg.craigslist.org/boa/3936924607.html
$400, w/ Boat, motor & trailer.
posted Monday, so act fast. Treat CL ads as OBO :)

It's black & gray so it goes w/ EVERYTHING! ;) Including her tow rig/car......

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you are at all interested, sure you can probably strip, gut & rehab the Crosby. But it really doesn't sound like it's something you REALLY WANT to do.

You NEED to REALLY WANT to........