1964 MirroCraft Restoration

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 14ft 1964 MirroCraft Ski 'N' Troll w/a 1964 40HP Evinrude motor. I brought the boat last year for about $400 to get the motor for another boat I have, but decided to keep and restore it. I haven't decided all the details yet as far as color schemes and any additional changes I'm going to make, but I'm going to get starting removing all the stuff I know I'm going to get rid of. I do know that I'm going to repaint the boat, repaint and rewire the trailer, put in new interior and replace all the wood that currently in the boat (its not that much though). I also must say, that this will be my first restoration and my first time doing any work like this so it should be an interesting experience. Here's some pics of what it looks like now:

The Reece Cup III - Photo 17.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 02.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 06.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 09.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 08.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 07.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 03.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 16.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 31.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 58.JPG

Attachments

• The Reece Cup III - Photo 17.JPG
    The Reece Cup III - Photo 17.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 13
  • The Reece Cup III - Photo 55.JPG
    The Reece Cup III - Photo 55.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 15

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
I also wanted to added a couple of pics of the trailer. If you guys have any suggestions about the project, please feel free to send them my way.
The Reece Cup III - Photo 18.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 19.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 21.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 22.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 26.JPG The Reece Cup III - Photo 27.JPG

Attachments

• The Reece Cup III - Photo 24.JPG
    The Reece Cup III - Photo 24.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 1
  • The Reece Cup III - Photo 23.JPG
    The Reece Cup III - Photo 23.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 1

Tnstratofam

Commander
That's a nice looking project you have there. I really like these old tin boats. Nice lines, and they look good going down the lake. I like the color. Are you going to keep it or change it? I've also seen some nice two tone paint schemes that looked good on these. I'll be tagging along if that's okay.

64osby

Admiral
Mirrocraftb60003.jpg

I was trying to figure out what the original seat configuration was and saw this.

Nice tin. :joyous:

Attachments

• Mirrocraftb60003.jpg
    Mirrocraftb60003.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 5

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks tnstratofam and 64osby. I'm still thinking about the color. I keep going back and forth between the original color or a lite yellow with black interior, all white with black interior, or the bottom polished aluminum with solid color on top. Still thinking it thru. Feel free to offer any suggestions. And.d thanks 64osby for the vintage ad...it give me a few ideas to think about.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd strongly advise against a Black interior. It would be VERY Hot!!!!

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
I got a chance to do a little work on the project today. Here's a few pics of the progress:

IMG_1525.jpg IMG_1527.jpg IMG_1523.jpg IMG_1528.jpg IMG_1524.jpg IMG_1526.jpg

I'm still trying to decide on the wiring and how to run it so it does look as bad as it do now (see photos below). The boat doesn't have a floor so there not too many places to hide it. Any suggestions??

IMG_1530.jpg IMG_1531.jpg IMG_1532.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 6

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Will you be putting a floor in her? I Highly recommend that you do. You could route some of the wiring under there. You might also consider fabricating some side panels as well and then you'd be able to easily hide the wires and cables. You could use 1/4" epoxy coated plywood or Aluminum plate for the side panels. Old Intersate Signs from the Scrap yard are great sources for cheap Aluminum panels.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That 50 year old MirroCraft looks to be in fine condition for it's age! There were a number of those running around when I was a kid. I would sure try to keep it original. Trailer looks to be original also and in VG condition. Those short bunks on the back should pivot to aid in launching and retrieving, and yes that is the way it was designed!

Moonystar

Cadet
No Title

I also have an old mirrocraft that im restoring and i am doing a two tone color with it,

Attachments

• photo213572.jpg
    photo213572.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 4

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Excellent project! Great that you have the original trailer also. What a beauty she will be:) Just my opinion,-On a classic like yours, stick to the original design with regard to seating and paint scheme. Pick your own colors, but usually the original designers hit it on the head when they laid out the lines for the two-tone paint schemes -Just my opinion! The literature section here on iBoats is awesome. Keep the great pics coming!

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys for all the great comments. I'll been reading up on some of the other projects and trying to learn as much as I can before I get started with the major stuff. Hoping to get back working on it next week and finish taking it apart.

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
It warmed up here in Chicago to about 30 degrees today so I was able to get out in the garage and do a little work on the boat. Spent much of the time building the outboard motor stand and disconnecting all the wiring. I was hoping to get the motor off today too but it was a little too heavy for me to manage on my own. Hopefully, I'll get my brother in law over in a couple of days to help with with that. Once the motor is off, just have to remove the steering and disconnect one more gauge before I can move to the next phase which I think will be working on building some bench seats. I actually can't wait to work not the seats. Here a couple of updated photos:

IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1604.JPG IMG_1608.JPG IMG_1605.JPG IMG_1606.JPG

And its always nice when the wife supports the project:

IMG_1607.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1604.JPG
    IMG_1604.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 3

Tnstratofam

Commander
Support from the Admiral is what keeps allot of us motivated. Looking good on the tare down.:thumb: I'm looking forward to watching the resto continue!:pop2:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
tagging along if you dont mind. Grew up with a '74 Mirro Ski-n-trol, and these little boats bring back memories

apprentiss

Seaman Apprentice
Just wanted to post an update on the project so far. As of today, I've been able to finish removing 99% of the stuff that was in the boat. All the gauges and electrical wiring is removed. The motor is off the boat and on the stand. And I have started to build the bench seats that I'm planning to put in the boat. Here a few photos of the progress:

IMG_1692.JPG IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

The Bench Seats - Built the bases and started to dry fit the foam and just need to finish cutting it to size.

IMG_1675.JPG IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

And was able to pick up a nice Morse sewing machine. Now I just have to learn how to use it.

IMG_1717.JPG

Hopefully in the next few days or couple of weeks, I'll start playing around with this and can start sewing the vinyl for the seats.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nice looking Morris

Have you put that bench up on milk crates or something and taken a seat on them? Might be more comfortable if the back wasn't at 90* to the seat, but leaned back a little.