1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: 1961 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

that looks fantastic...and comfy to boot, when its time to splash, you better not come up here, or my boat wont leave the trailer, i wanna ride in yours!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Great looking work Wood! I can't wait to see her at the lake some sunny weekend!

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

That sure is turning into one purty lookn' Flamingo.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Update on BF2.

I went and took a look. Pretty much a mess. Do NOT think the motor was gunna be a runner but... since I made my deal on the "Tower" I overlooked that. The transom and deck were all shot. Hull was worse than mine when I started, Cap was not to bad. Windshield was Perfect Guages and all other accessories were there but unknown working condition. Dad was NOT home and the Kid was not to pleased with my $100 offer. I told him I paid $250 for mine two years ago and she was in much better condition but he was not impressed. He's gunna hang on an hope for mo' Money! I left my Name and Number sooooo.... Maybe Dad will tell him $100 is better than the trash heap that he will be hauling it to if the kids does'nt get it gone soon. We'll just wait and see.

A lot of work tho and not sure I really want to get into all that grindin and total rebuildin @ 61 especially since I got a "Tower of Power" to build next fall. If he calls I guess I'll have to decide then.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well, I'd be surprised the kid even tells his dad you came by.... Sorry to hear it didn't turn out to be a great deal & he didn't bite on your $100.

If it's to be, it will be.

Carry on w/ the awesome upholstery. Maybe BF#2 can be a Valentine's Gift for your grand daughter in a few weeks.........

rrumba

Ensign

he will come around, i doubt he has had many tire kickers either.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A lot of work tho and not sure I really want to get into all that grindin and total rebuildin @ 61 especially since I got a "Tower of Power" to build next fall. If he calls I guess I'll have to decide then.

That's a thinker, you'll have to see if he calls you back. Your plate's pretty full, but that windshield alone is well worth a hundred bucks and more. Couldn't hurt to have a spare if nothing else. Good luck with it!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gotta be honest, I never really saw the point in doing a second identical boat anyway.

(we all know if you take on a another project it'll be a Starcraft)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Gotta be honest, I never really saw the point in doing a second identical boat anyway.

(we all know if you take on a another project it'll be a Starcraft)

It's sooooo Funny that you brought that up!!!! When I was onsite looking at BF2 and thinking about ALL the Grinding and itching etc... I actually said to myself, Maybe it's time to really look for a Tinny and see if those guys know what they are talking about!:eek: I Really Did!!!! I thought it was because I was getting old and just didn't want to do all that work, but now I know it was EZ sending out subliminal messages.:p Anyone know where I can find a "Tin Can" Boat in Okie Homa Land, preferably a Jet Star????

rrumba

Ensign

ooooohh now your gonna whip the mob into an all out frenzy....... Tinny for WOG coming right up...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

ooooohh now your gonna whip the mob into an all out frenzy....... Tinny for WOG coming right up...

Some Caveats here!!! Want Vintage, Closed Bow, Windshield, 15 -16'. Something similar to Blue Flamingo look. I think the Jet Star is pretty close. Within 250 miles of Tulsa. Something like Lakelover's would be PERFECT!!!!! I could put the 40hp Rude on it and the "Tower of Power" on BF and I would be a Happy Boater:D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Red alert... mobilize the glasser nation... Man-down, Man-down...May-day, May-day.... At least one casualty reported...

In all seriousness WOG, I think a tinny would be great boat for you.. I admire many of the SC projects on here and can appreciate why SCs and other tinnys are 'forum favorite." I'm not going there - yet - but I may add one to the collection one day: I want to finish my Chris Craft, then do a center-console glasser, then a tinny, and then my "retirement dream" is an antique woody.... Hey, there's a thought... do a Woody... and we can change your name to WoodonWood. With your woodworking history/skills, that would be a killer project!!!!!

Good luck shopping... I sense this thread is about to blow up with suggestions... These starcraft guys have a vast network and proprietary radar technology to locate deals....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, I got my name because my first boat was a transitional Boat made by Crosby. It had ad Fiberglass Hull and Wood Top Cap. Restored it in wood shop in College. WoodonGlass. I'v been thinking of finding an old glass hull, decapitating her and fabricating a wood top. That MIGHT be my next project instead of a Tin Can! Like I said soooo many ideas and never enough time or money.

jbcurt00

Staff member

^^^ :D :eek: ^^^

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well, I got my name because my first boat was a transitional Boat made by Crosby. It had ad Fiberglass Hull and Wood Top Cap. Restored it in wood shop in College. WoodonGlass. I'v been thinking of finding an old glass hull, decapitating her and fabricating a wood top. That MIGHT be my next project instead of a Tin Can! Like I said soooo many ideas and never enough time or money.

I've seen a really good looking wooden bow & cap on a (gulp) Tinny that was polished & shined to a high mirror finish that was INCREDIBLE. There's a 50's AeroCraft 15' that someone on here just bought on ebay yesterday that would be perfect for that WoodOnTin project.

The entire internet just slowed down a few hundred GB/sec as the call went out & the Tinny guys started banging away on an @Ok SC hunt................... Maybe you can find a ride for your new to you andgott motor...

Good luck this thread is going to get much longer today.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you should have offered to haul that other Lone Star away for $100... It ALWAYS amazes me what people think their old rotten hulls are worth! I went to look at an unidentified, '60s era runabout once- I was interested in some of the deck hardware and trailer. Motor had been sitting for 5-6 years, had critters living in it, and was nothing special to begin with (early 70s), ALL wood rotten in the hull, transom shot... You name it, it was bad. Trailer was rusty, bad bearings, and needed new tires... They were asking $300.

I offered $50, I'd have taken some hardware off, then taken the hull to the dump, then scrapped trailer. The hardware was decent, and kind of rare, so I'd have probably broken even on the deal by the time I'd have paid for disposal... He laughed and said "This boat is worth like 10 grand restored".

Barrett Jackson syndrom strikes again. I'm sure he'd seen some nice, pristine original boat that kind of looked like his selling for big bucks, and thought hell, mine's worth that. Never mind the 100's of hours and 1000's of dollars that you'd spend getting it there... It's old, it MUST be worth a lot, right??

rrumba

Ensign

ok WOG here is the perfect boat for YOU............ about 165 miles from the broken arrow zip and he only wants 550/best offer

1964 Starcraft Jupiter - $550 (Van Alstyne, TX)

http://texoma.craigslist.org/boa/2809868526.html

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I DID offer him $100 bucks and he said NO!!!! He's holding out for the $500 bucks. If it's still there in the spring, I'll hit him again, IF the Tin Can guys don't bombard me OR I don't find a FREEBIE glass hull that I can Make a WOODIE out of.

rrumba

Ensign

oh by the way it comes with the old 75 hp rude and trailer.......