1959 lonestar transon replacement help !

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello to all i know its been awhile but i have not given up on the old girl, i have been following lukes progress on here and i wish i had a garage and a helper.:) did we get another on here with a 59 lone star? i have been reading the post........i have been working on my boat as much as i can still wire brushing the old po silicone job off, got the knee brace cleaned and painted, and now getting ready to order some glovit , my question is, how long does it last? i have read its hard to get off if you need to recoat ...how hard?? and can you mix it in small batches and what is the ratio? as i can only work on my boat a few hours here and the, thanks to all for the help , good job so far luke you been such a big help........

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you prep the hull for the GluvIt (epoxy), it'll stick and stick really well. Not an every few years product.

I took today off, should have called, we could have stood around in the rain looking at the boat.

Denny has an El Dorado too, I'm not sure if he started a topic, he might. He has elsewhere online.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
wish i could take the day off, been so busy here working 6 days aweek, two words i hate (HEY JOHN) it always mean somebody wants something.......... hopw we to take you for a ride this summer JB.:)

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
good news here is i think i can save the seats for a few more seasons i will try to post more pics soon............. how much glovit you all think i will need to do a good job and can you mix it small amounts?

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Happy Spring to all, I know its been a while since i posted on here but it has been cold here in wv, I have made some progress with removing the silicone that the po had but on the seams, I was able to save the bottom seats but had to make new backs for both seats, I will be doing a dry fit this weekend of the knee brace and transom to see how that all goes together . I will post pics this weekend of what i have got done, hopefully progress will go more now with the warm weather....
Has anyone heard how luke is doing on his ?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Luke and another fella have both been slowly working on their ElDorados, but neither have posted in a while, few weeks maybe.

Im free all day Fri/Sat/Sun if the weather holds or you're banging @on the tin..

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks JB i am still on the 6 day a week work here until may, are you watching the game tonight? i will try to post a special pic just for you JB. see you soon i hope.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Um game? What game?

You know i grew up in Ky and attended UK, right? :)

Yep 945p tip-off WV v UK

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No i didnt know that i am a buckeye.....lol but now a mountaineer, or like i say a buck a neer......lol

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

ok here is what i have got done so far......

Attachments

• photo217609.jpg
    photo217609.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • photo217610.jpg
    photo217610.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
  • photo217611.jpg
    photo217611.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo217612.jpg
    photo217612.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I also found the cabin cover pretty good shape, now i need to go grind more silicone off........ P3260055.JPG

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Hello to all again, Hey JB and Luke hope all is well, ok i have been slowly cleaning off the silicone on the inside ready to start to install transom, The big question is how to address all the holes in the back of the boat. it looks like it use to have a kicker bracket on the left side plus a few other holes from who knows what. most of the holes are around 1/4 inch how to you all think i should proceed. bolt all the way thru the new transom? here are a few pics.

thanks to all opinions

Attachments

• photo219327.jpg
    photo219327.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo219328.jpg
    photo219328.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo219329.jpg
    photo219329.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0

64osby

Admiral
I've filled holes like that w/ JB Weld. A thin aluminum backer can help make it a good seal.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
For those size holes I prefer to use the 2 part stick JB. After mixing it I pinch off a ball and press it into the hole. Once hardened you can sand it down smooth.After you paint over the area you can't even tell there was a hole. If you have an area that is riddled with holes then a patch over plate is a better option like where a tranducer or 2 and a speedo pitot were placed. It looks like a couple of the holes were maybe stern eyes and I would replace those with some nice new SS ones.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So you think JB weld would be better the a ss bolt with some 5200 on it bolted all the way thru the transom? I worry about it cause some are below the water line or close to it. And yes two of them are the stern i bolts and them i will put back in.

Thanks again for every ones input.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you do good prep, mix, application, sanding and paint prep after cure, thr JB'd holes will disappear.

SS bolts will be quicker, and do the job too. But you'll see 'em forever..

It wont take much JB or other metal filler, but each SS assembly might be a buck or 2 depending on where you get them. I buy them loose at Tractor Suppky, all by the pound. Not sure which grade SS they are, but some SS fastners are low grade SS others are a 'better' grade that are more resistant to rusting.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
So you think JB weld would be better the a ss bolt with some 5200 on it bolted all the way thru the transom? I worry about it cause some are below the water line or close to it. And yes two of them are the stern i bolts and them i will put back in.

Thanks again for every ones input.

If you're wanting to plug the holes with SS bolts then I would lean more towards screws and 5200 rather than drilling all the way through and having the nuts and washers on the inside. The JB weld method takes more work for sure and for it to be compromised you would have to beat on the exact spot with a hammer to bust it out of the holes.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the great ideas on this, The weather is going to be nice this weekend so i am going to start patching, i think i will go with the jb weld, do you see any problem using paint stripper to remove paint, then sand with 80 grit to prep ? also would a coat of glov it on the inside of the patch hurt anything ?

Thanks again for every ones help