1959 lonestar transon replacement help !

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK got some flooring up now to drill out the old rivets, what side should i drill from? what size bit and any other tips would be great as i never done this before......., made a template looks like it will fit thanks again for all the help guys.:)

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK all got the floor taken out this weekend and drilled out the knee brace taken it to machine shop to see if they can weld it, got some pics what do you think the brown stuff is on the inside? looks like some one tried to seal it, do you think it is glove it?? and thanks luke for the transom drawing i made a template and fits good. also i dont know if this is the right wood for the flooring what do you all think? PB040005.JPG PB040005.JPG PB040007.JPG

Attachments

• PB040005.JPG
    PB040005.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1
  • PB040003.JPG
    PB040003.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 1
  • PB040001.JPG
    PB040001.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I'm assuming that brown stuff is on the transom skin. Not gluvit, it dries smooth and it runs with gravity, it would be on the bottom too. It does look like some type of epoxy, I wonder what they are covering up? Can you see what's on the outside, that might tell what's behind that stuff.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
it is all inside the boat at every seam and rivet i think its a caulk or some thing, what does glove it look like?? 3-4 days have the knee brace back from machine shop

Watermann

That's the new 3/4" I do believe and it's exterior grade so with some sealing it should hold up just fine as decking. Personally I only use the over priced marine grade for decking due to it having almost zero voids so I can get away with using 1/2" with some extra supports to keep it from feeling too spongy under foot. I've used the 3/4" though for areas with cut outs and seat boxes where you need more strength.

Watermann

In the pic below you can see the gluvit along the keel seam and above the bow eye repair, it's shining in the pic and is more clear but ends up being more of an light amber color once cured.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do like how glove it works? did you do the whole inside of your boat? and what is that black stuff in the pic is that a patch above the bow eye??

Watermann

Do like how glove it works? did you do the whole inside of your boat? and what is that black stuff in the pic is that a patch above the bow eye??

Gluvit has worked good for the 2 boats I've used it on, mainly just use it on the seams and some rivets through the hull bottom. Those black spots are JB weld that's filling 2 holes where the PO had pulled the bow eye through the hull and had a plate welded on the outside.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok all got the reat of the floor and walls tore out this weekend, fill up with some water found a few leaky rivets, the million dollar question what is the best way to fix them? All so looks like the PO smeared silicone all over the inside of the seems... is it wire brush time ?? and how far up is the water line on this boat?

Thanks for all the help guys i am not giving up yet on this old Girl !!!

64osby

Admiral
Are you talking seam rivets? Are they loose, is there corrosion. Have they been reset before.

Pictures might help.

Get rid of the silicone any way you can.

Nice Lone Star. :)

Last edited:

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't see any in the seams yet, found a few in the rear of the boat right in the middle of the boat, and yes i think might have some corrosion. How is the best way to address that and stop it ? I will try to get more pics tonight , Not to many more warm days left here.....:(

64osby

Admiral
Corrosion - light sand or wire wheel, apply vinegar, wipe off vinegar, wash repeatedly. Seal with Gluvit or Coat-it, prime exposed aluminum with zinc chromate, prime and paint. Paint the Gluvit if it will be exposed to UV rays (sunlight).

No warm days left here.:blue:

Have you taken any time to look at the Starcraft section on the Tin projects there?

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK i still have to figure the best way to get all the brown caulk off any one no of a solvent to remove it?

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to find plywood for transom Lowes or HD dont carry the arauco brand read on the net here the factory had a fire last year, Would the 7 layer birch from lowes work? Any thing else i can use? needs to be 1 1/2 thick 12 inches wide and 68 inches long?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Go to Lowe's and ask for 3/4" floor underlayment plywood at the contractors desk. It's made with Doug Fir laminations, 100% waterproof glue and very few voids.;)

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am on my way..... hope they have it , closest place to me for marine grade is 150 miles away thanks so much i will let you know!!

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wait i take that back not on my way i just looked on web site they show nothing like that what the H**l am i missing here??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You need to go to the Contractors Desk. They won't show it on the website. Or go to a Local Lumber Yard. It's the plywood the Builders use for Bathroom and Kitchen floors.