1958 lone star malibu boat restoration help

Status
Not open for further replies.

goatnad

Seaman
Re: 1958 lone star malibu boat restoration help

Hello again everyone. I really haven't done to much more on the boat. Kind of wore myself out working on it as much as I have. Today I have a pic of the badges I chromed. The 5 is the only one that has any problems. Some how only that one badge got dirt or something on it after I painted so it left some imperfections. Nothing that is really noticeable but I notice it. The rest are just beautiful.
2014-03-17 12.36.23.jpg
Just look at that bottom badge shine!!! :D

I also worked a little more on the wiring harness. I have ordered a new solenoid for the junction box because mine isn't the right one. not sure how they had this ran before but i will go back with the original solenoid. I need a bit of help with the final wires though. Here is a diagram of how the system goes.
Wiring1958_6135_40hpwithoutgenerato.jpg
Now here is a few pictures of mine.
2014-03-17 12.31.38.jpg2014-03-17 12.32.32.jpg
On the back of the ignition you have little letters beside your wire mount points. S, A , B, M and another M. the black wires go to the 2 M's but does it matter which black goes to which M?
They both run out of the connector straight to the iginition switch but my problem is i cant see inside the connector to see which black ends up at which pin in the connector.

Last edited:

goatnad

Seaman

I managed to figure out the where the black wires go. I'm finishing up the wiring harness now. After I finish that I don't really know what else to work on. Guess its just the waiting game for when I can paint the boat and put everything back on it.

Ned L

Commander

Looking great!

goatnad

Seaman

I'm back with another update. I have gotten a pretty good bit of stuff done since I last posted. I finished the harness and got the wires covered in heat shrink. Only thing left for the wiring system is to paint the junction box casing. I took a stab at painting the cowling myself, there is good news and bad news on that. First lets go with the good news. I think I did a decent job and learned a lot about spraying. The white did very nicely but the blue still have that orange peel look.
2014-04-01 13.39.42.jpg2014-04-01 13.39.52.jpg

Now for the really bad news :( When I started taking the tape off everything was going good until this...
2014-04-01 13.40.03.jpg
Man I was so pissed when this happened. All that time just to have it screwed up. I'm not sure what I did wrong here but the rest of the paint is holding very well. Continued to peel the tape off and no other parts of the paint peeled off. I really don't want to have to paint this again. Is there anyway i can just tape this section off, and paint it again or will it be a noticeable patch job?

Now to the boat itself. I began painting it with a friend this weekend. We started with white but soon realized it would be easier if we did the blue before the rest of the work. There is a light layer of white on the top bow section then we switched to the blue. It's not the best job but this is only the first coat.
2014-03-30 19.00.14.jpg2014-03-30 19.00.24.jpg

More in next post. stupid 5 picture limit

goatnad

Seaman

Last I decided to take woodonglass advice about salvaging the steering system. I have finally gotten the steering assembly apart and you were absolutely right. it is all salvageable.
2014-04-01 13.58.01.jpg

There was a round plastic thing inside the assembly which I was not able to salvage nor do I have a picture of it. It just crumbled as I worked it out. Anyone know of a replacement for this? My dad said he thinks we can use some o-rings in place of it but I would like you guys recommendation.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

O-Rings will work just fine. Heck I had to fabricate a new Threaded housing cuz mine broke. Cheap Pot Metal!! At least you salvaged yours. Your paint prolly peeled due to unforseen metal contamination. Did you really clean the metal first and SE prime it and then prime again before top coating?

Last edited:

goatnad

Seaman

I sanded it with 220 sand paper then washed with vinegar/water but i may not have cleaned it enough or missed that section. Will i be able to patch that section or will i have to redo the whole cowling?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Kinda what I figured. Yep, I'd start completely over. Lesson Learned. Sand, wipe down with Vinegar Water then Prime with some Rustoleum Self Etching primer. A VERY light coat. (you should still be able to see the metal bleeding thru it) Very light! Then apply two coats of Rustoleum Metal Primer. Use a Scotch Brite pad to "Wet Sand" between coats. Wipe down with Mineral Spirits after it drys and then shoot another coat. After 2 coats of Metal Primer Shoot your first coat of Color. If you do this it won't peel off. Are you using Rattle Can or shooting with a Gun?

goatnad

Seaman

I did the self etching primer lightly but just about the rest of what you said I did not do. I will be stripping it and giving it another go this week. I have been using a spray gun. I cut the paint with 10% acetone at 70 psi. Thanks for the help yet again :)

goatnad

Seaman

It has been a while since I last posted so I figured I give you guys an update. I painted the cowling again as you described and the paint has stayed. I will finish that up in the next few days and will post pics when its done.

I just got back yesterday from taking a 3 day trip up to kansas to get another boat. I found a guy selling what he says to be a 1958 lone star malibu but I'm unsure if thats what it really is. This boat is complete minus the motor and control cables. I got it for $250!!! :)
I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out what year boat it is. Here are a few pics of it.
2014-04-28 15.15.26.jpg2014-04-28 15.14.48.jpg2014-04-28 15.16.32.jpg2014-04-28 15.16.00.jpg2014-04-28 15.16.17.jpg

more in the next post.

Last edited:

goatnad

Seaman

If you compare his boat to mine you notice the fins on mine are taller and have a sharper slope than his. His has what I am guessing is a splash tray mounted to the transom which mine does not have. His bow cap is much smaller than mine. It is still the same shape but its about 3 to 4 inches shorter than mine. His dash is setup completely different from mine also.
I'm thinking maybe his is a 1959 malibu but really I have yet to see any pictures of malibu's that look anything like his.

Here is what I have pulled off the boat that I am going to use on mine.
2014-04-28 15.14.35.jpg

The steering column is in perfect condition. No rust at all on it. The steering wheel I will repair. It still has the glossy look to it and has just minimal cracks in it. I will be following a tutorial i found on how to restore the wheel. The side badges are in great condition except for one the "lone" parts. The "L" broke off at the top but i should be able to solder or weld it back together. I will also be looking into getting all the chrome parts chromed again. I have also pulled the windshield off and it is probably the best condition part on the boat considering its 50 years old. No cracks and very few minimal scratches on it. They will disappear once I clean it up. Also there is light fading to it from the sun but even in its condition you can still see through it perfectly fine.

If there is anything on the boat like the horn, bow light, bow cap or spotlight that anyone wants let me know. I have no need for it and will be looking to sell it soon to recoup some money I spent on the trip. Also I will not be doing anything with this new boat hull so it will be for sale also. I'm willing to throw it up on ebay or meet in person if anyone is interested.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

That's a real sharp looking tinny! Looks like a fun project, love the fins.

goatnad

Seaman
looking for some input on the faceplate. I have bought a cowling with a perfect original faceplate. I have also partially repainted mine and have come to a crossroads. i now have 3 options for the faceplate and can't figure out which to use. Which way would you guys choose it? the first pic is my partial paint job. second is the original plate and third will be the fully repainted option.

Last edited:

goatnad

Seaman
thanks for the input guys. really appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Don't go away mad. I'm on several boating forums & this is by far the best. highest traffic, best advice, quickest replies, best moderated plus a generally helpful bunch.

Iboats is admittedly struggling to correct some fairly substantial problems w/ the last update to the software that the forum runs, vBulletin. Pix are a huge part of the problem currently.

Your best option for pix is photobucket. Which regardless of forum problems, is my preferred pix posting method. Pix end up IN your post, not as attachments that have to be opened to be viewed:
fart.jpg~c200

Your pix didn't post so I don't have any idea what those faceplate choices look like, so I can't comment on which way I think you should proceed.

BTW: It's also summer, so there's a whole heck of a lot of people using their boats, not hanging around the dry dock waiting to help. I think you'll agree, there's been quite a bit of traffic thru your thread previously........ LakeLover & I posted frequently, JigNGrub too if I remember correctly..........

goatnad

Seaman
Sorry everyone about my last post. I in no way meant for you guys to feel like that was bad mouthing you. I truly was thanking all of you for the endless amount of help with my project. I learned a great deal from all of you and I truly do appreciate it. I was irritated with the website and the website alone. Again very sorry if you thought I was upset with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.