1958 lone star malibu boat restoration help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1958 lone star malibu boat restoration help

Yup, I was just referring to closed blind (pop) rivets & a hand riveter....aluminum head, aluminum shaft. I'd think the bucked rivets would be more durable in the long run, maybe even overkill, but in practical terms for this location, pop rivets would be fine.

closed blind pop rivet2.jpg

goatnad

Seaman

I did as you said and used the closed blind rivets with a sealant around them and they worked perfect. Filled the boat with water and it didn't leak from the rivets. Left it full for about a hour and it held. Just finished putting the gluvit on the boat so now I am waiting for that to cure. Anyone ever used gluvit? It was really watery when I mixed it. On the inside front of the boat it just seems to want to run down the side of the boat. The back of the boat is fine as its flat and lets it stay in one place. I have over the last few hours gone out and scrapped the dripping part back onto the seams. Each time I do it the gluvit drips less and less. I have noticed though I can let it sit for an hour before I apply it and it ends up more like a paste that stays put(not completely but way less dripping than before). Does the gluvit need to be applied the whole time or is ok that I let it harden a bit before application?

jbcurt00

Staff member

I wouldn't wait an hour, it's starting to kick & looses it's ability to stick really really well, which is the point.

Many roll the boat on it's side to keep the Gluvit where they put it, mostly. But then it takes 3 times as long. 1 day for application of each for port, starboard & hull bottom.

But you are correct, runny as heck. Read thru some of the tin boat builds, in the resto forum & in the Starcraft forum. Lots of good boatbuilding tips for tin boats in both.........

Starcraft Boats

lakelover

Rear Admiral

It was really watery when I mixed it. On the inside front of the boat it just seems to want to run down the side of the boat. The back of the boat is fine as its flat and lets it stay in one place.

Gluvit is thin when it's mixed up. When I used it on mine, I wasn't very familiar with it and I did make quite a mess of it with the dripping and running. Mostly it was under the plywood floor I later put in, so I just painted over it when I painted. To be honest, it didn't do quite as well as I'd hoped it would to seal it up, but I think that's probably because it ran out of a lot of the seams. If I were to do it again, I'd tip the hull like jb said, and do it in stages.

goatnad

Seaman

Thanks for the info. What I put on there seems to be holding but I am going to put another coat on it today. I will tip the boat this time and see if that helps any. I wasn't sure if tipping the boat would start warping the boat shape or not. I was hoping to have it painted this past weekend but the gluvit set me back :(. Hoping to get it done next weekend.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Gluvit takes FOREVER to fully cure most of the time, so don't rush painting over it. Then paint prep it just like you would any epoxy.

goatnad

Seaman

Yea think the can said something like 72 hours for curing. Either way it will be sitting and curing for the next 7 days. I think that should be long enough.

quick update here. Just checked the gluvit and most of it looks great. its already hard as a rock in the front and middle of the boat, but the rear is still very watery. All of it was applied at the same time and the whole boat was washed and dried completely. I'm going to just let it sit longer but just wondering if i some how did something wrong on the back.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Did you have the boat, or apply the gluvit in the sun? If the hull was warmer up front it would cure faster. I suspect that the stuff up front went down 1st & had started to cure before the sun went down & the overnight temps dropped or your garage started to cool off.

goatnad

Seaman

You nailed it. Did it exactly as you described. The rear was in the shade as the sun went down. I have tilted the boat and laid a first coat on the port outside along with the starboard inside second coat. Ill flip it and do the opposite sides second coats tomorrow. Guess its on to the very boring job of soldering wires for the harness.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If ya got good weather tomorrow, roll the whole boat into full sun for a bit before you apply the Gluvit. Unless it's above 85F and the boats in the sun long enough to get HOT, I wouldn't be over concerned it would get so hot as to cause it to cure TOO fast..

Sunbathing after application could help. But don't leave it out for days, it's epoxy & isn't UV stable.

goatnad

Seaman

Back again with a few questions and an update. Sadly I didn't know it was supposed to rain last night and didn't cover the boat after I laid on the gluvit :(. Not sure how long the gluvit was wet but I dried it and its very hard. hopefully it set enough before the rain and wont mess up. If not then I guess I will strip it and start again. Really not looking forward to that. I will just have to watch it over the next few days.

Im still working on the wiring harness. should have that finished tomorrow or the next day. Now I have a few questions about the medallions on the engine. Here is a picture of mine.
2014-03-11 14.42.25.jpg

I have stripped the old paint off but there is a bit of yellowing on the big E, The v part and some on the grid area. Any way to remove this? Yellowing is not that big of an issue. I planned on painting the E and V part gold anyways so that would be masked. There are also a lot of cracks in the plastic. Any way to repair these? I do have a place that makes reproductions of these( not the clip mount kind but a sticky backed type) so I can just get those but would really like to keep these old originals on them.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

It's been a while since I used Gluvit, but I think if it's hard like you say, you should be OK. Not sure on the medallion, maybe someone else has some experience there. I'm doubtful you can fix that cracking.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Every now and again the medallions pop up on ebay, but the last was only 1 & it was cracked, not quite as rough as yours but still $50???

Try the AOMCI classifieds

You may end up buying a complete cowl & using it or it's medallions.

I know I've seen someone selling reproductions that are some sort of siliconized plastic button/disk that has the graphic behind it. Looks really close, or at least better then a 2D vinyl replica, but I can't come up w/ where I saw it....

goatnad

Seaman

I have found this site that sells the reproduction medallions. Restored Motors and Misc
good price on them too. Not sure if these are the ones with just a decal behind them. I really like the original 3d ones though. They just make it look way better. Those also are not clipped in place but instead have a sticky adhesive on the back. I have also looked at doing like you said jb and finding a whole cowling but all the ones i have found their medallions are worn and cracked like mine and most go for 100 to 150 bucks. Way more than I'm willing to pay for some simple medallions. I'll take a look at the aomci but I checked there for lone star stuff and found absolutely nothing. Thanks for the help anyways.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm pretty sure the NYMarine guy you linked is the place I saw them, but yep, that epoxy 'button' certainly makes it look more authentic then a 2D vinyl one:
58evv4medallion.JPG

goatnad

Seaman

So Ive been working on the cowling for the motor today. I pulled all the badges and trim off of it and stripped it down. It will get painted along with the boat. I still need to run one more light coat of stripper on it and then it will be done and ready for paint.
2014-03-12 15.41.23.jpg
Would like some input on how to paint it. I could go complete original colors with the black strip on the side and it would fit well with the black and white seats and black pin stripe on the side of the boat. Or I could do it with blue on the side instead of the black just to get more blue on the boat. What do you guys think?

I pulled and sanded the badges down. They were pitted pretty bad. I will be painting them chrome to fit with the trim on the cowling.
2014-03-12 15.40.44.jpg

I need help in finding these little pegs for the face plate on the motor.
2014-03-12 15.47.25.jpg
I managed to get 3 of them out ok but the last one broke on me. I also need a few for the medallions on the side if I decide to put the originals back on. What are these called and does anyone know where to find them? I just noticed how bad that picture is of them. If you need me to I can take a better one.

Last I will be stripping and painting the face plate again. I found you can use water/bleach or hydrogen peroxide to get the discoloration off of clear plastic. I'm trying it now with the medallions. Just letting them soak in bleach for the next few hours while I'm at work. Hopefully it will help. If it works then I will move to the face plate and try it.
2014-03-12 15.48.12.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Is this:
attachment.php

One of these:

• 100-Toyota-Haice-Door-Crashworthy-Retainer-Black-Nylon-Clip-Auto-Fastener-Plastic-Trim-Rivet-Car-Body.jpg

Push the center peg down & it spreads the fingers that then act as keepers to hold the fastener against whatever you're attaching.....

Not sure what they're called, but searching for automotive trim clip is how I found it ^^^

goatnad

Seaman

Awesome thanks man. those are very close to the ones I need. I might even be able to make those work.

goatnad

Seaman

Short update today. I finished stripping the cowling, polished the trim on it and finished repainting my engine medallions. The medallions aren't perfect but they look a lot better than before.

2014-03-14 13.49.52.jpg2014-03-14 13.50.47.jpg2014-03-14 13.52.12.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

They do look a lot better, nice job. Ten feet away and you'll never know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.