1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp Restoration Project - Need Your Help

Yanibm1

Seaman Apprentice
I found the above mentioned motor in the woods, actually believe it or not, on my girlfriend's grandfather's property. He was an avid boatsman at one point in his life and has a good bit of "equipment" laying around but this particular engine he was surprised was there - he had completely forgotten about it. It has been sitting for who knows how long. What surprised me was that the motor did not actually appear to be in terrible shape. I was expecting a lot of rust, and while it did have its fair share, I decided to try and turn it into a project, hopefully a successful one. Maybe with everyone's help.

I will make sure to post pictures but since it is getting late here I just want to introduce myself and the motor I've acquired. I found a pretty good deal on eBay for a solid powerhead that has supposedly been stored properly for the past 20 years, with good lubrication in the cylinders, and has excellent compression. I chose to purchase one since one of the cylinders is quite rusted and I could not find any + bore pistons online anywhere, which I would probably need.

The main concern at this moment is the lower unit, which I opened up tonight. Minus some surface rust on the gears, which I'm handling at the moment with an electrolysis setup while I sleep, the splines and everything else looks fine; that is to my unexperienced eye. I have never worked on outboard motors although I am mechanically inclined and have been researching this motor and many others like it for the past week, constantly. But, I need some help with figuring out how to make sure the gears engage properly and what is supposed to happen internally so I can make sure everything is as it should be. I will make sure to post some pictures tomorrow but for now I leave just this introduction.

Thanks and hope to hear from you guys!

BassAckwards80

Seaman Apprentice
I suggest getting yourself a manual online. I have a 68 evinrude 18 hp that I restored but still work on. You'll find that with old motors you'll continually be fixing or trouble shooting stuff. This has been my experience anyway!! You can get an old Cylmer manual for it for maybe $20. I found the service manual for mine and purchased that as well. But I highly recommend a manual of some kind. For me, as I fix one thing something else goes out :)

Yanibm1

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a digital version of the manual from "instant-manuals" for around $8, although the images are not the best quality.

Here's some photos:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That motor should be taken right apart for inspection.--You might be surprised at the condition of cylinders after honing.--Lots of good used parts available in southern Ontario.

Yanibm1

Seaman Apprentice
I'm thinking I may need a driveshaft. From what I remember from pulling it, the lower part might have rusted and snapped into the pinion. There's a good looking one for sale on eBay but for $150. I'll have to inspect further when I make it back home, although judging by what the one listed on eBay looks like doesn't look to good for mine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Never spend any money until you have done a complete evaluation.---Where I do my shopping I get 2 complete parts motors for that kind of money !

Yanibm1

Seaman Apprentice
Ya, I may have jumped into something without doing a proper evaluation first. Pinion looks cooked and looks like a new drive gear is required as well. All in all, after a proper evaluation and a list of parts I'll need it comes out to about $100, not including a driveshaft. I'm thinking I may cut my losses and move on, although I was really excited about getting this guy going. This type of outboard is one of the most visually pleasing I have seen. Racerone, do you have suggestions for places to look for piecing together something or do you have access to any parts you'd be willing to sell me?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Depends on your location.---I have just about everything you might need for that motor.----Packaging and shipping can be " too much work " for me.-Yes they are a very good motor and not much plastic used on them.-Good and dependable and many parts from say a 1976 model are the same as the 58 model.

Last edited:

Yanibm1

Seaman Apprentice
That's good to know some parts are exchangeable. You gave me a boost of hope Racerone but this project is just one piece of bad luck after another ? the powerhead came in today but one of the mounts on the intake broke off during shipping. Not too big of a deal since I can take the one from the old powerhead and use it I suppose. However, I discovered the swivel shaft, or whatever it's proper term is (that allows the motor to turn) is siezed and I cannot get one of the screws out from the bottom mounting location to open it up. So far an impact driver (the hammer kind) has saved me on soooo many screws but this guy is not budging at all. So frustrating.

Yanibm1

Seaman Apprentice
Racerone, let me see if I can get the swivel column loose and that bolt extracted. If so, I would greatly appreciate your help with acquiring the parts I need to get this thing running. I realize the project probably should have been scrapped a while back but sometimes I'm a little too persistent for my own good. Plus the engine is a relic of my girlfriend's grandfather's time spent on the water and I would like to get it running of at all possible. Plus it would be a lovely match for his boat from the 40's or 50's.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Possibly I can help if you are anywhere near where I travel regularly.-So post your location !!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find out about the local chapter of the ---aomci-----Go to one of the meets and you will find helpful greyhaired folks .---They often have parts for cheap and will help those who sincerely ask for help !!

Yanibm1

Seaman Apprentice
Alright, some heat...a lot of heat, a lot of homemade penetrating lubricant (as the cans weren't cutting it), and a lot of hammering with the impact driver the nut finally came off and the project is continuing. I've got everything broken down completely and am considering repainting. Might as well do it right the first time I suppose. Here's some pictures:

The old powerhead:

Internals look good except for the one cylinder that has some rust. I'm swapping the intake manifold since the new powerhead's broke during shipping.

Some random parts:

I'll need to source a tiller handle/grip and a driveshaft still, among other things. Will post progress for those interested.

Yanibm1

Seaman Apprentice
Got the carb rebuilt. But what does this screw do, there in the center? Is it adjustment or to drain the bowl?

Yanibm1

Seaman Apprentice
So pretty much everything I think I will need is ordered except for a tiller handle assembly and a driveshaft. Racerone, or anyone else, would you consider selling these parts to me?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Shipping is the problem.---Sorry,-.------ I have a bunch of older midsections with handles they are going for 59 cents per lb.---The scrap dealer does not argue and buys it all !!!

Yanibm1

Seaman Apprentice
Well, considering I cannot find a good deal online, I would be willing to make it worth your while if that changes anything. I do not mean to be persistent but I would pay you, of course, for the shipping and for the parts. My only other option at the moment is from Americanoutboard.com and they have yet to give me a price quote on what I need, and I expect it will not be cheap.