19' CC Rebuild/Refresh

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 19' CC Rebuild/Refresh

I ordered them from McMaster-carr. I don't know whether this link will work, but the part number is: 4480A22

http://www.mcmaster.com/#power-brushes/=6knx33

Thats a good trick with the PL adhesive. I still haven't decided how to seal that. 4200 will be expenive!

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just spent my lunch break cutting up the foam for my hardtop. I'm going with 20 pound density, 1/2 inch foam, because we have couple sheets of scrap lying around. Our foam vendor uses that stuff to pad the 80 pound tooling board we buy. Right now, my plan was to laminate the foam between two super thin layers of styrene or ABS sheet then I would curve the sheet to meet a series of 1/2 ply ribs and glass everything together. The only reason that I would need the plastic would be to make it easier to get a nice smooth surface. My other thoughts were luan or wood veneer (again I think I can find some scraps.) Anyone have any suggestions? I want to keep it super lightweight... Thanks! - Tom

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lookin good so far!!! :) Can't wait to see 'er all finished up!

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey man, nice boat. I used to use those 3m sanding discs (im not sure what there actually called) when i worked in an auto shop. They were awesome for cleaning metal, gaskets from metal, etc. I wish i had remembered those while i was preping my aluminum boat. They would have been awesome around the rivets. I could have prob saved 6 hours if i used one of those, and they are a plastic material so you dont have to worry about using steel on aluminum. One downfall i remember they get ground down pretty fast.

Chad

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks! yeah they do wear down pretty quick and at 4$ a pop, you kind of have to save them for when you really need them....
I put together my material for the hardtop last night. I ended up just deciding to go with a fiberglass backed veneer, and on either side is a resin impregrated layer of paper. I took a couple of photos, but most of them came out blurry for some reason. I'll put em' up anyway until I can go back out to the shop this afternoon and take some more. Also, maybe a picture of the cross section after I start cutting it.

The layers are

Veneer
Fiberglass
foam
fiberglass
veneer

This is the veneer material:
foamlaminate1.jpg

This is the foam layed out on top of a veneer with some fiberglass. I was in the middle of mixing up more resin when I took this.

foamlaminate2.jpg

Closeup of the sandwich at that point, sorry its blurry:

foamlaminate3.jpg

And this was my method for applying pressure... pile everything in the immediate vicinity on top!

foamlaminate4.jpg

It seemed pretty strong when I checked this morning, but I guess I'll know better how it worked when I got to cut it

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I chopped my foam sandwich material into the rough size that I will need and left a little extra on the 60" x 60" chunk because I might lose some when I go to bend it. I'm pretty happy with it except that there is a slight gap between two of the pieces of foam... I guess I just have to try and find something to fill it with. Here are some pictures before I bend it, rout the edges and glass it all in:

Foamlaminatedetail1.jpg

the gap:

Foamlaminatedetail-flaw.jpg

Foamlaminate-fullsheet.jpg

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I won't have photos until late tonight, but I think that after 30-40 hours of filling holes, I might be close to final body work. At this point, I am thinking about renaming her "swiss cheese." The deck is still pretty rough, but I am rolling textured gel coat on that later so I'm not too worried about it for the time being. Anyway, I am planning on shooting the gel coat on the transom, and the polyprimer on the rest at some point this weekend. The only major hurdle is getting the boat off of the trailer and onto the blocks. My plan is to throw some 3 inch wide nylon straps around the whole boat widthwise in two places and then pick it up from the side with a forklift. Then I could just pull the trailer out from underneath and set it on the blocks. Has anyone tried this before? Did it damage the boat at all?

jonesg

Admiral

uh... ooops. ! ...it will not bend now.:p
Not with pressure , not with heat.

The idea is to induce the bend into one laminating surface , then glue the core to it, then add the other laminate.

I used white shower wall material from HD, induced the curve and glued urethane foam to it, then covered the foam with glass mat.resin.
Then I hogged out some of the foam and set 6"x6" ply pads in with PL for hard mounting points and glassed over them with resin/mat again.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

looking good !!!!!!
always seems like alot of work to do, just take it 1 step at a time.
your making great progress

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks joe, I appreciate the encouragement!

Jonesg, you are right, I was surprised at how stiff that piece got once it cured out! The good think is that I only need it to deflect about an inch and a quarter, so hopefully I can make it happen... if not, I guess its back to the drawing board! Its funny that you should mention heat, because my plan B was to stick it under an infrared heater until it hit 150-160 F. Anyway, I should be able to get back to the hardtop project as soon as I get the primer on the hull so it sounds like I might need a little advice on that front if I can't get it to bend enough.

After 8 hours behind a respirator, I don't feel like posting photos, but I got a lot done tonight and I think that I'm within 4-6 hours of primer once I can get out there and start sanding again! Pictures in the morning...

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

sbtom, man you are in neck deep in this one, everything looks great, nice work, hope the top panel cooperates. keep at it, good luck, D

ps go drink a cold one, you deserve it.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Osborn!

I had a chance to load some photos of progress on body work this morning. Is that ugly boat competition still going on? I think I have 10 distinct colors going on here:

Sideshot-midbodywork.jpg

When I went to pull the aluminum keel guard off, it took a bit of glass with it, so I decided to play it safe and grind out that whole region and replace it with fresh fiberglass. Now I'll have to sand, fill, and fair that area, but its definitely worth it because it seems like a critical point in the hull! Here is a shot of the damaged area, sorry its blurry:

keelguarddamage.jpg

This is last night after sanding with 220. This whole area was a disaster zone, so I am pretty happy with how its coming along, but it will still need some attention to crisp up the lines:

Frontendsanded220.jpg

And here is a shot that shows the damaged portions after repair and sanding with 220. Again, this area will need a little more work, but I think that it should smooth out pretty nicely after the polyprimer.

Frontrailssanded220.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's going to paint up really nice.

jonesg

Admiral

Thanks joe, I appreciate the encouragement!

Jonesg, you are right, I was surprised at how stiff that piece got once it cured out! The good think is that I only need it to deflect about an inch and a quarter, so hopefully I can make it happen... if not, I guess its back to the drawing board! Its funny that you should mention heat, because my plan B was to stick it under an infrared heater until it hit 150-160 F. Anyway, I should be able to get back to the hardtop project as soon as I get the primer on the hull so it sounds like I might need a little advice on that front if I can't get it to bend enough.

What you can do is peel one of the laminates off, start by cutting one side with a serated knife, steak knife or long bread knife. Peel it back and reach in to cut more, it will come off, try to keep most of the foam on one laminate half. Like fileting a fish.:p

When you get it off use the knife to score the foam into squares, this will allow relief for you to bend it without kinking or puckering the foam up.
Establish the curve ( I put 2x4's under the long sides) squeegee some PL into the foam and place the second laminate on top, add weight and it will bend, clamp the edges all around. I'd advise PL premium because it will give you the extra time ( 30 minutes) to get it right with no twists.

You'll need to give some thought to finishing the edge.

Heres what I did, I cut the urethane foam smaller than the hardtop 3 inches all around, then ran the glass all the way to the edge all around. No further finishing required. Made a slideshow how I did it.

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/jonesg_photos/T-Top/?albumview=slideshow

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yours turned out really nice! I think if I can't get this piece to bend the way I need it, I might just start over again... I don't have a whole lot invested in that piece I laid up because it was all scrap material anyway. I wonder whether I would be better of just making a bunch of kerf cuts on the bottom with the laminates intact and just having a faceted look. I also had the idea of trying to buy the roof off of an old golf cart. That thermoformed roof that they have on those things would be a perfect starting point because they are super light weight.

Hey, not to hijack my own thread, but my brother spent a couple hours cleaning up the garage this last weekend. I was supervising (drinking beer) and I took a couple of shots of that lathe he is working on. He has it down to all of the base components and he's just starting strip everything down.

Lathe-benchtop.jpg

Lathe-basketcase.jpg

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a buddy volunteer to come in and help me prime, sand and paint this weekend. He has a lot more experience than I do, so I really owe him a lot for helping me out! we got everything done up till the first coat of paint, but the deck and all of the grip areas are still unpainted, because they will all be getting a grip surface. I also still have to hoist the boat and apply the bottom coat and the detail striping. The first four shots are all primer and then I'll post again with the actual paint shots:

primer-centerconsole.jpg

primerbeforesanding.jpg

Primer-repairarea.jpg

Primer-edgedetail.jpg

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

that all got sanded down and then we shot the paint. it will still need atleast another coat, but man this stuff is bright! It looks kind of wierd without the detail stripe, but once thats on there I think it will start to come together...

I spent a lot of time building up this splashwell area, and I did it all from scratch so I was worried that it wasn't going to come out well with the gloss paint on there. I'd give myself a B- , but I don't think it will be too noticeable once I get the motor hung on there.
Topcoat-splashwelldetail.jpg

Topcoat-splashwelldetail2.jpg

topcoatsideshot.jpg

suuuuuuuper white:

Topcoatoutside.jpg

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

man that is a bright white, looks nice and clean, proly wont stay that way with fish blood all over it!!!!! really nice looking cant wait to see her finished and fishin. D

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks good man, the flooring material will be in for mine today so I should have some new pics up tomorow with the floor done.

Chad

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get out there do some fishing! I've really been back and forth on what type of coating to use for the deck. I can get gelcoat for 25$ a gallon through work, so I'm considering just adding some tint and texture and rolling it on... still waiting to see how yours turns out Chad, keep me posted!
In the mean time, I need to get another coat of paint on the top and get going on the hardtop again
cheers- Tom