14' SC Rebuild

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don’t forget the leaf springs on the trailer will have some give. You don’t want the tire scrapping the fender on a bump.

Yah, moving the fenders should be easy, moving them the "right" distance will be trial and error! By the way, I'm enjoying following your thread, nice work!

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a 48 Lb MK TM on my 16' and the only issue I had was strong wind and being 12v it ate the battery up when at higher speeds.

Our local "lakes" are very small in comparison to other parts of the country I guess (45-90 acres), and most have restrictions on using OB's. Makes TM's and their power supplies a necessary evil. Kinda funny, I'll have more weight in batteries than OB!

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wire brushed the frame, added the extension, first coat primer, and capped the fenders. Near fender shows being dropped 1.5", far fender at original height. Still leaves me 3" clearance.

Attachments

• photo288312.jpg
    photo288312.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 3

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the new bolsters on both sides, bunk installed on the left.
The bow rollers are canted in opposite directions, yet the mounts are very tight. Could this have been done to make the boat self centering, or is it more likely the mounts slipped over time?

Attachments

• photo288367.jpg
    photo288367.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 3

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
The center rollers should be straight. Self centering rollers would be wider with a unique spiral spiral shape.
i would use side rails to keep the boat centered.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had bought a "real" self centering roller and frame previously, but it's really wide and don't want to use it on a little 14'er. I thought maybe someone had tried to alternate the angles on the two bow rollers in an effort to make some kinda self-rigged, cheapo centering device where one kicks it in one direction and the other kicks it back. Of course, that's all speculation on my part, just seemed like more than coincidence for them to oppose each other.

Side rails may be the way to go.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Can't say on yours, and not discounting that somebody MAY have tried that as an idea, but they probably slipped over time..
I have a trailer that has center rollers looking like that..
They were flat, but now settled like yours.. Boat wasn't perfectly straight, so they did go in either direction..
Brackets still are pretty darn tight, so it slipped on mine if that's of any help...

Will be fixing mine next time the boat is off the trailer..

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess with two (yours and mine), like that, you are more than likely right, it just happened.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Other bunk in place, ordering 2 more rollers as the last two old ones are pretty dry rotted. May have to build a gantry to pick up boat to drive trailer under it.

Attachments

• photo288424.jpg
    photo288424.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 3

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Other bunk in place, ordering 2 more rollers as the last two old ones are pretty dry rotted. May have to build a gantry to pick up boat to drive trailer under it.

Is the trailer a "Tilt" trailer? I can't tell from the pictures. If so, you should be able to tilt it, lift the front of the boat up and pull the trailer under the bow of the boat. You may be able to winch it on from there.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It was a tilt in a prior life, some PO put two self tapping screws through it and made it a fixed trailer.
I'll go out later and take a look, that would actually be better if It can be returned to tiltable!

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was a tilt in a prior life, some PO put two self tapping screws through it and made it a fixed trailer.
I'll go out later and take a look, that would actually be better if It can be returned to tiltable!

I could see the "T" shape that is common on trailers with the tilt feature. The "T" is where it actually tilts. I prefer the tilt trailers for shallow water. I rarely use the feature, but it is nice to have just in case you need it. Most of the time when people lock the tilt system, it is because of "slop" in the mechanism. If it is still tight, I would use it or fix it so it doesn't have too much movement.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Haven't accomplished much, we are having some seriously strange weather here. A tornado touched down a couple miles up the road from us and tore up a bunch of homes.
I checked out the tilt function after removing the two screws that locked the tilt mechanism in place. Can't detect any real slop there and the parts for the tilt feature show no or very little sign of use. Will be leaving the tilt feature active as we have two boat launch ramps nearby that are pretty shallow. I have a brother coming over Thursday to give me a hand getting the boat up on the trailer, in the meantime I'll be carpeting the bunks. Have another order in for trailer and boat parts right now, crossing my fingers that they will be here before week's end.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know---it's not much progress but it's better'n nuttin! Carpeting the bunks, about all I can do until the new hardware makes it here.
I don't like this style trailer for the v-hull, will start slow looking for a good deal on a better one, but I imagine I'll use this one for 2018. I'm shooting for a 4th of July splash ( not completion, just ready enough to fish).

Attachments

• photo288678.jpg
    photo288678.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 3

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Reloading on the trailer was a snap by myself even. The tilt and winch made it super easy.
can't tell you how mad I am right now at myself, the picture says it all.

Attachments

• photo288694.jpg
    photo288694.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 4

Helihover

Seaman
Cool project! Your boat looks exactly like mine and mine is/was originally orange. I have a 73 14' Holiday.