14' SC Rebuild

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree with getting the trailer work done. Once you get the trailer work done, the rest of the work on the boat can be done with it on the trailer. Having the boat where you can move it around and take it where you need to for special work is handy.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Baby's got new shoes now, THAT was the easy part. Tomorrow they come back off along with everything else and the fun part begins! :(

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Helps to load the picture, doesn't !?

Attachments

• photo287812.jpg
    photo287812.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 4

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree with getting the trailer work done. Once you get the trailer work done, the rest of the work on the boat can be done with it on the trailer. Having the boat where you can move it around and take it where you need to for special work is handy.

Unfortunately, I don't have a level spot anywhere on the place so trailering it will allow me to use the trailer jack to get the floor level (without having to build a cradle).And, as you mentioned, easy to take wherever I have to.

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rebuilding the small trailers usually take almost as much work as larger trailers. You may use more paint on a larger trailer and most trailer parts such as the frame and rollers may be larger, but the work to accomplish the rebuild is about the same. They all usually have a similar amount of electrical, similar number of bearings per axle, etc.
the second to my last boat trailer rebuild for a 12’ boat was more difficult than the rebuild for my 18’ boat.
The smaller trailer had more rust and the larger trailer I cheated on and had it sand blasted.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Whilst I'm doing trailer drudgery, I've started rethinking outboard size again. Found an online speed calculator that you put in hull type, weight, and hp, and the calculator gives you an estimated speed (+/-). That calculator said I should get approx 29 mph with a 14' boat, 800 lbs and 15 hp.
Now, my old boat was 17', 1200 lbs with a 60 hp on and the calculator said it would get 49 mph. In real life it wasn't even close to that, only achieving 30 mph on a good day.
So, anyone have a realistic idea what I can achieve with a 15 or 25 hp on a 14'er at 800 lbs? Is there any way of knowing what it would take to get the boat up on plane?
Thanks much.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
People guessing is just about as worthless as that speed estimating calculator. Best advice I can give is to max out your boats HP as rated and you'll never want for more motor, just more boat and motor :lol:

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
People guessing is just about as worthless as that speed estimating calculator. Best advice I can give is to max out your boats HP as rated and you'll never want for more motor, just more boat and motor :lol:

Heck, ya'lls educated guesses are better than my ignorant musings!:lol:
The boat's rating tag lists 40 hp, seems like a lot of weight on that lil boat.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Heck, ya'lls educated guesses are better than my ignorant musings!:lol:
The boat's rating tag lists 40 hp, seems like a lot of weight on that lil boat.

if you keep the weight to a minimum, that boat should have no problem hitting high-20's with a 40 hanging on it.

Folks have the tendency to max these little hulls out with thick ply decks, raised floors, livewells, coolers, etc.

For example, I had a 16' BlueFin Seahawk (similar hull design...not as much freeboard) powered with a 35hp 2stroke... would get close to 22-24mph by myself but before I knew better (before I knew of iboats), I used glassed 3/4" PLY, heavy homemade center console, heavy swing-back seat etc. Once I loaded it up with coolers and a couple fishing buddies...barely 20mph.

that's when 2-foot-itus starts to take hold :lol:

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, quick question I just found a 70's Evinrude, guy ran in the barrel, there's a lot of exhaust smoke coming out, I don't know enough about these old outboards to know if this is the norm. The outboard has been completely rebuilt.
thanks,

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice progress and on a 14'r I would not even think of going more than a 25 HP OB, way too much weight and power to be on there with a 40 HP.

Well, I bought the 25, and the mechanic said he'd take it back in exchange for a bigger OB if needed.
He thought the 25 would be sufficient if I keep the weight down as he had a 14'-er with a 25 on it. Time will tell I guess.

Got the old bunks and hardware off the trailer, rained and snowed most of yesterday so no progress on that. Bad weather made for a nice day trip to fetch the 25 hp home.

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had an old 14’ Lone Star and it was perfect with a 40 hp Evinrude. As I recall, the boats hp limit as 40 hp. It was perfect with that engine.

Watermann

I would think for a 14' utility boat the 25 will be a good compromise between weight and power.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What I liked about this deal is I have "insurance" if I need more hp.
I'm not a go-fast kinda guy, just want enough to get it up out of the hole.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did a search on 25hp on a 14' v-hull boat and came up with a good number of threads on a variety of forums. One was from a plywood and fiberglass boat plans site I am very familiar with as I have built three of their boats. The 25 looks promising if I keep the weight down, reports up into the mid-to-upper 20's. IF that is the case, I'll be very pleased indeed.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Weather is crap right now so turning my attention to a bow mount trolling motor to complete my propulsion needs.
From what I've read, sounds like anything over 45 lb thrust is wasted, unless it is windy, or, you are in a current (river). Does that sound about right (14', targeting 700 lbs total on boat)?
Thanks

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Afternoon sun came out, looked at old pics of boat on trailer and realized the boat sat very high on the trailer. The rollers were set to clear the tops of the fenders by about an inch. Looking at the tire/ fender relationship, there is 4.5" of clearance there. Will try to drop the fenders down to allow boat to sit lower on the trailer.

Attachments

• photo288187.jpg
    photo288187.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0

baldwibr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don’t forget the leaf springs on the trailer will have some give. You don’t want the tire scrapping the fender on a bump.

Watermann

I had a 48 Lb MK TM on my 16' and the only issue I had was strong wind and being 12v it ate the battery up when at higher speeds.