12"gamefisher fiberglass repair help (pics)

newbie19

Cadet
Re: 12"gamefisher fiberglass repair help (pics)

dang i appreciate all this. couple more questions to make sure i'm doing this whole thing right.

don't have a grinder but do have a sander? with extra time will that work just as well or nah?

what does wet on wet mean? just do it before it fully dries?

should i cut all the pieces the same size? or should it be smallest/thinnest first, then bigger as i lay over that?

when you say add wax to that last layer, you mean a little bit of the origonal waxed resin brand that i used to the unwaxed? sorry if these are all really dumb/simple/:facepalm: just wanna do it right

and lastly, just curious as to why the inner hull would be best to add the layers instead of the outter?

thanks again

newbie19

Cadet

@Jon Sob - appreciate the mention. goggles, rubber gloves, body suit, lemme know if i'm missing anything

oops!

Supreme Mariner

sorry if these are all really dumb/simple/:facepalm: just wanna do it right

LOL......There is no such thing a s dumb question here......this is the exact reason these forums exist...so we can help people that are new to the repair side of boating :)......ask all you want with no worries !!!.....also read the rules....there is no bashing here....so no one will call you names.;)
we actually enjoy helping people that are new to this.

don't have a grinder but do have a sander? with extra time will that work just as well or nah?

a sander will work.....but it will take some time.....well ok,....lots of time....use the largest grit you can....

if you choose to buy a grinder, even a cheap harbour freight one will work just fine...
we use a 4.5 inch grinder with a rubber backing plate, and 24 grit discs.

what does wet on wet mean? just do it before it fully dries?

wet on wet.....is referring to the resin.
yes...do it before it dries...(cures)

quick bit of info here.....

you are looking for a chemical bond.
when you glass that first layer on, you are going to get a mechanical bond....this means that you have two different types of materials with a type of glue between them, holding the new material to the sub straight.

this is why surface prep is so important....after you grind/sand it....you are removing the majority of the old resin and actually getting to the glass strands in the lay up of the sub straight. then.....you clean with acetone. the acetone actually weakens the old resin, and makes it sticky. it kind of "wakes it up"

when you glass a layer of cloth or matt to a freshly laid one.....when the resin has not had a chance to dry.
the resin and the glass mix. the resin cross links with each layer, and is chemically bonded to each other. one solid laminate with no "hard joints" between.

there is a problem with this.....if the resin gets too hot.....it will become brittle and be weak.
as you glass your stuff, you will add more resin each layer....the more resin...the hotter it gets as it cures.
if the stuff gets too hot during the application....stop.....wait a bit...it will try to cure....just let it.....when it starts to cool down.....start glassing again. (too hot means smoking !.....if you have a laser temp probe.....dont go over 190 f

i have seen resin buckets achieve over 250 deg while curing

should i cut all the pieces the same size? or should it be smallest/thinnest first, then bigger as i lay over that?

smallest first....you want each layer of csm to grab more of the hull than the last....that way if the first bond starts to fail...the next layer has more grab to the hull than the failing one.

but here is where it gets tricky.
you want the csm between each layer. so the 1708 is cut at the same size as the layer of csm under it.
then the next csm over the 1708 is larger.

if this confuses you...just ask....
i will explain....but its a lot of typing....lol

when you say add wax to that last layer, you mean a little bit of the origonal waxed resin brand that i used to the unwaxed?

for the very last layer, you can actually use that resin you have.
however, i would just buy some wax, and use it with your new stuff (it comes in a liquid form and is sold in containers) wax is also called airdry.
wax is added at 3% total volume.

and lastly, just curious as to why the inner hull would be best to add the layers instead of the outter?

this is an inside out repair,,,,meaning that both the inside .and the out side will be repaired by adding layers of glass.

however....more layers will be added on the inside than the out.

the reason for this is cosmetic.....it does not matter if you have 7 layers on the out side, and 3 on the in side, or 3 on the out side and 7 on the in !

where it does matter, is in the bulk of the layers....
if you do the most layers on the out side.....this will cause a bump in the hull, this could cause drag, handling problems, fairing problems, or just an ugly looking repair !

once the new glass encapsulate the breach.....it will become one hard layer again. it it is just a question of where do you want the bulk ?

if you do the bulk of the repair on the inside, it is far less noticeable.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok....lets get to those benches and the dog platform !

you will need to grind off the outer layer of glass that is holding the bench down.....wherever you are going to put new glass......it gets ground down....cleaned with acetone.

i would just make new benches out of 1/2 inch exterior plywood rather than use the failing ones, but that is your call.

when you glass in the new benches, use the 1.5 oz csm.....and make thin 4 inch widths of glass...this is called tabbing.
then a 6 inch strip....then an 8 inch...

using the smallest first (just like the hull repair).... glass those to the bench and the hull.

go all the way around the bench....where ever it contacts the hull.

for the dog pedistal......you will need a support system under the new deck....
this could be the whole bottom....or just a small section of the boat.

i would just use some 1x2 and make a frame that sits in the hull....one stringer up the keel,,,,,and reaching out to the side of the boat from the center stringer, one front and back on each side.
glass that all in using csm...

then....take some 1.2 inch exterior plywood....and make a deck.....glassing both sides under and over. and screw it to the stringers you put in the area.

then just throw a rug over it so the puppy has some traction.

one more thing......you are going to need some floatation in the boat.....
this is foam that is in side the boat, so that if the boat sinks or swamps,,,,it will not sink, giving you some place to hang on to while rescue comes.

in your case....i would use the rigid sheet foam....either pink or blue from your local hard ware store.

i would place it under the bench seats.....standing vertically then place your bench over the foam.

one other thing......if you wish......you could grind out the entire hull.....and add a full layer of 1.5 csm....and a layer of 1708....if you did this......the boat would last for decades.

there ya go bud

cheers
oops

newbie19

Cadet

ok i'm right there with you so far! (meaning i understand ha)

the store i'll be getting all this from is called west marine, i went on their site and they have a few different resins and such, which one should i stick with? here are the choices

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...ar|0&N=377 710&pageSize=10&sType=SimpleSearch

if you have a recommendation out of their mats and cloth that would cool too, if you think these brands are good

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=3&Ns=Most+Popular|0&keyword=fiberglass+cloth

should be able to start taking off the old glass today!

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

@Jon Sob - appreciate the mention. goggles, rubber gloves, body suit, lemme know if i'm missing anything

Hey newbie ..... copied this from oops! thread:

a fellow iboater was doing some fiberglass grinding without a mask..
he said "i allmost coughed up a lung"
i thought i would post some pictures of minimun safety equipment in this thread....
once fiberglass dust enters your lungs...it will never ever break down...never.
proper safety equipment is a must...fiber glass resin, has toxic fumes...as you know...you can pass out cold if you get too much fumes....

even if your working out doors you must still wear the safety equipment.

a breathing resporator that totally fits around your nose and mouth is mandatory....

thoes little paper fiber doctors type masks..will not work...even if you think they do...
picgroup12002.jpg

a good seal around your nose and mouth are paramount
picgroup12003.jpg

its obvious that the goggles should be worn when grinding and sanding...but also when pouring or mixing resin....it splashes.....got a few drops on my lens tonight....would hate to think what would have happende if i wasnt wearing them...

newbie19

Cadet

UPDATE

Got her all set up for some workins. felt really good to finally start working towards getting her ready for fishing. ...actually felt kinda painful in my chest lol, gonna have to go buy a respirator for that cause two thick face masks + a folded rag around my face wasn't doing the job. was also annoying how my goggles kept fogging up. that aside, this is gonna be an addiction:)

have another question. is it possible to sand TOO much? since i don't have a grinder i was using this(picture) for the top thick parts then switching over to the sander, to be more gentle the closer i got to the actual boat. but i'm a little nervous of "over doing it." should i leave any old resin/glass behind at all?
IMAG0395.jpg

heres a couple more pics
IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

wholllle lot of resin
IMAG0386.jpg

this is where i started getting a little nervous
IMAG0392.jpg

thanks as always.
lemme know your thoughts about any of it!

newbie19

Cadet

@Jon Sob boy you guys weren't kidding. really appreciate it. if you hadn't posted this i prob would have just tried to tough it would with some layered face masks.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Every bit of the recently applied glass needs to be removed, you can't really over do it.

That drill will be very slow and you may wear it out before you're done, it's much easier to do with a cheap grinder from Harbor Freight.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, your gunna need a grinder and 24 or 36 grit resin discs. But You CAN over do it and go all the way thru the hull, but even if you do it can be easily repaired. You''ll get a feel for it the more you do. Here's what you need....4 1/2" grinder on sale at HF for 14.99, 4 1/2" backup pad $2.79, and 36grit Resin sanding discs pack of 5 $3.99 and a decent respirator $15.99

image_12063.jpg
image_7179.jpg
image_16347.jpg
image_5722.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Every bit of the recently applied glass needs to be removed, you can't really over do it.

That drill will be very slow and you may wear it out before you're done, it's much easier to do with cheap grinder from Harbor Freight.

re posting because it needs to be said twice. lol

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok i'm right there with you so far! (meaning i understand ha)

the store i'll be getting all this from is called west marine, i went on their site and they have a few different resins and such, which one should i stick with? here are the choices

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...ar|0&N=377 710&pageSize=10&sType=SimpleSearch

if you have a recommendation out of their mats and cloth that would cool too, if you think these brands are good

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=3&Ns=Most+Popular|0&keyword=fiberglass+cloth

should be able to start taking off the old glass today!

man I cant believe how confusing there stuff is

you are looking for 5 gallons of standard boat resin, un waxed.
1708 bi ax cloth....(that is its name)
1.5 oz chopped strand matt. (that is also its name)

the pics of the stuff they had are not good enough to decipher what they are selling you.

a lot of guys here use uscomp. i just look in the phone book and drive 10 mins to the 5 local fiberglass supply shops.

jones01m

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ground non-stop with this 7" sander from Harbor Freight using a multi-sheet sanding disc.
The power to weight ratio seems well suited for this work.
The multi-sheet sanding disc does not seem to lose its abrasiveness as new sheet is exposed when the old wears away. I never had to replace the disc.
I have the 4.5 grinder, which worked well for the tight spots. I favored the one pictured for the majority of the sanding.

Was a Tyvek suit mentioned for the PPE? I didn't wear one, but regreted it. That glass dust penetrates all clothing and it is hard to get out in the wash.

Just my 2 cents from another newb.

IMG_0124.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you use the backup pad with the resin discs you'll never use a flapper disc again. They are that much better.

newbie19

Cadet

small update

got a respirator, grinder, and about 25 minutes of boat time in before work today.
feeling kinda newbie about uploading these pictures of how it went with the grinder ha

36 grit as recommended, haven't got the rubber backing yet though.
IMAG0396.jpg

thinking about lowering the boat some so its less awkward to work on
IMAG0397.jpg

top right cornor, toot toot goes the fail boat. thought i was gonna go through to the other side lol
IMAG0398.jpg

:facepalm::redface:
IMAG0400.jpg

should be able to get a lot more done tomorrow

thanks again to everyone for their instructions and thoughts. i'd still be in square one not moving forward if you guys didn't put in your say and advice

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nice progress. What were you using to grind with???

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looking good so far newbie ...... before you know it you'll be putting things back together.

newbie19

Cadet

hey guys! quick question

IMAG0413.jpg

the guy who showed me how to put on the glass cut the pieces like #2

i'm wondering if it would be ok for me to cut any of the pieces in the shape of #1??
if yes how many layers out should i wait before getting to that size?

example. i would cut the first few layers as #2, then the last two layers as #1.

or is this all just a bad idea/waste?
i'm asking because i ground pretty far down/up on the front of the boat and didn't know if it needed to be covered.

heres some from today, still got time for some more:D
IMAG0408.jpg

IMAG0409.jpg

newbie19

Cadet

Nice progress. What were you using to grind with???

thank ya!
its a skil 4 1/2 grinder with 36 grit on it

EDIT
unless you mean before i got that. in that case i was using a orbit sander and a drill with a gritty attachment :rolleyes: