115 V4 SLEDR 1995? Power loss at full throtle

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 V4 SLEDR 1995? Power loss at full throtle

You can lead a horse to water !!!!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for your suggestions and your set-up obviously works just fine.

And for under $100 and proven safe. Less for an aftermarket pump.
Available at any OMC dealership.
Please don't use an electric pump !!!!

nate69

Cadet

And for under $100 and proven safe. Less for an aftermarket pump.
Available at any OMC dealership.
Please don't use an electric pump !!!!

Thanks,, but I already have the electric pump, and will be putting it in... No reason not to, the pump being used is specifically for marine applications it has multiple safety features to protect the pump and engine in the event of failure, it is factory set to 7 psi and even that can be regulated, and last of all the pump is designed to specifically work with carb. engines.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thanks,, but I already have the electric pump, and will be putting it in... No reason not to,

Some of us will wish you just said that in the first place so we could have just moved on.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

when you have it all working let us know how you did it .
it might help a lot of people out who would like to do the same thing.

i know some fuel injected engines wich have vst use electric lift pumps without any problems. designed like that.
the only difference is that they are controlled by the ECM.
some have duty cycles on of for 30 seconds depending on rpm. to prevent premature failure and flooding.

remember your fuel pump will always have a constant pressure witch is not needed at idle.
with the slightest bit of dirt on your needle it will flood the carb realy fast. key on --------> flooding.

good luck.

nate69

Cadet

Thanks and I do plan on letting everyone know how it go's
I have built engines all my life and have been using
electric fuel pump mods for a long time. I have been planing
on trying this for a while since I knew that the VRO was acting up
it may not work or it may work just fine I do plan on installiing more
fuel monitering and engine monitering sensors with the install
and will baby the engine until I feel comfortable with the setup.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

If you can guarantee that the pump will shut off if the engine stalls, then go for it! If you can't, then I certainly wouldn't put it on there. I have a feeling that with the battery hooked up, there will be 12 volts present after the rectifier/voltage regulator even with the motor off.
Seems like a lot of work for little gain.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I have a feeling there is too, I would have pulled my motor cover off and checked for him but it's lonely in a barn up the road. I guess one could put the appropriate diode in the circuit and tap it before the diode.

nate69

Cadet

Maybe I should do a youtube viedo of this, it seems like there is alot of intrest or questions. I have to see what I can do, should have the boat back in the water by this Saturday afternoon

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

yes the engine rpms did fall back to about 3k I think, it has been over a week now, since my first post..

Since my post I have checked the compression and found that all of the cylinders still have good compression 115-125 on all cylinders, I also placed a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line just past the vro pump and have found that I have very little fuel pressure if any at idle or 2500-3000 rpm I had the motor out of the water on muffs and did not want to take the throttle to WOT. I had recently replaced the plugs, but I checked them again while I was checking the compression,they were fine and all were firing. At this point I am thinking about putting a new fuel pump on the motor I will be going with an electric marine pump made by holly.

I am wondering how you can be turning 3000 rpms and only going 8 mph....and only have a fuel delivery issue!!!!

bad bob

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Maybe I should do a youtube viedo of this, it seems like there is alot of intrest or questions. I have to see what I can do, should have the boat back in the water by this Saturday afternoon

Take a fire extinguisher.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Ken, they are law to have on a boat, now your just pokin at him! :D

But I get it!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Ken, they are law to have on a boat, now your just pokin at him! :D

But I get it!

I meant a really big one to keep on board because sooner or later I think it will be needed. Ever seen what happens when you pour gasoline on a fire ??? I am certain you have. On land you can at least run away.
May work once, may work twice, may work for a long time but the time it does not ??????
Scares me to think about it.
However that is just my opinion.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I used gasoline to light my campfires only cause I have the room to run when I toss it and cause I know I'm doing it, very bad as an unexpected event to say the least.

I think if the pressure was kept to a minimum and the pump was wired to a relay that only runs while the motor is running things would be ok. I'd almost want to go one step further and run braided lines as a safety. I think running what you did is even less painful, no electric involved, as they say- keep it simple stupid.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I used gasoline to light my campfires only cause I have the room to run when I toss it and cause I know I'm doing it, very bad as an unexpected event to say the least.

I think if the pressure was kept to a minimum and the pump was wired to a relay that only runs while the motor is running things would be ok. I'd almost want to go one step further and run braided lines as a safety. I think running what you did is even less painful, no electric involved, as they say- keep it simple stupid.

Yep, when the motor stops so does the fuel flow. Makes perfect sense to me.
Maybe I am missing something ??? however I don't think so.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

So am I, I think if the "safety" part of the equation is looked after by the owner then there is no worry. It's when things are rigged like electric fuel pumps with zero thought involved that's where the danger lies.

nate69

Cadet

a simple (on/off) circuit vac. switch..... to operate a set of sensing contacts that will complete the sensing circuit on the fuel pump relay. when the engine fails vac. switch will open, thus opening the sensing circuit circuit and killing power to the powering relay. On start-up use a toggle switch to override the powering relay.

This is my boat and my set-up, I am not the first to use an electric fuel pump in a marine application similar to my own. If the engine fails I would "know" to kill the power to the pump. But in the event that I forgot the vac. switch would do it for me.

Like I have said this may or may not work, so for those of you that "demand" that a fuel pump from and older engine model is the only way to go; hold your fire.