Temperature Alarm Sender

alanwp

Seaman Apprentice
Does a 4.3 GL PEFS have a dedicated high temperature alarm sensor? If so where on the engine is it located? The only temp. sensor I can see is on the thermostat housing and I believe it's for the gauge only.

Appreciate any help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Temperature Alarm Sender

Should have one. It should be on the front of the engine somewhere. Has a tan/black stripped wire going to it.

alanwp

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don: The harness diagram suggested the sender is back of the engine. If I can't find it at the front I'll get my eyes checked.

Alan

alanwp

Seaman Apprentice

The only temp. sensor I can see in front is on the thermostat housing. The other two sensors I have are for oil pressure switch and oil gauge. Any chance the thermostat sensor is dual station on 2000 4.3 PEFS?

Frustated - Alan

Don S

The only temp. sensor I can see in front is on the thermostat housing. The other two sensors I have are for oil pressure switch and oil gauge. Any chance the thermostat sensor is dual station on 2000 4.3 PEFS?

Frustated - Alan

If you mean can the one sensor do both, no. One is a simple on/off switch, the gauge sender is a variable resistor.

The alarm switch is on the front of every engine I have ever seen that had a temp alarm. Maybe on the manifold runner next to the thermostat housing, who knows. You're just going to have to keep looking. Maybe a previous owner took it off and cut the wire off.

alanwp

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don: I'm the original owner. In the past I've had one or two raw water pump impeller problems activating the alarm. Recently the alarm did not sound at overheat but it funtions OK at low oil pressure. Still trying to locate that darn sender! - Alan

Don S

Post some pictures of the front area of your motor, I can't see it from here to show you where it is.

alanwp

Seaman Apprentice

Don: Where can I find instructions for downloading images into a reply?

alanwp

Seaman Apprentice

EnginePicasa.jpgFrontPicasa.jpg

Don: Took these pictures of the engine front. Perhaps you can reference the sensor location from one of the features.

Thanks again - Alan