Transom repair- Need alternative to epoxy coating

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in the process of replacing the transom on a 14.5' Grumman Aluminum fishing boat. I am using 3/4" marine plywood (doubled up for 1.5" thick like it was). I bought some West system epoxy coating but the price was obscene (about $85 including the pumps). I have not used it yet and would like to return it and get something more reasonable. The marine plywood cost me $96 bucks alone. Can anyone recommend an alternative for less money than the West system epoxy? Thank you.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Transom repair- Need alternative to epoxy coating

USComposites:
Epoxy :?Epoxy Resins and Hardeners

$39.75 for the half gallon 635 thin with the 3:1 medium hardener, this kit is actually close to 3/4 gallon because you get 1/2 gallon of resin and 21 oz of hardener. With pumps and shipping it's about $55 depending on where you live.

You should be good for about 20 coats on your transom with the half gallon kit, a quart kit for $23.95 would probably do 3 or 4 coats on your transom.

If you're going to have plywood decking to seal too I suggest getting the half gallon kit... or it's fun stuff to play with around the house too. I stripped all of the exterior wood frames on my house last year and sealed the with 3 coats of this resin before painting them, shouldn't have to worry about them for a long time.

4 coats of this resin is like a sheet of glass between your wood and it's surroundings:

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

Polyester resin for about half the price.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Polyester resin for about half the price.

... but don't forget to add in the hazmat shipping charge and the CSM mat, polyester resin is worthless without mat or cloth to strengthen it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Or you could "Old School" it and soak/seal the wood with an equal mix of Boiled Linseed Oil, Mineral Spirits and Polyurethane Varnish. Saturate the wood until it pools and then wipe off the excess. Really soak it into the edges. Do both sides. Let it dry for 48 hrs. It takes some time and effort but BLO is HIGH in solids and when it drys these solids will really seal any voids in the wood and along with the Poly it really makes it very water resistant. I would then recommend finishing it off with 3-4 coats of Rustoleum Professional Oil Based paint. With proper care and maintenance it should last for decades.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Or you could "Old School" it and soak/seal the wood with an equal mix of Boiled Linseed Oil, Mineral Spirits and Polyurethane Varnish. Saturate the wood until it pools and then wipe off the excess. Really soak it into the edges. Do both sides. Let it dry for 48 hrs. It takes some time and effort but BLO is HIGH in solids and when it drys these solids will really seal any voids in the wood and along with the Poly it really makes it very water resistant. I would then recommend finishing it off with 3-4 coats of Rustoleum Professional Oil Based paint. With proper care and maintenance it should last for decades.

How much would enough of that stuff cost to do a transom?

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guess I will just bite the bullet and go with the west system epoxy . Anything special I need to know about using this? 2 coats? Screw holes too?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

BLO is about $25 bucks a gallon, Mineral Spirits is $10 bucks a gallon, Poly Varnish $30 a gallon. So...65 bucks for 3 Gallons. I'd guess-ti-mate a typical "Tinner" Transom would need about 1/2 Gallon Maximum. So a quart of each would be more than enuf to do the job. That would cost around $25 bucks not counting the paint and you'd have some left over. Epoxy needs to be painted as well.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

When you consider that good spar varnish is $ 30 + a quart stick with west. All you are looking for is a good sealer. Glas cloth is a real pain to work with and 2 3/4" ply clamped glued and screwed together is better than original to say the least!!! Good luck!

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Spar urethane is $30 a gallon or you can get a quart for $15.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How do you put on the spar? Just out of the can and nothing else?

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

4+ coats on the front and back and 6+ coats on the edges.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So there is nothing else to do or put on other than multiple coats of the spar? Do you still paint it after or not? Im half tempted to do just that and return this epoxy.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You can paint over it if you want or buy the exterior grade that has the UV protection and leave as is.

Understand though, Spar isn't nearly as tough and durable as epoxy... and in this case you do get what you pay for.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can paint over it if you want or buy the exterior grade that has the UV protection and leave as is.

Understand though, Spar isn't nearly as tough and durable as epoxy... and in this case you do get what you pay for.

I havent heard anything negative anywhere about spar. I know my factory transom didnt have any epoxy on it and it lasted 28 years. To me epoxy is hard, non flexing and shiny like a table. Doesnt sound like it would be ideal but then again if I knew, I wouldnt be asking.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

I have found that urethane doesn't hold up well in direct sun. It is also dificult to bond repainted layers over the years of use. Cheap varnish is just that... don't use it. Bond and screw the 2 pieces with the west system After cure sand and coat with 4 to 6 coats of good Spar varnish. My 1961 14' Starcraft was outside all of it's life and although it had some soft spots on it, it was still plenty strong!!!

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used titebond ultimate waterproof wood glue and screws to put the 2 pieces together. Now I will stain will minwax oil based stain, then 4 coats of spar urethane (oil based). Im not sold on the West system outside coating, I dont want it shiny like glass.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So there is nothing else to do or put on other than multiple coats of the spar? Do you still paint it after or not? Im half tempted to do just that and return this epoxy.
I'll be doing several coats of Rustoluem professional enamel over the spar.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The helmsman spar urethane says on the can to put the stain down before the spar, then multiple coats. Not sure about painting afterwards??