NE1 done "application for a boat HIN" in NYS

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wondering if anyone has done the whole process and if this will work for an old 1971 boat with no paperwork.
Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: NE1 done "application for a boat HIN" in NYS

HIN's were NOT required in 1972 so they do not exist.

How do I get a hull identification number (HIN)?

If you have a boat that does not have a hull identification number (HIN), you must get one before you can register the boat if:

you made the boat
you got a boat that was manufactured after November 1, 1972.
You can get an application form from the DMV or from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP). Send the completed form to the OPRHP. The OPRHP arranges your boat inspection for you. Visit the OPRHP web site.

It's just a paperwork exercise but you must go through it :(

JoLin

Vice Admiral

No need to anticipate problems up front. You'll find out soon enough if there are any...

Who knows? Maybe this is the thing that somebody at DMV actually knows how to do!

:D

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

HIN's were NOT required in 1972 so they do not exist.

How do I get a hull identification number (HIN)?

If you have a boat that does not have a hull identification number (HIN), you must get one before you can register the boat if:

you made the boat
you got a boat that was manufactured after November 1, 1972.
You can get an application form from the DMV or from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP). Send the completed form to the OPRHP. The OPRHP arranges your boat inspection for you. Visit the OPRHP web site.

It's just a paperwork exercise but you must go through it :(

I need to correct myself the boat is a 1971. So it does not meet either of your above parameters. It does have a serial number. Looking to get some type of registration before i do any work on it, let's consider it a found boat. OPRHP does not address pre 1972 boats, I believe. Thanks for info and quick response.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Then you are even better then you think.... I hate to use these words but :) just anticipate a "typical" NY DMV trip...... being originally from NY myself that is just as bad as telling someone to jump off a cliff!:p You have my sympathy;)

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

It took the NYS DMV about ten months to issue numbers for a mid-60's restoration that my brother found in a barn. The boat had no manufacturer's ID at all, so he started from nothing.

He dealt with someone at the local office who was a great help.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Do a tracing of the serial number. Provide a bill of sale from the previous owner. Take a picture of the registration numbers. You must go in to the DMV office.

They will issue you a Nontransferrable registration. If the current numbers are from another state, they will issue you a new NY number. All the paperwork goes to Albany and after they research the provenance, they will reissue a transferrable reg.

That's if they follow their own rules. But the NY DMV sometimes makes their own rules as they go.