19 something Starcraft Star Trek

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
As some of you already know I went after another Starcraft today. I was hoping for another SS but it turned out to be a Star Trek. It's an outboard model and rated for an 85hp motor. I think a 90hp 'rude would be good. It was pretty well gutted already, the floor was completely gone. The transom was totally shot. The PO took a grinder and cutoff wheel to the bolts holding the transom in and cut into the transom skin. I'm not sure how I will fix this yet.

And now for some pics.

Side view.

2013-03-29_12-53-33_825.jpg

Damage from the PO cutting bolts off, there are several like this.

2013-03-29_12-53-59_628.jpg

Even cut into the drain tube, this might be a tricky fix.

2013-03-29_12-54-10_571.jpg

Transom totally shot.

2013-03-29_12-54-16_970.jpg

2013-03-29_12-54-51_293.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: 19 something Starcraft Star Trek

dynamite would've been more surgical! :eek:

"Fire in the Hull!"

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Broken transom knee brace.

2013-03-29_13-16-41_113.jpg

Empty hull.

2013-03-29_12-53-43_579.jpg

Paint needs some TLC.

2013-03-29_12-53-51_662.jpg

I did get the splashwell taken off.

2013-03-29_13-16-29_153.jpg

Took the transom (if you even wanted to call it that) out as well.

2013-03-29_13-24-48_294.jpg

She needs alot of TLC. I think the hotsy pressure washer at work will get most of that blue latex paint off. It is an olive green color underneath. I picked it up for $350, I didn't think that was to bad. Trailer is in good shape with newer tires.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice score!

What's all the red on the bottom of the hull inside? House paint too?

Any thoughts yet on an interior plan or plan to keep SWMBO happy w/ yet another SC?
rant.gif

Unless we're still in covert mode, then apologies, & hope the Admiral didn't get wind of my faux pas ^^^

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My PO's PO also used a grinder to remove some of the transom through bolts. He obviously had more skill because my grinding marks barely show. Maybe Bwana Don will have some tips using the aluminum rods to repair some of those.

Over all, she looks like the PO started to re-do an older re-do. From the looks of her, you performed a rescue. And just in time!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great hull, sweet deal, awesome score, fist bump Drew!:thumb:

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Nice score!

What's all the red on the bottom of the hull inside? House paint too?

Any thoughts yet on an interior plan or plan to keep SWMBO happy w/ yet another SC?
rant.gif

Unless we're still in covert mode, then apologies, & hope the Admiral didn't get wind of my faux pas ^^^

The red paint seems to be house paint as well. I'm not sure on interior plan yet but I'm thinking a single side console with a casting deck up front.

My PO's PO also used a grinder to remove some of the transom through bolts. He obviously had more skill because my grinding marks barely show. Maybe Bwana Don will have some tips using the aluminum rods to repair some of those.

Over all, she looks like the PO started to re-do an older re-do. From the looks of her, you performed a rescue. And just in time!

I'm thinking it might be easier to get a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum and put it over the outer skin to cover it up.

Great hull, sweet deal, awesome score, fist bump Drew!:thumb:

Thanks Jason. Let me know if you find a cheap, delapitated glasser with a 90hp Evinrude on it, prefer '84 and up. The cheaper it is, the bigger the finders fee :D

GA_Boater

I'm thinking it might be easier to get a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum and put it over the outer skin to cover it up.

That's not a bad idea. Just a large transom pad.

64osby

Admiral

^^^ Agreed And a little jb weld to the drain fitting.Some people should NEVER use power tools.

GA_Boater

Some people should never use tools. Period!

dozerII

Admiral

Boy you don't mess around Drew, two Starcrafts in as many weeks and both gutted to the rebuild stage.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

^^^ Agreed And a little jb weld to the drain fitting.Some people should NEVER use power tools.

I'm going to see about just replacing the drain tube. They cut through the transom skin in that spot to.

Some people should never use tools. Period!

I agree.

Seriously guys, I'm right here, I can totally hear you ya know:mad::facepalm:

Shoot Drew, demo looks about done there, not even a day, nice:thumb:

It wasn't to hard. It was 90% gutted to begin with.

Boy you don't mess around Drew, two Starcrafts in as many weeks and both gutted to the rebuild stage.

Gutting them is the easy part, putting them back together is the most time consuming. The paint part will take the most time.

InMotion

Commander

Nice find man! Ya, it needs a little work.... funny that it would have been in a lot better condition if the PO HADN'T touched.... go figure! Looks like most is cosmetic... the drain tube area is a little more troublesome. Worst case I suppose you can get it welded... or go crazy and JB it, 5200 it, then cover it with a little piece of alum on the inside that is 5200'd to act as a plate as well!
....Or just drive really fast! :D

Either way, no doubt you'll find a workable solution!

So... which one takes priority now.... :)

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Neither one is really a priority. I will probably work on the SS more for now.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I think I'm going to media blast this hull. All the house paint has to come off anyway. I already have a 110lb blaster and big tow behind air compressor. It should be alot quicker than using paint stripper.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Why am I picturing a guy with lil hands and t-rex arms working the angle grinder... also drunk, must of been drunk with iddy biddy hands and arms.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Why am I picturing a guy with lil hands and t-rex arms working the angle grinder... also drunk, must of been drunk with iddy biddy hands and arms.

Thats to funny.

I think I figured out a solution for the drain plug fitting. I'll cut it completely out and put my big sheet over the back of the transom. Then I'll drill a hole and get one of the fittings that are held in by screws from seasense or the like. I only lost a few hours of sleep thinking of how to repair this :D

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I did a little sanding on the star trek today to see how well the blue paint would come off. I think this is going to be the route I will take since it is going faster then stripping the paint would. This is especially true given the 2-3 layers of paint. This will be my project for the week. I wll still need to use some stripper to get some huge globs of carpet glue off on the inside.

2013-04-07_12-26-57_639.jpg

I hope everybody is having a great weekend. To bad tomorrow is monday already.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Have you read thru InMotion's Jet thread @ the cheap Safe Strip hull paint stripping? Low cost, low effort. Paint it on thick & leave it the better part of the day. Takes the factory vinyl paint off too........