19 something Starcraft Star Trek

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 19 something Starcraft Star Trek

Have you read thru InMotion's Jet thread @ the cheap Safe Strip hull paint stripping? Low cost, low effort. Paint it on thick & leave it the better part of the day. Takes the factory vinyl paint off too........

Ive used stripper before but I think the sanding will go faster. I only have about 15 minutes in what I did today. I might strip the bottom due to all the rivets. They can be tough to sand around.

InMotion

Commander

Have you read thru InMotion's Jet thread @ the cheap Safe Strip hull paint stripping? Low cost, low effort. Paint it on thick & leave it the better part of the day. Takes the factory vinyl paint off too........

Yup... really does work. Quick and A LOT less mess and effort than sanding. Put it to you this way... I won't sand again. Still cleaning up from JI sanding debacle!

But as they say... to each their own! :)

J.

64osby

Admiral

I've been doing the wire wheel and started to sand down low on my little tinny. Since the weather is getting warmer I will be looking to flip and use stripper on the bottom.

I'm thinking it will be much easier, faster and a lot less messy. That Safe Strip looks like a winner to me.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Im definatly going to strip the bottom. Ill see how the rest goes.

I may have found a motor for it as well. Its a 90 hp merc. He thinks its a late 80s or early 90s. I was hoping for a 'rude but the price is way to good to pass up. Im probably going to go take a look tomorrow after work.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I went and looked at that donor boat. His 89 boat turned out to be a 77 and his 90s motor turned out to be a mid 70s. It does come with a parts 115 motor. Both of them havs power TNT. Im still going to pick it up as there is a lot of money to be had parting it out if I decide on a different motor.

Im going to go pick it up wednesday morning. I would have brought it home tonight but didnt feel like pulling it 40 miles home in the dark with no trailer lights.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Boat/motor, 90's, give or take 20 years:rolleyes:

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Boat/motor, 90's, give or take 20 years:rolleyes:

Ya, I had a feeling it was older. He didn't seem to much about it. The good news is there's about 1500 to be had in parts if neither of the motors check out. That would go a long ways towards boat funding.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I got a quote today to get the inside of the boat blasted. There is alot of paint and glue on the inside that would take forever to strip down. They quoted me $275. It would save me alot of time doing it this way. This would just be for the inside. I plan on just sanding and stripping the outside since theres really no need to take it all the way down to bare aluminum. I just need to get the blue paint off and scuff up the original paint.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

However, once they already have the thing and the blaster is in their hand.....how much extra to do the outside as well?

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

It would be 500-550 to do the whole thing. I might call around a bit and compare prices.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I went and got that donor today. I had to get up at 5 so I could meet him. It was a short night considering I didn't get to bed till 12.

The 90hp is a 79, so it already has electronic ignition. The 115 is a bit older as it still has a distributor. The distributor alone is worth almost $200 on ebay. There was no key with it so I will have to get a new ignition switch so I can do a compression check on it. Hopefully it all checks out. It did come with a brand new 21 pitch stainless prop.

The glasser is completely rotten, typical of any 70s Glastron.

2013-04-10_08-15-49_763.jpg

2013-04-10_08-16-59_82.jpg

2013-04-10_09-10-41_16.jpg

2013-04-10_08-25-26_80.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Pics of the donor, her fate isn't looking so good :D

2013-04-10_08-15-54_994.jpg

2013-04-10_09-10-30_182.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cool Merc towers. Stainless prop........Nice :D Those Glastrons were sharp but built like garbage.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Cool Merc towers. Stainless prop........Nice :D Those Glastrons were sharp but built like garbage.

I'm thinking the boat will be black/white and maybe partially bare to match the tower. Those Glastrons were poorly built.

Bye bye nasty glasser:painkiller:

:D just need to pull all the goodies off and haul her away.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great score on the motors!

barato2

Commander

a glasser slain
tinheaddom's gain

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Pics of the donor, her fate isn't looking so good :D

:rockon:

Great find btw! I'm partial to OMCs but certainly wouldn't turn down a tower of power! very cool engines that can reallly make a boat "pop" once restored!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good thing about glassers getting recycled is all the neat things that can be made out of the residue. I'll come back with a list of all the recycled FG fun things. :watermelon:

Good parts money sitting there, BN. Just jump the solenoid to spin it for compression check.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Good parts money sitting there, BN. Just jump the solenoid to spin it for compression check.

I picked up a jumper so I can test it. The only problem is its hard to get a compression gauge on the bottom cylinder but ill figure it out.

I need to get the starter put back on the 115 so I can test compression on that as well. Hopefully they are both good. It would be an awesome deal then.

The only problem im going to have if both motors are good is that ill want to put them both on, side by side. :D