transom repair

gman1192

Recruit
I have replaced the part of my transom that was rotting with new wood and I laid 3 coats of fiberglass on the transom is there any thing I should do to it before I put on the motor?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: transom repair

Uhhmm... Just the parts that were rotting??? Three coats of fiberglass?? Did you use Mat or cloth? Pics are really needed for us to give further advice. What boat?

gman1192

Recruit

I use the mat and its an 80`s model sabre and the transom was rotten in a 3 foot section so i scraped it out dried it really good and placed new wood sealed it wit epoxy the i put my fiberglass

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I use the mat and its an 80`s model sabre and the transom was rotten in a 3 foot section so i scraped it out dried it really good and placed new wood sealed it wit epoxy the i put my fiberglass

Easy now guys......:)

LK

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I have replaced the part of my transom that was rotting with new wood and I laid 3 coats of fiberglass on the transom is there any thing I should do to it before I put on the motor?

You should post pics of your boat and repair work for the best advice, we can't tell if you need to do anything else with just a verbal description... and your verbal description sounds like you did it wrong, so we really need to see some pictures.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Partial repairs on a rotting transom are never a good idea, IMHO. It is such an integral part of the boat that if a substantial part of it is rotting then the entire transom needs to be replaced. Very small "SPOTS" can be repaired but it sounds to me like yours was fairly significant. As I stated previously, you need to post Pics. They will tell the tale!