Too old for water sking???

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Too old for water sking???

My dad is in his 60's and ski's. It would be weird if he didn't. He is seriously a freak of good human genes so age has very little to do with it. I maybe got 10% of those athletic genes and I can't imagine having gone through life with 100% of his athletic abilities.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Just poking around and found this thread. It's good to see so many people who keep on skiing in their sixties and even beyond that.

I'm just past 60 and still ski once in a while. My son, who is half my age, used to barefoot but now he can't even get up on one ski; he has to drop it after getting underway. It makes me feel good, and makes him feel bad, when I get up on one ski, first try.:D

Someone posted a pic of one of those chairs on skis and claims that they are easy to learn. I've seen those at the lake and think that they look dangerous. There seems to be a lot of potential for getting tangled up with the gear, hit on the head, etc. Maybe I'm wrong.

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class

58 and still ski every summer:D have to show the young bucks the old man can still go a round or two.

a70eliminator

Captain

Hi I am Thomas.
I'm not ashamed to admit, I'm 37 yrs old and stay away from it, the last time was a couple years ago and I was sore for 3 days. Now my older sister @53 is gung ho. My mom is 81 and well I wouldn't let her but She was willing.

Hi I am Eddie
You just quoted my exact words from post #2 ?
Whats up with that?

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just got our Boat a week ago and I haven't salomon water ski for 15 years. I don't think at 41 Im to old to get back into this sport. My wife says "nobody salomon ski anymore, thats old school" Is this true? Will I look like a fool salomon skiing because everyone else wakes boards. I'm going to tube first so I get use to being towed behind a boat again.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nope, slalom first. In fact, if you have kids like mine, you should do what I am not man enough to do -- that is put holes in all your tubes! That is all the kids want to do.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My uncle is 64. He skis every Saturday morning with a couple other older guys. And these guys are hard-core, they have wet suits and go even when it's cold. When they are done, they drink scotch :)

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nope, slalom first. In fact, if you have kids like mine, you should do what I am not man enough to do -- that is put holes in all your tubes! That is all the kids want to do.

Thank you,

bfree84

Recruit

I'm 44 and love slalom skiing more than ever! A decent ski with double boots makes all the difference. Like the previous posts, I can't get my kids interested in skiing either. Wakeboarding is OK, but just not as fun for me. Don't quit skiing just because you have some candles on the cake.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm 44 and love slalom skiing more than ever! A decent ski with double boots makes all the difference. Like the previous posts, I can't get my kids interested in skiing either. Wakeboarding is OK, but just not as fun for me. Don't quit skiing just because you have some candles on the cake.

I should show my wife your post. She thinks Slalom skiing is old school.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm 46 soon to be 47 and I slalom about every weekend, I love to throw up spray and jump that wake! I just never got into the Wakeboard thing and My kids slalom as well as wakeboard. Yeah I know I'm old school my wife thinks so too!

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm 34 and have no plans on slowing down anytime soon. I have a friend that is 46, 5'6" and 190lbs of nothing but muscle looks like he is 30 and still loves to ski as well. I say as long as your knees and back will keep you up, your not too old :)

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

A good friend of mine is 51 and skiing with an ex tournament skier. He gets better all the time albiet at a slower pace than in the old days!

mphy98

Lieutenant

I am 56 and will still try every now and then. Just sore in places I didn't know I could get sore in for a few days later!!! :eek:

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm sure the soreness will go away after a few days.

Ok for me I haven't salome ski in 15 years and about to get back into it. Im in ok shape and 41yr but I do have six pack abs :D. Anyway is there any work out routines I should be doing prior to starting up water skiing this Summer?

basstracker219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm 46 soon to be 47 and I slalom about every weekend, I love to throw up spray and jump that wake! I just never got into the Wakeboard thing and My kids slalom as well as wakeboard. Yeah I know I'm old school my wife thinks so too!

never too old;)

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will be 46 in may I usually start the season with a ski on my birthday. Hope I can celebrate many more that way:cool::cool:

chris75h

Seaman

My grandfather is 92 and he slalom ski'd til he was 86. The only reason he stopped is because my grandmother couldn't turn her head anymore to see him and didn't want to drive anymore. Otherwise he has said he would still be on the water. They live on the lake and he still swims laps around the bouy every day with a Schlitz in his hand. He swears Schlitz is the key to his good health.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My grandfather is 92 and he slalom ski'd til he was 86. The only reason he stopped is because my grandmother couldn't turn her head anymore to see him and didn't want to drive anymore. Otherwise he has said he would still be on the water. They live on the lake and he still swims laps around the bouy every day with a Schlitz in his hand. He swears Schlitz is the key to his good health.

Got to go get me some Schlitz to try.
Sounds like quite a guy.
My Father is 87 this June and although not skiing is active driving our boat, tubing and fishing with the grandchildren. He has a tot of whiskey every day.

CPTN Chris

Recruit

Nah, I don't ever think you are to old to ski unless you are not willing to do it! Or if you are extremely out of shape.