1979 Mon Ark Build

Hey everyone new here to IBOATS glad im here i have had some hick ups thus far with my build but found help here with reading threads so i figured i would join and start my own project thread. I bought this boat through a freind for next to nothing, the motor was supposed to run but no one was exactly sure. This is the pictures of the boat when i was in the process of bringing it home.
View attachment 178958
View attachment 178957
View attachment 178956
View attachment 178954

This is what i have done this far to the flooring.

Re: 1979 Mon Ark Build

Got the cables ordered as well should have them in by Wedensday. Trying to get my gas tank fittings all lined up so that i can run my fuel line. Started my wiring for the lights on the boat going to try and get a switch panel from parts store today to make things a little less clustered.

i dont know why they arent working i tried multiple time to get them on here....so i emailed the administrator hopefully they can help

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Prolly to big. iBoats like 640x480 Free Photobucket account will get the job done. Use the IMG Code to paste em into your iBoats post.

IMG_0938_zps85d1c2aa.jpg

IMG_0939_zpsf23d2265.jpg

test hopefully one them work

IMG_0940_zps34aec1bc.jpg

IMG_0941_zpsa2ac044e.jpg

got the floor rhino lined...used the stuff in the spray can....my suggestion dont use it...its a pain the quilty is ok not very rough but adds some texture, the one issue i ran into was that the paint seems to run out of the can after exstensive use.

IMG_0951_zps9f3a4379.jpg

13 gallon fuel cell mounted....had to improvise the pick up line because the fitting broke off.
IMG_0961_zps91e35e27.jpg

had to remove the lower unit because i thought i new what i was doing changing the lower unit oil.....well i pulled out the pivot pin instead now im going to have to send it to the shop to get it fixed because i cant line it back up.
IMG_0959_zpsdb6b24b5.jpg

someone welded these supports from the seats to the top of the transom, i guess to support it since the wood is rotten....looks like a replacement is in need.....
IMG_0958_zps11b1a005.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That black hull bottom is going to be H-O-T this summer, and in case you don't know it yet... rhino liner doesn't stop leaks.

Visit the Evinrude motor forum before you take that motor to the shop, the guys over there can probably help you put that thing back together pretty easy... and you probably need to drop the foot to change the impeller anyway.

You should check your boat for leaks, put 4 or 5" of water in it with the garden hose and look underneath for leaks.

You can put the rigid pink or blue sheet foam between the ribs on the "floor" and then cut plywood to lay on top and screw or rivet it down for a wooden deck.

Cut that transom brace junk off and replace your transom wood the proper way.

Maybe you'll catch some nice fish out of that boat this summer.

Ya black rhino lining is not the final coloring, i plan on laying tan over the black and green up the walls. The rhino lining was to get a texture for the flooring. I dont want to do a wood floor i plan on using the boat for bow fishing, running jug lines and doing a little bass fishing. I have filled the boat up with about 4 inches of water no leaks, i bought the boat from a buddy and he used it quite a bit prior to it sitting up. I was looking at replacing the transom the only issue i have run into is how to fill the holes from the rivets that im going to have to remove to get the transom in. After i replace the transom i have been looking around the local steel supplies for some 2x2 angle and either expanded or sheet all in aluminum for a front deck eleuvated 12 inches, that measures 54x56. That way you can get two shoots on top. Just the plans that i have in my head. The boat it self measures out and 15'9" length X 54" bottom X 22" tall sides the boat at its most widest point is about 73". Dont think im going to have an issue with tipping...

Hmmm didnt realize that it was such a simple task! Thank you for opening my eyes on that! LOL

I havent tried scrap yards or recycle center yet.....that might be a good idea just cuz thus far a sheet of aluminum out right is going to run about 200.

So i took the lower unit to my local boat mechanic....he wobbled it around for two seconds and gott er lined up! Crazy i tried for a week. Any ways got herput all back together...didnt realize this when i picked it up that it is missing the air filter. Does the air filter on a two stroke act as some for of back pressure?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

So i took the lower unit to my local boat mechanic....he wobbled it around for two seconds and gott er lined up! Crazy i tried for a week. Any ways got herput all back together...didnt realize this when i picked it up that it is missing the air filter. Does the air filter on a two stroke act as some for of back pressure?

Before you run out and buy an air filter for your motor read this:

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/outboard-air-filter-air-cleaner-449920.html

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

hmm ok well that raises an eyebrowl....so i might have an jetting issue then....motor is getting to much air.

Typical of a motor that has setup too long without running, your carb(s) need cleaning/rebuilding.

well got in cleaned out and looking spiffy! now i have to take the lower unit down again dont think i lined the water pick up tube up right......or i did something wrong the water pump isnt pushing water through the motor.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You should seriously consider changing the impeller while you're there, about $20 and it's cheap insurance.

Lots of vids on youtube to watch to show you how to do it.

Ya i tore it down last week and the impeller looked fine no dry rotting, tears, cracks.....but i guess is see what your saying though might as well do it since im already there