Minn Kota for scuba scooter....

divepig

Cadet
Hi all!
First post here. This looks like a great forum! I have a 36lb thrust trolling motor that I want to use for a dive scooter. I know they aren't designed for this use but I've used them before with success. I have not however taken one apart. I'm envisioning springs and gears flying all over when I loosen the two bolts in the back.
I want to remove the front part with the fin and the shaft, and graft the remaining section onto an aluminum part that I'm greensand casting. I can supply pics if needed.
Aside from telling me this won't work or is a bad idea, any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Harrison

divepig

Cadet
Re: Minn Kota for scuba scooter....

I think I need to clarify. How is the front "nose cone" attached? When I loosen the two bolts in the back, does everything come apart easily or is the front glued on?
When these are taken apart do all of the seals need to be replaced?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think I need to clarify. How is the front "nose cone" attached? When I loosen the two bolts in the back, does everything come apart easily or is the front glued on?
When these are taken apart do all of the seals need to be replaced?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I suspect that the front nose cone contains your thrust bearing. Also, how will you seal the wire inputs into the housing? I would expect that the front is sealed with an o-ring, but I do not know for sure. My dad took one apart several years ago, and I don't think we had any issues as far as getting it apart. We took it apart to fix the electric portion of the drive. I know that even after we put it back together, we got very poor RPMs out of it. Also, the magnets were not particularly well secured, and were a hassle to get back in correctly. Sorry I can't be more help. Let us know after you pull yours apart<grin>.

Good luck,
TerryMSU

divepig

Cadet

Hi Terry,
Thanks so much for your info. In this case I'm casting a part from aluminum that has a hole just larger than the diameter of the housing. I will attach this with liberal amounts of epoxy. This part is funnel shaped and increases the diameter to fit into 8" pvc. That connection will be o-ring sealed. All of the wiring as well as the front end of the housing will be inside the cast piece. I will either put a bulkhead between the batteries and motor, or use a catylator to absorb any hydrogen.
Thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Harrison

Huron Angler

Admiral

I have some experience with Minn Kota's and you've got me curious...lets see some pictures of what you have in mind:D

BTW cheap dive scooters cost about the same as trolling motors, so you always have that to fall back on.

divepig

Cadet

Ok I'll get together pics tomorrow. Yes you're right about the cheap dive scooters. I have one and it's very loud, not very fast, and not recommended for more than 65 ft. depth.
For this project I'm scavenging some parts from a friends flooded unit (the prop shroud and maybe the reed switches).
My goal (aside from the fun of building it) is to have a rig that functions at recreational depths, is faster and quieter than the Seados and not spend a thousand dollars. Also it needs to look very cool (of course!).

divepig

Cadet

Ok here's the basic idea. Let me know if you can't read the attachments. I now have the motor out and can see the brushes (I think?). I loosened the two studs in the bottom but haven't removed them all the way yet. The magnets are making it difficult!

Attachments

• scooter scan.jpg
    scooter scan.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
  • MINN-SCOOTA 1.JPG
    MINN-SCOOTA 1.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 0