Free anti-virus software for WINDOWS 7

WIMUSKY

Staff member
LOL. The title looks like I'm a spammer..... I just got a call from my mother looking for anti-virus software. Free being key. She's not very computer savy. I know AVG is out there. Any other recommendations? Whatever she uses, I may have to deal with it at Christmas when we visit...:facepalm:

matt167

Captain
Re: Free anti-virus software for WINDOWS 7

I just use Avast. Automatic scanning, definition updating, and when the version update comes, just click download.. It is also registered with an Email annually, but it's perfect for a non computer savy person. Free version does everything I'v ever needed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I used to use Avast and it missed stuff. Now use Nod32 by Eset.

Splat

Lieutenant

I use the free stuff offered direct from Microsoft's website. Free updates, and runs very light in the background. When in started using it I read lots of reviews and it was highly recommended. The though process was along the lines that Microsoft keeps it updated and offers a good product free so people will use it, and not blame issues of viruses on the windows operating system.

Bill

bigdee

Commander

LOL. She's not very computer savy. :

Even with protection she is vulnerable it would be chancy for her to click on the wrong thing or open an attachment. With windows she is vulnerable but with Linux these issues go away. Older people are easy targets.

matt167

Captain

Linux is actually less secure than windows, but fewer people know the loopholes. Just like Mac. That said, 99% of the time I use PCLOS 2012, which is a very nice/ complete version of Linux that just plain works.

bigdee

Commander

Linux is actually less secure than windows, but fewer people know the loopholes. Just like Mac. That said, 99% of the time I use PCLOS 2012, which is a very nice/ complete version of Linux that just plain works.

I don't know whether this is so or not BUT I do know that the chances of getting a virus or malware with Linux is almost nil. If a unsuspecting user opens an infected attachment with Linux there is no danger except forwarding it on to a windows user. There are too many scammers and spammers that are using MS to target and trick senior people. I hear of countless episodes of people getting infected or losing their identity because they did not know what they clicked on.

matt167

Captain

Right, that's what applications like ClamAv are for, just to keep a virus from forwarding to a Windows machine.. More people know windows than Linux/Mac so the common viruses are programmed with windows in mind

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Thanks for the replies. For now, I installed Microsoft Security Essentials on "my" computer. I have a '06 DELL which would be considered ancient by today's standards. I think it came with McAfee. A few years ago, or so, we swapped it out with Norton. I finally came to the end of my rope and removed it due to it being resource intensive. Figured Security Essentials was a quick way to get virus protection for now.

So far, so good. My system is a lot quicker w/o Norton.......

Moody Blue

Captain

I've used AVG for many years (since about 1998 I think) and I highly recommend it. I have it running on two DELL laptops and on a DELL workstation. My two sons use the same AVG on their laptops as well. Always been reliable and have NEVER encountered a virus in that time. I also run ZoneAlarm firewall software. Both free and highly recommended.

NYBo

Admiral

I use AVG Free 2013 on most of my computers, but installed Microsoft Security Essentials on one of them yesterday. AVG is great; the jury is still out on the Microsoft product.

coreybv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All antivirus software sucks in one way or another, especially if you use the "real time" protection.

I've tried pretty much all of them, and the least objectionable seem to be Comodo and Vipre. Although I'm not sure Vipre has a free option anymore.

The best virus protection is a good firewall and education.

coreybv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the jury is still out on the Microsoft product.

My impression was that it's a huge resource hog. I've had two cases so far of people having me look at their laptops because they were running slow and found the culprit to be MS anti-malware sucking up over 80% of the CPU for 10 minutes or more at a time.

oldjeep

Admiral

My impression was that it's a huge resource hog. I've had two cases so far of people having me look at their laptops because they were running slow and found the culprit to be MS anti-malware sucking up over 80% of the CPU for 10 minutes or more at a time.

That would be very unusual, it has been transparent on any machine that I've used. I find it interesting that you like Vipre - our company had to dump it because it was killing the performance on our machines.

I use MS security essentials on all of our home machines now and Forefront on my work machine. I used to use a paid version of AVG, but their latest version is horribly slow.

coreybv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I find it interesting that you like Vipre - our company had to dump it because it was killing the performance on our machines.

Yeah, they went through a couple of versions where the performance was really bad. Before and after that period, though, I found it to be pretty good.

Anymore, though, I don't run any antivirus on a regular basis. I have my firewalls properly configured, and use some common sense. Prevents viruses better than any software, and doesn't have the performance hit.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Thanks for the advice and the links. My mother is using Kaspersky, never heard of it. I guess they bought it when they purchased their computer. Not sure if it's working. Anytime she tries to open it, it errors. Since I have XP and she has Win 7, I have no idea how to walk her thru the process of checking to see if she currently has virus protection over the phone. Probably could figure it out if I was at her computer, which is 3 hrs away.

So far so good with MS security essentials. Detected 12 viruses. 2 were adware and 10 having a severe risk alert. 2 being trojans. Removed all of them.

I wouldn't say MS security essentials is a resource hog. As soon as I removed Norton, which is, I was flying around the forums. Still am with MS security essentials. So far I like it. Maybe Norton was catching the same stuff, but just wasn't telling me.......

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have been using trend micro PC cillian. Its a full package products for mm 15 years, but it is a pay program, but it is very low recorce usage and once installed you can forget its there it just works.