Free anti-virus software for WINDOWS 7

ArielP

Recruit
Re: Free anti-virus software for WINDOWS 7

I think you should try Unthreat Antivirus, it's a free antivirus and it doesn't slow down my computer while running as scan. I haven't had a virus since I downloaded it. Good luck with your mother!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

That article wasn't exactly promising. they recommended avast and avg, however, bruce had issues with avast.

Logmein, eh? Now that's an idea! Not sure ma would like the idea. She wont even give me her password because "they" tell you not to give it to anyone.... I feel like my mom thinks I'm still 5 years old....... Whaddya do......... She just needs to add a "0" to that 5....lol

beardeddone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice and the links. My mother is using Kaspersky, never heard of it. I guess they bought it when they purchased their computer. Not sure if it's working. Anytime she tries to open it, it errors. Since I have XP and she has Win 7, I have no idea how to walk her thru the process of checking to see if she currently has virus protection over the phone. Probably could figure it out if I was at her computer, which is 3 hrs away.

So far so good with MS security essentials. Detected 12 viruses. 2 were adware and 10 having a severe risk alert. 2 being trojans. Removed all of them.

I wouldn't say MS security essentials is a resource hog. As soon as I removed Norton, which is, I was flying around the forums. Still am with MS security essentials. So far I like it. Maybe Norton was catching the same stuff, but just wasn't telling me.......

I have used Kaspersky for several years now and it is not free, I buy the 3 license version for our 3 machines and so far we have not been shut down or destroyed because of a virus or Trojan, and for piece of mind a very good firewall, if the 30 day trial has ran out it will error out as you call it warning you it has and is disabled with all kinds of warnings, a way to get you to buy the license I presume..

The other issue is being 3 hours away why not both of you install a program called teamviewer as this program allows you to be on her computer from your house as though you were on hers, I have used it many many times and works great for trouble shooting others machines..This program also has a built in chat, to communicate back and forth.

Just a thought..

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The problem with teamviewer is that the person on the other side has to be a little bit savvy in order to start teamviewer, share their screen and then allow you to have control where logmein just lets you go in and do your thing.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Let's talk MSE. Last nite MS had a security update which auto booted my system. Since the auto boot I'm getting a security alert that I have no virus protection. I look at the Windows Security Center and it shows the Firewall is on, Auto Update is on and Virus Protection is off. I run my mouse over the MSE icon and it shows PC Status: Protected. I bring up MSE, Realtime protection is on and Virus and Spyware definitions: Up to Date. When I initially loaded MSE, Virus Protection went to "ON". What gives? I'm using XP.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Let's talk MSE. Last nite MS had a security update which auto booted my system. Since the auto boot I'm getting a security alert that I have no virus protection. I look at the Windows Security Center and it shows the Firewall is on, Auto Update is on and Virus Protection is off. I run my mouse over the MSE icon and it shows PC Status: Protected. I bring up MSE, Realtime protection is on and Virus and Spyware definitions: Up to Date. When I initially loaded MSE, Virus Protection went to "ON". What gives? I'm using XP.

I only run XP at home and on my laptop. I run AVG free, and Zonealarms (also free). AVG has caught a few viruses that Norton missed, so it's a big 'thumbs DOWN' for Norton, same with McAfee. My wife and mother (72 years old) also run XP, with the same protection package. Neither of them have had a problem. It auto-updates, and when it needs to re-boot, it is polite and asks. On one of my machines I decided to check out a paid virus program, Avast!.... I'll be going back to the free AVG when the subscription expires on it.

All the machines I work on at work are Windows 7, running MS Essentials. WHAT A PAIN IN THE REAR!!! Mid-way through entering a logging file the machine up and re-boots, no asking, no saving your work, just "I'm Microsoft and I'm re-booting your machine, too bad if it's inconvenient". If it were down to me, I'd be kicking Essentials off and putting AVG on...

JMHO,

Chris.......

beardeddone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I only run XP at home and on my laptop. I run AVG free, and Zonealarms (also free). AVG has caught a few viruses that Norton missed, so it's a big 'thumbs DOWN' for Norton, same with McAfee. My wife and mother (72 years old) also run XP, with the same protection package. Neither of them have had a problem. It auto-updates, and when it needs to re-boot, it is polite and asks. On one of my machines I decided to check out a paid virus program, Avast!.... I'll be going back to the free AVG when the subscription expires on it.

All the machines I work on at work are Windows 7, running MS Essentials. WHAT A PAIN IN THE REAR!!! Mid-way through entering a logging file the machine up and re-boots, no asking, no saving your work, just "I'm Microsoft and I'm re-booting your machine, too bad if it's inconvenient". If it were down to me, I'd be kicking Essentials off and putting AVG on...

JMHO,

Chris.......

I suspect that you may still have your startup recovery checked in the control panel under system properties in the advanced tab, just uncheck that in the settings if you have access to change that. XP and Win7 installs with this set to default to automatically restart.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I suspect that you may still have your startup recovery checked in the control panel under system properties in the advanced tab, just uncheck that in the settings if you have access to change that. XP and Win7 installs with this set to default to automatically restart.

At work we have no access to the control panel. The IT people (Irritating ****) only give us limited access to the system functions. They are paranoid that someone will have more knowledge than them, so restrict our access.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

JMHO,

Chris.......

On it's own, Virus Protection went back to on. Not sure what happened.....

beardeddone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At work we have no access to the control panel. The IT people (Irritating ****) only give us limited access to the system functions. They are paranoid that someone will have more knowledge than them, so restrict our access.

Then the only way to get that option changed is to contact whom ever calls the IT people and ask them to change it because of lost time and information from workers involved, as far as I know this is the only reason for windows operating system to just up and reboot..

chuckdee

Seaman Apprentice

I use Avira and it works well. Saved my butt a couple of times.