No Sea Trial ????

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: No Sea Trial ????

Definitely door No. 2. I fell in love with the Scout and flew a good way across the continent to check it out, money in hand. This after investigating online and by phone every available used one for sale within a thousand miles of me. (Total of 4...:rolleyes:)The stipulation was that we tow it to the nearest lake and I have at it for as long as it took to satisfy myself all was in order. Only then would any money change hands.

Now, after investing in a plane ticket and truck rental to tow it home, I was hoping like heck it checked out, and thankfully it did.

Even though the boat was low hours and the owner emailed me a pile of photos of it and the trailer, taken of various areas at my direction - the aforementioned airplane ride and truck rental were the extent of my investment (including a weekend's worth of my time) until I could see her run with my own two eyes.

There are just too many serious or deal-breaking items to discover during a sea trial to commit any money you aren't absolutely ready to lose, IMHO and anyone who throws up roadblocks or offers excuses as to why a trial isn't possible (assuming you can find local, wet water...) can't be too serious about selling or has some nasty surprises they are trying to hide.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I sold my last boat using option #2. Let's him know you're not just some tire kicker. Basically it's a done deal pending the sea trial. Good luck.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

The minute I decide to sell a boat I do so with the understanding that I'm gonna to be doing sea trials, even though they can be a time hassle and sometimes they end up being free boat rides but that comes with selling a boat, so I really don't want to hear no free boat rides from someone selling a boat.

timmyjoebob

Seaman

The minute I decide to sell a boat I do so with the understanding that I'm gonna to be doing sea trials, even though they can be a time hassle and sometimes they end up being free boat rides but that comes with selling a boat, so I really don't want to hear no free boat rides from someone selling a boat.

Amen to that. If you're in New Hampshire, like someone said, I wouldn't be expecting anybody to buy a boat I have to sell if my lake is frozen. I'd be waiting til Spring to sell. Water/sea trial is all a part of selling.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You guys are fantastic.

After looking over a few boats today this boat is still on the top of the list.

I avoided posting any in formation on this boat in this thread because the boat, make, model, year Ect is not the point of this topic. I dont care if its a 1,000 boat. I still feel a sea trial is a must.

Option two is most likey will be the option I take with any boat purchase I make.

Thanks.

lakshacain

Recruit

I also agree with the second option as it would make the chances of the sea trial more . .
I think you should go for second option.

ChrisNCarrie

Cadet

We just purchased a used boat over the weekend. We DID get a sea test, and the seller was more than happy to take a couple hours of his day to accomadate it. IMO there are an awful lot of great deals out there right now. And if he's unwilling to allow you a sea test, then move on. He's just not motivated enough to sell. If he's reluctant to let you take it out there probably is a reason.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We just purchased a used boat over the weekend. We DID get a sea test, and the seller was more than happy to take a couple hours of his day to accomadate it. IMO there are an awful lot of great deals out there right now. And if he's unwilling to allow you a sea test, then move on. He's just not motivated enough to sell. If he's reluctant to let you take it out there probably is a reason.

Thank you for your comments.

I just checked with the seller and the boat is still available. I'm prepared to make an offer this Saturday with the condition of a Sea Trial before any Green Backs is Exchange.

Unless another Boat comes along I like better in the mean time.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for your comments.

I just checked with the seller and the boat is still available. I'm prepared to make an offer this Saturday with the condition of a Sea Trial before any Green Backs is Exchange.

I just helped my neighbor buy a boat out here in Surprise. We offered the seller $40 non-refundable if we didn't buy the boat, and if we did it would go toward the selling price. He was asking $3,000 Firm 1991 19ft openbow Monterey 4.3.

Everything looked great as far as the deck, trailer, upholstery ect..But I told my buddy, don't buy it unless he'll let you drop in the lake. The seller agreed and let us take it home on Saturday, and bring it back on Sunday.

Well, we woke up and fired it up on the muffs before leaving and what did we find?? A leaking Fuel Pump and Gas in the crankcase. We took it down to a local shop here and he gave us a bill for $600-$700 worth of things he would do.
Complete engine/ drive service
Fix broken Cavitation plate
New Fuel Pump
New Bildge pump

Went back to the seller with the invoice after the mechanic told us that the boat will be fine once these things get done.

Offered him 1,800..he wanted 2,000 , bought it for $1,900:D

Long story short...ya just never know.

Maybe try offering him a small amount of non-refundable money to take it out yourself. Make sure the boat is insured!

Best $40 insurance my buddy ever bought.;)

Good luck.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just helped my neighbor buy a boat out here in Surprise. We offered the seller $40 non-refundable if we didn't buy the boat, and if we did it would go toward the selling price. He was asking $3,000 Firm 1991 19ft openbow Monterey 4.3.

Everything looked great as far as the deck, trailer, upholstery ect..But I told my buddy, don't buy it unless he'll let you drop in the lake. The seller agreed and let us take it home on Saturday, and bring it back on Sunday.

Well, we woke up and fired it up on the muffs before leaving and what did we find?? A leaking Fuel Pump and Gas in the crankcase. We took it down to a local shop here and he gave us a bill for $600-$700 worth of things he would do.
New Fuel Pump
New Bildge pump

Went back to the seller with the invoice after the mechanic told us that the boat will be fine once these things get done.

Maybe try offering him a small amount of non-refundable money to take it out yourself. Make sure the boat is insured!

Good luck.

Thank you for all your comments. Im glad someone comment local to me. Well almost local. Im in Gilbert.

How much did you pay for a mechanic check out.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for all your comments. Im glad someone comment local to me. Well almost local. Im in Gilbert.

How much did you pay for a mechanic check out.

He didn't charge us a dime..and we spent almost an hr going over stuff. My buddy has used him in the past on an old Cheetah he had, so there was some history there. My buddy did bring the boat back to have the repairs done though, so it worked out for him.

PowerSports is the shop..its in Glendale.

Good luck.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

This is why I recommend a mechanic checking out the engine over a sea trial and/or hull survey. On old boats, that where the $$ is.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is why I recommend a mechanic checking out the engine over a sea trial and/or hull survey. On old boats, that where the $$ is.

I would like to do both Sea Trial and Mechanic check out. The Sea Trail will tell me about the performance of the boat on the water.

Thanks for the comments.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

New Fuel Pump
New Bildge pump

Good luck.

Wow. That's some seller. I don't even let people test drive cars I'm selling without me sitting in the back seat. I can't imagine trusting someone to take my boat out without me for $40...you guys must have been pretty convincing. ;)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

well he might not want to do a sea test on ever guy that wants to kick tires!!!

another thing is the boat might be priced so low in his mind that it isnt worth the trouble of offereing a sea trial..

will he allow you to at least hear it run were it sets???

if not then you have to price it as if it needs work.... and then there is no suprise for you..

time is on your side... keep looking wait him out...

an informed buyer is a smarter buyer.

good luck

bob

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well he might not want to do a sea test on ever guy that wants to kick tires!!!

another thing is the boat might be priced so low in his mind that it isnt worth the trouble of offereing a sea trial..

will he allow you to at least hear it run were it sets???

if not then you have to price it as if it needs work.... and then there is no suprise for you..

time is on your side... keep looking wait him out...

an informed buyer is a smarter buyer.

good luck

bob

I think its priced about average. The boat is in great condition and I could'nt find anything wrong with it. I did hear it run with out any problems.

Thanks.

blairjbyrd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

second opt sounds fair. I wonder what this guy is trying to hide:confused:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Re: I would like to do both Sea Trial and Mechanic check out. The Sea Trail will tell me about the performance of the boat on the water.

This is a good point if you are not familiar with the type of boat. I didn't "sea trial" the 21' I bought this spring b/c it was a standard rig (motor matched to hull) and just like one a friend has that I have used, and the mechanics and hull condition checked out. So it would be important for an unfamiliar boat style or set-up.

I think the best way to boat-shop is to pick out your style based on your intended use and conditions, know the right size motor and other rigging, and only then go shopping. If you find one that's missing something you just work that into the price evaluation. Otherwise you spend a lot of time trying to make each boat you find fit into your needs.